DIY Speer
    Tarp
    DIY Spinnaker
    Insulation
    3-season Yeti
    Suspension
    webbing or whoopie

Weekend in the Sipsy with snow!

After watching the weather for a week we knew the the temps were gonna be 20 on Friday night and 26 on Saturday night. Upon arrival we found a winter wonderland of snow covered ground and icicles hanging from overhangs, AND an uncleared road to our trailhead. Being in a 2 wheel drive car we were unable to get to the intended trail we researched and mapped out so well, so here the adventure begins. Re-routing to the only accessible trailhead in the area we parked and looked at a map of the area and hiked away from the car at 1am Saturday morning. After hiking for a bit we set up camp and got in the hammocks for some rest. Waking up and looking out into the snowy forest was incredible! I'm from Florida and this was my first time hiking/camping in snow. After making some breakfast we got going down the trail for Day 2 camp. Following the Sipsy river we found a nice East facing ridge to camp on and as a bonus there was a cave right around the corner from us. That night we had a nice fire in the cave and went to bed warm as toast(and stayed that way till morning). Woke up early and headed back to the car only to find we left a light on and the battery was dead! Good thing it was a stick shift and after breaking the tires loose from their icey hold we were jumped off and headed back to the Gulf Coast. Beautiful trip, great weather, dry feet and a warm butt!

I uploaded some pics from the trip to my album, I hope it works!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Good old stick shifts! Glad you had a successful trip. Thanks for the pics - album works just fine. Come back in the fall for the Halloween trip.
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    OES MacCat's
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Whoa! that is so cool. I've never been there, but something about that area tells me to get there.
    Very nice photos and trip report. Thanks for that. Awesome looking place.
    I need to make it there late winter, early spring this year.

Images
    I'm from Florida and this was my first time hiking/camping in snow.
    Congrats on your first successful snow hang adventure. It can become very addicting.

thanks for the report.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Sipsey in snow...

Wonderful!
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    My first backpacking trip ever was to the Sipsey some 30 years ago. Woke around 2:00 am when my tube tent collapsed under weight of an unexpected snow.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Coaster:
    Reminds me of my first trip to the Sipsey...........we hike in on a beautiful day, cross several flooded creeks and camp just up the trail from a beautiful waterfall in a sheltered cove area. Wake up the next morning and everything is covered in frozen whiteness, man I will never forget my first trip to the Sipsey. Thank you for reminding me how beautiful that area can be and glad you made it out of there!!!!!!!!
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Images
    Coaster, I feel your joy about your first Sipsey trip being a snowy one!

Quote Originally Posted by bigbamaguy View Post
    Coaster:
    Reminds me of my first trip to the Sipsey...........we hike in on a beautiful day, cross several flooded creeks and camp just up the trail from a beautiful waterfall in a sheltered cove area. Wake up the next morning and everything is covered in frozen whiteness, man I will never forget my first trip to the Sipsey. Thank you for reminding me how beautiful that area can be and glad you made it out of there!!!!!!!!
    WhooBuddy, I'm with you on that BBG, that was also my first ever Sipsey trip (and I only live about 90 miles from there)!

That first snow covered experience, camped just a very short distance from the ROARING Fall Creek Falls, will always rate as one of my most memorable trips. For one thing, it was just so much more than I expected on an AL hike.

On my last trip to FC Falls, during the drought and fire ban of last fall, it was not roaring and in fact was just barely a trickle. Still, it was a fun trip. It was my Grandson's (age 9) 1st hike in overnight backpack.

And thanks to Angrysparrow, Thomas and Skippy ( who am I forgetting? ) for introducing us to that (nearby for me) AL treasure!

where are your pictures at? I didn't see a link to any album in your post nor are any in your gallery
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    They are in his personal album. Click his name to see his profile, and click the Album on the right side of the page.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast