Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Images
    Flackfizer's University camping area sounds like a really cool option as well if it is available. I too would like to say thanks to MoLawns for the PDF map. It will be a great resource. And to say thanks to the whole community here. There is so much helpful info here on the site, and the friendliness of the members is outstanding.

Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    OES MacCat's
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks "theflb", for all the useful info. I'm looking forward to my first hang in that area later in October.

Welcome to the forums...

-islander

Hammock
    Clark TX-250 Camo
    Tarp
    10X10 or 12X12
    Insulation
    Clark Z liner
    Suspension
    rings and straps
    Images
    Welcome to the forums!

Quote Originally Posted by theflb View Post
    The Juniper Canoe run is also alot of fun but quite challenging. It's very narrow in some areas and downed trees create significant obstacles along the way. Also, for non Florida natives the close proximity to gators may be frightening. We passed by a 6-7 footer sitting on the bank less than 8 ft from us . If you rent a canoe from the park you get a free shuttle back to the campground.
    I don't know when the last time you canoed the Juniper Spring Run was, but I was there just 2 weeks ago (in the day use area), and they had signs up saying that personal boats (canoes or kayaks) weren't allowed to be brought in anymore...you have to rent their canoes, and that's the only option. I guess the new policy stems from that guy who got his arm ripped off by the gator a while back.
    Yesterday's tomorrow is tomorrow's yesterday. It's the only day that counts.

Hammock
    BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Delux
    Insulation
    HG 3/4 - UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    .... I guess the new policy stems from that guy who got his arm ripped off by the gator a while back.
    Yes, I can see how a rented canoe would prevent future attacks...

(please excuse my sarcasm, I have a particular affection for policies like this. I'm sure someone was looking for an angle to force folks to rent the canoes; the gator was the best that they could come up with.)

Hammock
    Diy
    Tarp
    FF
    Insulation
    lost river
    Suspension
    whoopies
    The GF and I are game to join.
    Most of our camping is done on the spoil islands in central florida (titusville area).
    Canaveral national seashore has some great island campsites and safe parking for future adventures.
    Looking forward to the trip...

Hammock
    Clark TX-250 Camo
    Tarp
    10X10 or 12X12
    Insulation
    Clark Z liner
    Suspension
    rings and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Damifino View Post
    Yes, I can see how a rented canoe would prevent future attacks...

(please excuse my sarcasm, I have a particular affection for policies like this. I'm sure someone was looking for an angle to force folks to rent the canoes; the gator was the best that they could come up with.)
    Sarcasm well taken. I agree...some of these policies nowadays are ridiculous!

I don't know the entire story, but I believe the guy was in his own boat and backcountry camping somewhere along Juniper Spring Run.

The Forest Service has no way to regulate what people do with their own watercraft, but the rental boats must be returned by the end of the day or they come looking for you. I'm sure that's at least partly why the change-over has taken place. It won't stop gator attacks, but it might help limit or prevent people who have no business being out there in the first place doing stupid things and taking unnecessary risks, whether it's on overnight trips or around dusk/night when gators are more active.
    Yesterday's tomorrow is tomorrow's yesterday. It's the only day that counts.

Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    OES MacCat's
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by molawns View Post
    ...might help limit or prevent people who have no business being out there in the first place doing stupid things and taking unnecessary risks, whether it's on overnight trips or around dusk/night when gators are more active.
    Always sorry to hear of anyone getting maimed or seriously hurt, but...
    Common sense needs to rule overall. Next thing you know they'll not allow anyone to venture into the woods after dark.

-islander

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by molawns View Post
    Welcome to the forums!

I don't know when the last time you canoed the Juniper Spring Run was, but I was there just 2 weeks ago (in the day use area), and they had signs up saying that personal boats (canoes or kayaks) weren't allowed to be brought in anymore...you have to rent their canoes, and that's the only option. I guess the new policy stems from that guy who got his arm ripped off by the gator a while back.
    Interesting. We were actually did the run two weeks ago on the 18th. We went with 2 of our own canoes and no one mentioned it to us. The guy at the launch also asked if we had lifejackets and when we said no, his response was "Well if you get caught you'll have to pay a fine... Go ahead." So it may be an unenforced rule, but I'll keep an eye out for those signs this time. Thanks for the heads up.

Hammock
    Warbonet Traveler
    Tarp
    Golite 8x10
    Insulation
    KAQ "Lost River"
    Suspension
    Warbonet Straps
    Images

Hey Ocala Florida Boy!

Quote Originally Posted by theflb View Post
    Newbie here, and first post. Sorry to be long winded, but I just wanted to throw this info out there. I'll be going to Juniper Springs tomorrow for my first non-backyard hang. I don't know their official policy on hammocks, but I have a friend that has hung there before without being hassled. I may ask the park workers about that AFTER we've hung for the weekend.

Hidden Pond is a 5.2 mile hike from Juniper and from there to Hopkins Prairie is about another 5 - 5.5 miles. Juniper Camping fees are $21 per night for 2 vehicles/5person per site. Hopkins Prairie is 5$ or $10 per night (conflicting information) and is also accessible by car. We recently did a day hike in the area between Juniper and hidden pond and it is called Juniper Prairie "Wilderness" for a reason. Due to fires in 2007 and 2009 it is mostly palmettos and burned trees, but an interesting area to hike.

The Juniper Canoe run is also alot of fun but quite challenging. It's very narrow in some areas and downed trees create significant obstacles along the way. Also, for non Florida natives the close proximity to gators may be frightening. We passed by a 6-7 footer sitting on the bank less than 8 ft from us . If you rent a canoe from the park you get a free shuttle back to the campground.

Overall, it is a nice area, with lots of options.
    Ocala is my home town! ( ok, more like Belleview) Your right about Juniper run and the Gators.Also, snakes hanging from tree branches add to the effect. Were you able to get a reservation at Juniper? The last I remember it was first come first serve, but that was many years ago.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Zeti UQ & WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Eight pages and all I know is that it is somewhere near Ocala in January... details please for those of us thinking about coming! If you can edit your first post it helps so we don't have to read a bunch of pages about the possibilities...

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast