DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks

Question Lightweight fabrics for UQ's?

I have no experience of working with either Cuben or spinn(yet) , and I'm assuming spinn is downproof.

Which fabric is the best for a UL down UQ, Cuben fibre 0.33 oz/sqyd or spinnaker fabric 0.5 oz/ sqyd?

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    Bump. Can anyone help?

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    spinn and cuben are both waterproof and not breathable and not wise choices for quilt.
    It can be done but you you need to sew in a ventilation strip to allow the down to breathe and vapor to escape.
    Packing it down might be a PITA, since you'll have to squish out the air from somewhere to get it back in the stuff sack.
    my 2 pesos
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    spinn and cuben are both waterproof and not breathable and not wise choices for quilt.
    It can be done but you you need to sew in a ventilation strip to allow the down to breathe and vapor to escape.
    Packing it down might be a PITA, since you'll have to squish out the air from somewhere to get it back in the stuff sack.
    my 2 pesos
    I'm thinking that a waterproof fabric would have desirable qualities for most of my use, and also save a bit of weight.
    I do a lot of hanging in the winter and its very damp over here. Condensation and frost gets everything wet through the night,and I'd be packing away a damp down underquilt every morning if it were made from an uncoated fabric.
    A waterproof fabric would keep the nice dry down seperated from the damp exterior.
    I'm thinking that the air would escape through the sewing holes on the cuben, reducing the PITA stuffing.
    Didn't consider the down needing to breathe though, condensation would probably slowly form on the inside of the cuben/spinn, slowly dampening the down. I would definitely need to incorporate a breathable panel to allow it to dry fully when I got home to air it, and allow easier stuffing/fluffing.
    I have some pertex to do a UQ, but I don't think its water repellent enough to cope with days of damp.

On the other hand, maybe I'm overthinking this and just need to sew up an UQ with pertex and use the cuben for a poncho and stuff sacks.

Whadd'ya think?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Sleeping BearTQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    Just remember, the fabric that a lot of us are using is water resistant. The water generally can be shaken off the fabric.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerminator View Post
    On the other hand, maybe I'm overthinking this and just need to sew up an UQ with pertex and use the cuben for a poncho and stuff sacks.

Whadd'ya think?
    Yup

To be honest mate I've never had any problems with my Snugfit or Unsponsored 3/4 over here. Been out in some pretty carp weather up in Scotland and never noticed any dampness. I think the heat escaping helps a little and the ripstop and pertex tend to shed any moisture.

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shewie View Post
    Yup

To be honest mate I've never had any problems with my Snugfit or Unsponsored 3/4 over here. Been out in some pretty carp weather up in Scotland and never noticed any dampness. I think the heat escaping helps a little and the ripstop and pertex tend to shed any moisture.
    Cheers Rich, Garg and DC. That has just about decided it for the pertex,I think I'll put the Cuben to other uses.

Hammock
    11' gathered end
    Tarp
    Hex 11' DIY
    Insulation
    Revolt/Enigma
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have used .33, .48 and .74 weights of CUBEN Fiber to make dozens of top quilts and i have made a few underquilts now as well. The cuben does act as a vapor barrier which at times is desirable and at times not. I recently read a post by YOUNGBLOOD about VB and found it very useful as i try to help people understand VB and decide if it is for them. The VB affect is easiest to use on an underquilt as there is a layer between you and the cuben and you can increase the air gap if you get too hot. The insultex that is all the rage right now breathes so poorly that it might as well be considered a VB and many many members here are using it. Sewing CUBEN isn't too hard and i think should be considered as a very usable option.

When i first started making CUBEN quilts (Epiphany series on my site) i used a stripe of breathable nylon on the outer shell to allow air in and out to aide in lofting, stuffing and drying. I have now found that in most situations it isn't needed and the needle punches from sewing the baffles and seaming the edges allow plenty of air in and out. If you will be using the quilt in wet humid environments the breathability stripe will improve your dry times if the down does get wet, which it doesn't too much since the majority of the quilt fabric is waterproof (all but the stripe if you order one)

I think cuben is a very viable option and wish i could keep up with my work load to get them out faster. I do have a cuben underquilt that is ready to ship if you wanted to try one out without the long wait.

-Tim

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    Hi Tim, thanks for the info.
    I am very tempted by your UQ. I checked out your site before, I was impressed.
    I didn't order one because I like the making gear, and figured I could save some money on the savage import duties our customs kindly liberate from us.
    I use a waterproof non breathable hammock, and I get on well with a vapour barrier which is why I was exploring cuben.

A while back I got some 1 oz dwr nylon ripstop at walmart for $1.50 per yd.

You can get .9 oz momentum at thru hiker for $13.60 a yard.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast