Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    Have we determined a length yet? Are we talking a three dayer? I wouldn't mind a little hiking, but if the purpose of the hang is to meet others, it might be cool to be close to "base" to facilitate cookouts etc.

Hammock
    BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Delux
    Insulation
    HG 3/4 - UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TFC Rick View Post
    ...if the purpose of the hang is to meet others, it might be cool to be close to "base" to facilitate cookouts etc.
    Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I know the stock campgrounds are pricey (although the cost is per site - I'm not sure how many hammocks that could be) and also not very adventurous. On the other hand; having a few shin-dig dinners together would be a lot of fun (and possibly a beverage). I think a good compromise would be to have an organizing "base" where we'd meet, eat and hang out. Plan and do excursions from there.

I'm not very good at sitting around in camp so I'll probably log some trail miles or if the weather is nice dive or canoe the springs. (The water is 72 degrees from the spring year round).

I don't think anyone's feelings will be hurt if a portion of the group hikes off for a couple of days. With a larger group you could probably arrange a ride with someone out to a distant trailhead so you only have to hike one-way back to camp.

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.7
    Tarp
    Mac Cat Ultra
    Insulation
    thermarest, DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies and strap
    Images
    That sounds like a great plan--something for everyone. Given that this is Florida it is nice to keep things open for folks who just want a winter break but are not up for milage. We need to get the details on campsite costs and figure out how we would get that paid for. One thing I would like to see us do though is set aside some central time so that this gathering of the tribes can discuss the formation of a Association of FLorida Hammock Campers (or some such thing) so that we can set about getting the legislature to change the no hanging rules in state parks rule. I mean what the heck is that about? We have no helmet laws or auto inspection! You'd think that this would be a no brainer.
    Hedgehogs! Why can't they just share the hedge?

FH3 REPORTS AND PICS http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=66682
    FH4 In the Planning Now! Ask me for more......
    "Vada a Bordo, Cazzo!"

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    I'm digging the thought of some good day hikes. We don't have to be in a campsite per-se, but I would like to be somewhere safe.

I have family in Ft. White that owns a 100 acre tree farm. I could see if we could hang there for a small fee. Lots of parks and whatnot real close to them.

Hammock
    BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Delux
    Insulation
    HG 3/4 - UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by molawns View Post
    ...Alexander Springs is my personal favorite...
    Quote Originally Posted by screwloose
    Has anyone looked into Hidden Pond? Its quite a primitive spot, about a 2mile hike starting @ the Yearlying Trail Head off of SR 19. It over looks the Juniper Parie Wetland and has a spring fed pond that is very clear.
    I downloaded the GPS data for the FL trail and it looks like Alex Springs would be a good "basecamp" choice. Clearwater Lake trailhead is about 9-10 trail-miles to the South, it'd make a nice day-hike. Juniper springs is about twice that distance to the North and would make a nice 2-day. I think Hidden Pond is a bit farther North of Juniper. The trail to it it might make a good drop-off point for a multi day back to Alex.

The wetlands are not so undesirable in the winter as there are fewer mosquitos and gnats and it is the dry season. It should be cool and dry.

If you don't want to spend the $$ on the campsite-in-a-can, the primitive camping rules alng the FT are very friendly, you could hang 100 yards down the trail.
    Last edited by Damifino; 09-27-2010 at 07:41. Reason: updated location of Hidden Pond

Hammock
    BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Delux
    Insulation
    HG 3/4 - UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flackfizer View Post
    ... One thing I would like to see us do though is set aside some central time so that this gathering of the tribes can discuss the formation of a Association of FLorida Hammock Campers (or some such thing) so that we can set about getting the legislature to change the no hanging rules in state parks rule....
    Good idea. If nothing else, we could sit around and complain like most deliberative bodies.

Hammock
    Clark TX-250 Camo
    Tarp
    10X10 or 12X12
    Insulation
    Clark Z liner
    Suspension
    rings and straps
    Images
    The "base camp" concept is a good one, in my opinion, and should be given serious consideration.

It sometimes helps to remember that not everyone here on the forums is a hiker/backpacker. Hammockers can have a number of different hobbies, and I see no reason to potentially ostracize someone (by choosing a "hike in" location) just because they don't backpack.

A "base camp" gives everybody a chance to meet-and-greet and check out the hammock rigs (the whole primary reason for a group hang), but it also allows for a central location from which to take side jaunts of a person's choosing, whether it's hiking/backpacking, kayaking/canoeing, birdwatching/sightseeing, fishing, etc.

Whereever or whatever we all choose, let's try to remember that the main focus is hammocking, not some other, but possibly related, outdoor hobby.

That's just my $0.02
    Yesterday's tomorrow is tomorrow's yesterday. It's the only day that counts.

Hammock
    Clark TX-250 Camo
    Tarp
    10X10 or 12X12
    Insulation
    Clark Z liner
    Suspension
    rings and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flackfizer View Post
    I should add that I may be able to get us access to a private university-owned primitive campground on the Hillsborough River. It is on a 2.5 mile loop trail in pretty typical local flora covered patch of woods. Just something to add into the mix.
    Wow! That would be a pretty incredible opportunity, if you could score access to that!
    Yesterday's tomorrow is tomorrow's yesterday. It's the only day that counts.

Hammock
    BMBH/WBBB 1.7db
    Tarp
    11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    MtWash3/Sierra Sni
    Suspension
    w.s./straps/marlin
    Hey molawns, I was not trying to overlook anyone with Hidden Pond. Having hung their a few times before I saw a real nice place that offered alot and might be worth a 2 mile hike in.

Hammock
    Warbonet Traveler
    Tarp
    Golite 8x10
    Insulation
    KAQ "Lost River"
    Suspension
    Warbonet Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Damifino View Post
    Juniper springs is about twice that distance to the North and would make a nice 2-day. I think Hidden Pond is a bit farther North of Juniper. The trail to it it might make a good drop-off point for a multi day back to Alex.
    I've done this Spring to Spring hike a few times. Car shuttling isn't too hard and there's a campsite somewhere in the middle between Alexander and Juniper Springs. I think it's called Farles (?) lake, and has a hand pump well for water and some primitive campsites along the lake. You'll hear the gators making noise all night long.

Look for very sugar sandy trails that can be a little difficult at times.
    Sorry, I can't remember the distance from Alexander to Farles lake, but there's no other water source other then the well. Think it's 4-6 miles.

The springs are awesome to swim. They're both national parks and require a small day use fee to swim.

Salt Springs is north of Juniper on the FT if you add another day or two to the hike.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast