WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images

It's starting to shape up: a noob's comprehension of the big picture.

Ok. After a couple weeks lurking and reading and interacting, some of the details are starting make sense. At first I was starting to take it all in at once, but I had to step back, and like eating an elephant, I had to do this one bite at a time.

I started this discussion on the Grand Trunk, but let me continue it here in a more general approach. After Mickey.223 passed me an Excel spread sheet of the data (thanks, BTW!), I was really able to see and grasp the individual parts more clearly. I am looking at the GT SBUL and SBPro (especially the latter). The SBUL has a length of 9'6"; larger than all Hennessies but smaller than Warbarbonnets. The SBPro is larger than most anything else, but is still narrower than either the HH or WB. (I am not looking at either a HH or WB, necessarily, just using them for comparison).

1) What can I expect from the narrower profile of either of these GT models?

2) For the SBPro with a length of 10'6", how much larger of a trap should I be looking at in order to get complete rain coverage?

3) What other considerations should I be thinking about which I may have missed?

I hope I am not being too wordy or overthinking in my approach. It seems unlikely that I will have a reasonable opportunity to really try out any of these hammocks without buying one, so I want to make sure I am making a reasonable decision....
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    I think what we need on this forum is an interactive, database-driven hammock GUI that will let you pick and choose different hammock components and see how they work together -- kind of like when you go to an automobile manufacturer's website and you pick the color, trim, transmission, etc. And then you can spin it in 3D, just for fun.

*sigh*

The Grand Trunk hammocks you selected are great and will serve you well. Good price, good size, if it fits your body type.

Wider, longer hammocks are often heralded as "more comfortable". Integrated bug nets can sometimes make a hammock feel a bit smaller.

Any tarp with at least a 12' ridgeline will serve you well, and will fit most hammocks. You can always go a bit smaller, but most people like the safety and coverage of larger tarps.

If you are very worried, see if you can hook up with another hammock enthusiast to try out some hammocks.

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    All right. I am about to purchase my hammock. As I have suggested, I am going for a Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro. For now I will be "borrowing" a Noah's tarp, and upgrading later (but I have a good idea what I want).

I need some help guiding me to the right suspension. Whoopie slings are what so many of you are going with, and I can see why. I am considering Opie's "All in One" system. But not having hung before, I have no reference at all regarding what length suspension I need.

Ideas?
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Skipper View Post
    All right. I am about to purchase my hammock. As I have suggested, I am going for a Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro. For now I will be "borrowing" a Noah's tarp, and upgrading later (but I have a good idea what I want).

I need some help guiding me to the right suspension. Whoopie slings are what so many of you are going with, and I can see why. I am considering Opie's "All in One" system. But not having hung before, I have no reference at all regarding what length suspension I need.

Ideas?
    I find that having 6' of suspension cord beyond the hammock is almost always more than enough. A pair of 6' whoopie slings will serve you well.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    Thanks for the quick reply. I am right now running through your videos. Great stuff and very informative.....

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Suspension
    Whoopie to Webbing
    I have whoopies from Arrowhead on my SBP and found that when attached to the hammock and then to the straps...its a little hard finding trees with proper distance....the hammock it just really long. I was using straps around tree to biner...to whoopies...to hammock....so I recently dropped the biner and use a marlin spike now....this helps shorten the distance a bit more.

Good luck!

• + New Posts