Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images

1st Impressions: HammockGear Summer Burrow by Stormcrow

Purchased this tq to fill a gap. There was ~25*F gap between my two other tq. Could easily have survived using either tq for the in between zone, but decided to take advantage of Adam's Sale prices this past season. Bottom line was a few less $$s in the checking account and a few less ounces in the pack.

The digital scale is limping along. Accuracy is questionable and precision is definitely gone (+/- 1/8 to 1/4oz upon repeat weighings). Scale reading 15 3/8 to 15 7/8oz for total weight of tq and stuff sack. Adam's specs I think are 15.5oz. So the actual weight is probably as noted at HammockGear.com.

Stuff sack and top quilt build quality look to be 1st rate. Ideal size stuff sack. Easy to quickly stuff the tq in. If necessary the packed tq could be further compressed down into a smaller package.

Being a small person (size 7 foot, 37" chest, 29" waist, 5'4" "tall") the girth of the footbox feels roomy. Should be adequate for all except the real large footed individual. For hammock use I find the length of the foot box to be just right. Easy to slide in and out of yet deep enough to be functional. Might be an issue for ground dwellers using a torso or short pad. Girth at the shoulder for my body is nice. I have enough excess to easily tuck between the hammock and me. The adequate girth combined with IMO the best collar closing system allows the tq to seal tight around the body. Adam's closure is a single centered pull with a small cord lock . Snap the outside corners together, slip your head through, cinch down on the cord. The tq wraps around you shoulders and seals around you neck.

Backyard test hang has been limited to one night. Temps were suppose to drop into the mid to upper 30's under a clear sky with clouds drifting in by AM and 70% of rain by mid-day. The weather forecast was close. Except the clouds were already here at sunrise with rain approaching. The early arriving clouds kept temps from dropping much. Started the night at 46*F, no wind, low RH, star filled heavens. Only sounds were my resident owls, the badger on night patrol and the occasional acorn fluttering through the leaves and bouncing off of branches. Night time low was only ~42*F.

Gear used: WBTraveler 1.1 sl, WBBugNet, WB 3S Yeti uq, 1/8"GG ccf footpad and the new Summer Burrow. Hoping it would drop at least mid-30's I wore light weight baselayer, wool socks and the MontBell Thermawrap jacket. The MB hoodie except the hood was not needed for the milder temps. Wearing the MB under the tq was too warm. The 40*F rating for this "summer" tq is probably conservative. At least in combination with a warm 3 season uq. I'm basing this observation on the fact that I'm a cold sleeper. With the MB hoodie & an insulating pant layer I'm guessing this tq with the Yeti can get me down to 30*F feeling warm & comfortable. No condensation due to the relatively low RH. Inside "test" of the DWF. Formed a puddle containing ~4ml of tap water. Let stand for ~30 seconds. No wetting of material. Hit a section of the shell with a spray of water where a baffle is sewed. Beaded water rolled off. No wetting visualized at the stitches.

Conclusion: Well designed, quality construction. A relatively light weight small packing tq for those looking to cover temps down to at least the design specs. If this tq meets the test of time and use it's a 5* rating on a scale of 1 to 5*s.
    Noel V.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images

SummerBurrow update.

Real world use. Temps dropped down to mid and upper 30*F. The almost full moon, relatively calm breeze to dead calm. Experienced some of the heaviest condensation to date. Bottom side insulation was a 3S Yeti +GG 1/8" ccf as footpad, WB Traveler hammock, no bug net or tarp needed. the MontBell Thermawrap Parka (hoodie) over baselayer was my sleepwear. Toasty warm.

Initially upon awaking I thought the pool of moisture below my chin was from my breath. Nope, everything was moisture covered. The condensation by daybreak was so heavy it was dripping off the hammock, more than beading on the Summer Burrow.
    Good news was that the SB dwf kept the quilt dry. A quick shake and the surface was moisture free. Same for the Yeti. Several minutes of hanging in the sun hopefully drove any moisture within the SB & Yeti out. Happy about the Black color for both the Yeti and SB.
    Last edited by NCPatrick; 09-27-2010 at 13:13. Reason: User requested changes.
    Noel V.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Interesting ....... try sleeping sans the parka .... may be getting too warm and causing the condensation. I used to have the problem and went to sleeping with less on me and adding if and when I rise to pee around 4AM.
    Just a thought.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Interesting ....... try sleeping sans the parka .... may be getting too warm and causing the condensation. I used to have the problem and went to sleeping with less on me and adding if and when I rise to pee around 4AM.
    Just a thought.
    Shug
    I pretty much sleep like a dead stiff on a slab once in the hammock. Real cold may wake me. This is the 1st season with the exception of lake side sites where condensation has been a real issue. Once even thought my Spinn tarp lost the waterproofing due to the amount of moisture build up. Ground & surrounding foliage was real damp at wake up time. What surprised me was how damp the exposed hammock body was and how much moisture from head to toe had settled on the SB.
    Noel V.

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    a bug net can work for keeping condensation off your top quilt. perhaps next trip give the blackbird a go. i guess the same can be said for your tarp...

another option would be a vapor barrier close to your body (i sometimes wear a super light wind shirt) if you suspect you are part of the blame for hte condensation

• + New Posts