Images

Winter Pads & Underquilts

Hi Hammock Hangers,

Winter is approaching and I have been gearing up for cold weather (single digits). I am ready to upgrade my underquilt / pad.

What winter pad do you use and what R value is it rated?

I have a JRB nest and use it with a Ridgerest along the hammock & Z-rest across the shoulders. I have slept with this setup to 21* albeit a little cool.

I have considered the JRB ORM at 25 oz & $269 or a POE Hyper High Mountain sleeping pad at 25 oz & $165. It has a R value of 20 in the aerogel areas & 8 elsewhere. It is a bit too narrow for a hammock at 20".

Your opinions please.

Thanks,
    Egads

Thanks for your responses.

Egads

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    I think the Speer SPE is the best choice for really cold weather when only pads are used. You have the ability to use up to 3" in pad thickness while keeping the pads together. The option of the 30" wide or 40" wide model really helps with shoulder and hip areas. That would get you down to some arctic like temps.
    www.speerhammocks.com/Products/SPE.htm
    You could borrow one of mine next time we go camping Egads and see if you like it.
    Maybe we can go to Brasstown Bald @ 4,784' and see how low we can go.
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 11-04-2007 at 15:52.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i've not kept up w/ the "R values" for different pads & under quilts, but a couple pads that i have found really useful & effective in winter are the down air mats (DAM) by exped & warmlight.
    but you'll still need the SPE to cover the sides if you don't use an under quilt. i still use an under quilt w/ my DAM in winter.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'm happy with my Exped Downmat 7...but remember that with any inflatables, if something goes wrong in seriously cold weather you could be in trouble. But I've been in low teens with high winds before I got slightly chilled with this one. I think it would be good in single digits only with a protected site, and would easily work in single digits with a warm water bottle.

The POE was designed for ground use where the only body parts that really need insulation are the ones with the aerogel...which is not the case with a hammock. I'm not sure how warm it would keep you in single digits. But I'm not sure how the R vaues stack up so it might be better than many other options. I'd be interested to hear your temp and moisture management results if you choose that pad.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    What kind of hammock do you have? A top loader? If so, have you considered Speer's PeaPod? I have read some rave user reviews of these. I think they are rated quite conservatively as far as bottom insulation goes. I have wanted one for a long time. I have a friend that just bought an older 55* model. He is tickled pink with it. First night at 35*, he had his big agnes zirkel and BA air mattress. About 2am, he woke up burning up and opened the PPod top to cool down. Next night, at about the same temp, he put a thermarest under the hammock on top of the PeaPod, and put just a fleece liner inside the PeaPod. He says he slept toasty warm all night.

A properly hung JRB ORM is great. I was in 35 degree weather with fairly strong winds and toasty warm a few weekends ago. I'm guessing wind chill had to put that down into the teens. Didn't test it beyond that, though.

Images
    I just got a reply email from gossamer gear - they are out of stock on the wide pads and are not sure if they will re-order them. **** - this is the second item i tried to buy that went out of supply - the first was the neo 12 x 12.

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    I just got a reply email from gossamer gear - they are out of stock on the wide pads and are not sure if they will re-order them. **** - this is the second item i tried to buy that went out of supply - the first was the neo 12 x 12.
    Oware sells wide 1/4 pads.

Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    Oware sells wide 1/4 pads.

i have a GG thinlight pad, narrow. i like it and wanted a wide one - but i got the same response last week.

they suggested gluing or taping 2 narrow ones together - not sure how it would roll or fold though...

• + New Posts