Switchback
    Tarp
    OES MacCat's
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    ...Me still waiting on delivery of my WBBB, Cannot wait to get out there hanging.

Did a date or even what month get established yet? Wasn't sure.
    I'd also like some time backpacking semi-mild, easy [<10 trail miles] if its possible with a few of you more experienced. I promise I won't drag you down.
    The thought of moving in for a few miles prior to establishing camp appeals to me. Also something more primitive is more appealing, than a canned-campsite.
    2-3 nights also sounds good.

-islander

Hammock
    Clark TX-250 Camo
    Tarp
    10X10 or 12X12
    Insulation
    Clark Z liner
    Suspension
    rings and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skrewloose View Post
    Hey molawns, I was not trying to overlook anyone with Hidden Pond. Having hung their a few times before I saw a real nice place that offered alot and might be worth a 2 mile hike in.
    That's cool! I wasn't directing my opinions specifically towards you, skrewloose. I was just stating the fact that not everyone who hammocks is into hiking as well.

I was just asking folks to consider other options which might be inclusive to everyone, whether they like hiking or not.

I'm good with whatever we all decide on...as long as it doesn't conflict with my work schedule and the chosen location (Ocala or not) is a reasonable distance from me, I'll be there!
    Yesterday's tomorrow is tomorrow's yesterday. It's the only day that counts.

Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    OES MacCat's
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Alexander Springs

...molawns,
    Have you ever launched your kayak at Alexander Springs for numerous nights camping via the kayaks? Looks really good. Maybe even scoping it out before the larger Florida Group Hang event.
    Was wondering how the parking is for leaving a vehicle over multiple nights there.
    Intriguing from some photos I saw of the area. I've not been there, obviously.

-islander

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.7
    Tarp
    Mac Cat Ultra
    Insulation
    thermarest, DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies and strap
    Images
    We seem to be focusing in on January sometime. I have an email into the University park manager and I will see soon if that is even an option. Kind of hope it is--there are trails nearby even if the one there is short, and there is a kayak and canoe launch. The site may be restricted to university community access though. That, or they may think that my quest for information means that somehow I am looking to make up their budgetary short fall for them. At any rate, we seem to be getting closer to a location one way or another.

And Islander--when did you order your WBBB? I have one in the pipeline as of very recently and would love to compare notes.
    Hedgehogs! Why can't they just share the hedge?

FH3 REPORTS AND PICS http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=66682
    FH4 In the Planning Now! Ask me for more......
    "Vada a Bordo, Cazzo!"

Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    OES MacCat's
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flackfizer View Post
    ...And Islander--when did you order your WBBB? I have one in the pipeline as of very recently and would love to compare notes.
    January will br great. That will give me some time to workout my hanging setup before I get in a group of hangers.
    I ordered my WBBB 9/20, Monday. Brandon confirmed in an email it would be upwards of two weeks before it shipped.
    Waiting on it as patiently as possible.

-islander

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.7
    Tarp
    Mac Cat Ultra
    Insulation
    thermarest, DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies and strap
    Images
    Brandon confirmed in an email it would be upwards of two weeks before it shipped.
    Waiting on it as patiently as possible.
    Well as we say--wear it out in good health. Looking forward to comparing notes with you.
    Hedgehogs! Why can't they just share the hedge?

FH3 REPORTS AND PICS http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=66682
    FH4 In the Planning Now! Ask me for more......
    "Vada a Bordo, Cazzo!"

Hammock
    Clark TX-250 Camo
    Tarp
    10X10 or 12X12
    Insulation
    Clark Z liner
    Suspension
    rings and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by islander View Post
    ...molawns,
    Have you ever launched your kayak at Alexander Springs for numerous nights camping via the kayaks? Looks really good. Maybe even scoping it out before the larger Florida Group Hang event.
    Was wondering how the parking is for leaving a vehicle over multiple nights there.
    Intriguing from some photos I saw of the area. I've not been there, obviously.

-islander
    Hey Islander!

Sorry for not getting back with you sooner...I missed your post until now.

I haven't done the entire trip down to the St. John's River...just to the "take out" on Forest Road 18. I forget the exact mileage, but it's nowhere near a long enough stretch to do a multi-day trip....just a long day trip at a leisurely pace. I'd love to do the entire stretch, though! It might take some fancy logistics, however. The Forest Road take-out is the only take-out spot along the entire stretch of Alexander Creek (Spring Run) until you get on the St. John's River...then it's a couple miles further travelling from there.

I would highly advise against leaving your vehicle at the take out. It's a weekend party spot for the locals, as evidenced by the trash and broken beer bottles everywhere. It's also one spot where drug traffic is suspected. The best place to leave vehicles, IMO, is inside the designated campgrounds. You'll most likely be charged a fee, but to me it's worth it for the peace of mind that you won't come back to broken windows and a looted vehicle.

Sorry if I come across a little paranoid...I really prefer to err on the side of caution. Anyway, here's a good Forest map PDF that might be of some help to you...

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5192654.pdf
    Yesterday's tomorrow is tomorrow's yesterday. It's the only day that counts.

Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    OES MacCat's
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by molawns View Post
    ...Hey Islander!
    I would highly advise against leaving your vehicle at the take out. It's a weekend party spot for the locals, as evidenced by the trash and broken beer bottles everywhere. It's also one spot where drug traffic is suspected. The best place to leave vehicles, IMO, is inside the designated campgrounds. You'll most likely be charged a fee, but to me it's worth it for the peace of mind that you won't come back to broken windows and a looted vehicle.

Sorry if I come across a little paranoid...I really prefer to err on the side of caution. Anyway, here's a good Forest map PDF that might be of some help to you...

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5192654.pdf
    I hear you MoLawns. I agree. Better to be safe than sorry with leaving the vehicle overnight and confidence its going to be there the next day or day after.
    I often wonder how often thats a problem with multi-day hikers/campers and in unfamiliar areas.

Wouldn't mind getting together with you or another to do some overnighter scouting with the kayaks. Maybe some workups to the Florida hang in January. Any other takers? Me still waiting on the WBBB. Kayak and other gear ready to go.

-islander

Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    OES MacCat's
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    ...p.s. MoLawns,

Thanks for the Ocala NF Map. Some really detailed info on the area.

-islander

Images

Juniper area info

Newbie here, and first post. Sorry to be long winded, but I just wanted to throw this info out there. I'll be going to Juniper Springs tomorrow for my first non-backyard hang. I don't know their official policy on hammocks, but I have a friend that has hung there before without being hassled. I may ask the park workers about that AFTER we've hung for the weekend.

Hidden Pond is a 5.2 mile hike from Juniper and from there to Hopkins Prairie is about another 5 - 5.5 miles. Juniper Camping fees are $21 per night for 2 vehicles/5person per site. Hopkins Prairie is 5$ or $10 per night (conflicting information) and is also accessible by car. We recently did a day hike in the area between Juniper and hidden pond and it is called Juniper Prairie "Wilderness" for a reason. Due to fires in 2007 and 2009 it is mostly palmettos and burned trees, but an interesting area to hike.

The Juniper Canoe run is also alot of fun but quite challenging. It's very narrow in some areas and downed trees create significant obstacles along the way. Also, for non Florida natives the close proximity to gators may be frightening. We passed by a 6-7 footer sitting on the bank less than 8 ft from us . If you rent a canoe from the park you get a free shuttle back to the campground.

Overall, it is a nice area, with lots of options.

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast