Getting centered on sleeping pad?

[This is being reposted from WhiteBlaze.Net]

I bought a Hennessy Hammock (expedition a-sym, I believe) and have practiced setting it up and using it as a chair. For the last few months, I haven't found any time to actually sleep in it.

However, I did practice getting inside and trying to manipulate my sleeping pad and bag (which I'll be using as an overquilt for now).

How the heck to does one setup the inside so they can get inside the hammock and then get comfortable and centered on the sleeping pad.

I felt like I was wrestling a squid while rolling side to side trying to get the sleeping pad in the middle and the put it diagonal. I tried for about 10 minutes and had to give up because my stomach muscles got tired.

Any suggestions? Other than of course saying to buy anything like an underquilt. I've already overspent my budget for this year's equipment.

Thanks,

beaudetious

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    What pad, CCF or inflatable?

CCf, trim to fit, apply a few globs of silicone caulk to one side, smear and let dry. The caulk will make small sticky patches, which will help hold the pad in place.
    Once dry...set pad in place, hold pad where you want it and slide yourself in on top the pad. It'll take some practicing..but once your set, its nighty night till mornin'. Use your sleeping bag as a topquilt and just lay it over you.

Inflatable. Let out a bunch of air so its soft and floppy, that way it will conform to your bends in the hammock. Use your sleeping as a topquilt.

You have a gear budget???? Not any more!!

Welcome to the forum.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

- Lay the pad on the diagonal (where you will sleep).
    - When you get in, have the sleeping bag positioned properly on the pad and sit well back into the bag/pad, then lift your feet in.
    - This is much easier with a left hand zip bag. If right hand zip, scrunch the top of the bag to be like a cylinder at the left side of the pad so that you can easily sit over it when you get in.
    - In general, get into the hammock with the sleeping bag and pad in place where they need to be. It is hard to move the sleeping bag, and almost impossible to move the pad, once you're in the hammock.

Hope this helps.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaudetious View Post
    I felt like I was wrestling a squid while rolling side to side trying to get the sleeping pad in the middle and the put it diagonal.

Hey, I'm with you! I have the same problem, after years of having a hammock. I mostly use inflatable pads and they never seem to stay in place through the night. I consider it simply one of the "negatives" of hammocking (though the same thing happens in a tent, especially on unlevel ground).

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    HH Ultralight Backpacker (only one)
    Tarp
    Stock
    Insulation
    BA Bag & Pad
    Suspension
    Stock
    I have a Big Agnes Lost Ranger sleeping bag. The sleeping bag has a sleeve that an inflatable pad fits into. I will mostly inflate the pad and slide it into the bag. I then put the bag where I want it in the hammock. There is still a little bit of wrestling to be done but once I get where I want it the bag and pad stay in place.

Well, I survived my first hang this past weekend. It was a great night for a test drive of my HH - no rain and a nearly full moon and the temps were around 60 degrees F. The only thing that really kept me awake was the fact I had to go to the bathroom about 3 or 4 times (thanks beer!) and that my two little kids were nearby and I was worried they'd get out of the tent without me there.

I used my Walmart CCF sleeping pad which was too long for the hammock. And I used a Fried Brothers down bag as a top quilt. I was pretty darn hot much of the night. I did sleep in my base layer too.

I positioned the pad on a diagonal and layed the bag off to the side of that. I then just sat on the edge and pushed and pulled myself onto the pad. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

I did end up with some sweat on the pad (and on me). I'll have to figure that out. When the temps dip lower, it'll be a little disconcerting to wake up wet like that.

When I got home, I trimmed the pad to about 3/4 length so that my feet hang over. And I trimmed the foot and head ends so they aren't square anymore. I think that will help too.

I appreciate the advice.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Sil Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Mt. Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I recommend the Thermarest Prolite 2/3 pad. It fits perfectly in my Expedition Deluxe.

Hammock
    BIAS 11 footer
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    pitbull Shamu
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaudetious View Post
    my two little kids were nearby and I was worried they'd get out of the tent without me there.
    Try putting a bell (like a bear bell or similar) on the fly zipper. You may sleep better knowing they can't get out without you hearing. Worked for us.
    Ken T.

“Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world.”
    ― John Muir
    Watches synchronized, sharp mind and empty bladder. You get caught, demand an attorney and don't ever say my name. - Agent Simmons
    "With your eyes closed you can't tell the difference between Tyvek and Cuben." - Knotty

Quote Originally Posted by muttly View Post
    Try putting a bell (like a bear bell or similar) on the fly zipper.
    That's a great idea. I'll do it next time for sure.

I just use the HH's in warmer weather when I don't need a pad or UQ and just a top quilt. I use my Clarks or WBBB for colder weather.

• + New Posts