Hammock
    HammockBliss no see um
    Suspension
    home made webbing
    Images

BugNet attatched to tarp?

I was wondering if anyone had ever thought about attaching bug netting to the edges of thier tarp for bug protection? Like one of those bug nets for an army cot. That way it could hang all the way to the ground to keep out mosquetos, no zipper, just lift it up and go under. Do you think that would work or would there be problems with this idea?

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    I like this!!!! I may have to do some weekend exploring. What to do about length and what-not though?

Rick

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    one problem with this that i can see is condensation transfer
    all the condensation that builds up on your tarp will go right to the bug net
    that and your talking about a lot of extra bugnetting that you wouldn't really need ..so you are going tt have some extra weight in your pack

still if you do make one...post some pics
    i would like to see how it comes out
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End w DIY Bug Net
    Tarp
    DIY Black Sil
    Insulation
    DIY Insultex
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    I have thought of this several times.

I really dig the bug net throw over. Stormcrow, I believe has a great design about a net that hangs over the ridgeline that you weigh down with build in pockets that do a good job of keeping bugs out of gathered ends.

Here's what stopped me. I LOVE hanging without a tarp and I do whenever I can get away with it. I at least keep it in snakeskins until I need it. it just kinda sucks when you HAVE to have your tarp up go escape skeeters.

my .02

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by leroybrown View Post
    I have thought of this several times.

I really dig the bug net throw over. Stormcrow, I believe has a great design about a net that hangs over the ridgeline that you weigh down with build in pockets that do a good job of keeping bugs out of gathered ends.

Here's what stopped me. I LOVE hanging without a tarp and I do whenever I can get away with it. I at least keep it in snakeskins until I need it. it just kinda sucks when you HAVE to have your tarp up go escape skeeters.

my .02
    yeah i like the idea of the pockets....i would hate to carry around all the extra weight

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    A few issues with "to-the-ground netting"..

Bugs- Not only skeeters, but ants, spiders and other creepy crawlies now have a road to the hammock. If your sealed in a sewn on, zipper style net they can't get to you.

Weight/Bulk- A full size net big enough to allow you access and fit all the way around the hammock would be somewhat heavy and certainly bulky. To me, the size of a given piece of equipment is as important as the weight. Pack size and pack volume need to be considered. A mosquito room may not weigh much, but it could take up a lot of valuable pack space.

Dirt-Dragging the netting on the ground to get a good seal would eventually damage the netting and get dirty/wet, creating re-packing issues.

Wind- When the wind blows the net will billow and float free, unless it is staked or weighted somehow. Stakes add more weight..

But it can be done , those are just some reasons why it is not as practical for some. If you were car camping and weight and size are not issues, bring it or bring a pop up mosquito room/gazeebo and hang in that.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    HammockBliss no see um
    Suspension
    home made webbing
    Images
    I think i am liking the pocket idea also. I figured there were probably a bunch of negatives for this, just wanted to see what they were

Thanks guys.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    A few issues with "to-the-ground netting"..

Bugs- Not only skeeters, but ants, spiders and other creepy crawlies now have a road to the hammock. If your sealed in a sewn on, zipper style net they can't get to you.

Weight/Bulk- A full size net big enough to allow you access and fit all the way around the hammock would be somewhat heavy and certainly bulky. To me, the size of a given piece of equipment is as important as the weight. Pack size and pack volume need to be considered. A mosquito room may not weigh much, but it could take up a lot of valuable pack space.

Dirt-Dragging the netting on the ground to get a good seal would eventually damage the netting and get dirty/wet, creating re-packing issues.

Wind- When the wind blows the net will billow and float free, unless it is staked or weighted somehow. Stakes add more weight..

But it can be done , those are just some reasons why it is not as practical for some. If you were car camping and weight and size are not issues, bring it or bring a pop up mosquito room/gazeebo and hang in that.
    Good points gargoyle i didn't think of bugs having a way in....
    i think it would work..but like gargoyle said there are alot of drawbacks from this setup
    if it was me i would just make one that hangs on the RL...and put pockets in the corner and put some trail rocks in to weight it down...but thats just me

Hammock
    DEBATING eno and diy at the moment
    Tarp
    outdoor Research
    Insulation
    20° incubator :)
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    I use a bug net designed for a cot.i tie the edges to the supporting trees and I made some holes in the ends to run an eno through ...I just tie the extra netting below the hammock in a loose knot...works well for car camping and cheap...picked some up from rei for about $15 ...a perfect solution for now until I make some of my own

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leroybrown View Post
    ...I really dig the bug net throw over. Stormcrow, I believe has a great design about a net that hangs over the ridgeline that you weigh down with build in pockets that do a good job of keeping bugs out of gathered ends.
    Sure wish I HAD come up with it. Alas, this idea was around before I discovered the joy of hammock camping!
    Owner/Founder at Hammockgear.com - Hammock Camping Outfitters
    Home of the Burrow, the Incubator, and the Phoenix

• + New Posts