DIY Whipped End
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx.
    Insulation
    DIY UQ by Mule
    Suspension
    Web'g@Buckles

Trip to Browning Hill

Mule rang me up the other afternoon and after a quick conversation we decided to go on a short outing to the Hoosier National Forest. We threw some eats and gear into our packs and soon departed. We arrived at the Nebo Ridge North Trail head at 9pm and set off shortly after dark. It was a long hard climb up the trail on Wilkerson Hill, but we had soon left the incline behind us to enjoy the easier travel of the ridge tops.

After a while we reached the inter connector trail to the Old Comb's Road which is a County road that has been abandoned since the 60's. The inter connector brought us out on Combs Road at a spot we call the bench mark as there is a geological survey marker there citing the elevation as 815 feet above sea level. This marker is cited on all local maps.

We wanted to hang at the bench mark but with thunder storms closing in it would not be a wise choice, so we set off South down Comb's Road and camped for the night in a sheltered draw we had used years ago when we could still 4 wheel up the remains of Comb's Road. The site was almost unrecognizable after all these years but still a great place to weather a storm. We quickly set up our hammocks and flys. No sooner than we finished than the storm broke. But we were high and dry in the comfort of our hammocks.

It was 1 am and we soon fell asleep in the velvety blackness of a stormy night. I layed awake several times that night luxuriating in the fact that I was warm and dry. While inches above my head the storm was pounding the rain fly. Occasionally my mood was altered by the bright flash and rumble of Autumn lightning and a spray of wind borne mist.

We slept until 10am. Relaxed over a slow breakfast while drinking good coffee and talking of old trips, friends and days gone by. After leisurely breaking camp we set off back up Comb's Road and turned west at the bench mark down the trail on Browning Hill to the Stone Circle at its western end that overlooks the Ghost Town of Elkinsville. It was a bright and beautiful windy day on the Hill. The sky was so blue it appeared unreal. The wind swayed the tree tops about like wheat in the field. The wind darted about the upper limbs and leaves playing a grand song like a master on the violin. We set up camp beside the stone circle and set about filtering pond water and gathering firewood. It was then I spied an old military ammo box tucked back under the overhang of one of the larger slabs of rock downhill from the stone circle. It did not appear to be a booby trap so Mule and I opened it. It turned out to be a geo-cache and when opened it set off an old music box movement fastened inside that played one of those trite pluncky unrecognizable tunes. Inside was a disposable camera and a log book with a few other small items. We laughed as how 20 years ago we would have taken pictures of our butts and signed guess who? as a surprise for the owner! Instead we left it reset and unmolested for the next geo-cacher. It was late evening and still too windy for a fire. So after a good evening meal we hit the sack at nightfall. Mule read for a spell and I layed back wondering what mischief the spirits might wreak tonight at the hill, as this is reputed to be an ancient burial ground and a place of lost souls and spirits that walk the night looking for resolution. The night was breezy and clear. The many stars shone down through the tree tops in the half light of the moon. The coyote song was magical. I awoke several times to its eerie but beautiful haunting strains. It's beauty far surpassing that of the music box concealed within the geo-cache. As we struck camp next morning Mule and I regretted as the only shrieks, moans and wailing we heard on this haunted night was each others snoring. Not many hours later we were sitting down at Bob Evans savoring a late breakfast feast and anticipating the best part of any trip. Arriving home to your Loved Ones.

Dead Reckon
    Never confuse the facts with the truth! It ain't easy bein' geezy

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Nice trip report. But without pictures I am wondering if it really happened. AT any rate thanks for sharing with us.
    Terry

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    Awesome report. I missed the Browning Hill night at the Hoosier Hang. And you had some awesome company to hang with, always like hanging with mule. He is one fine fellow.
    Chris

Hammock
    DIY Whipped End
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx.
    Insulation
    DIY UQ by Mule
    Suspension
    Web'g@Buckles

Oops!

Sorry, but it was such a spur of the moment thing that we both overlooked our cameras. And that Mule is a fine a fellow that ever tramped up the hollow! Al

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    While I wish ya had some pictures ... I'll be danged if you didn't do such a nice job with the words ... I enjoyed it just as much. Glad you guys had a great time ... especially on one of those spur of the moment trips!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    DIY Whipped End
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx.
    Insulation
    DIY UQ by Mule
    Suspension
    Web'g@Buckles
    Ridgidpsycho, I was at the Hoosier Nat. a couple weeks prior to the H/H with Mule, Trout,Clint and Gabe to pick a sight in Brown Hollow. I was pumped to go to the H/H and meet all you folks that I only know from the forum. I had such a hard time on that outing that I wound up at the cardiologist's and he grounded me for awhile. needless to say I missed the hang and all you great folks. This was my first trip since then and I still have a ways to go. I do hope Trout organizes another Hoosier Hang next spring so we can all do it again. Glad you enjoyed my report. Al

Hammock
    DIY Whipped End
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx.
    Insulation
    DIY UQ by Mule
    Suspension
    Web'g@Buckles

browning Hill

Hawk-Eye, thank you for your kind words. Sometimes images framed in the mind brought about by sharing common experiences in the written word can be as vivid as the best photograph. Browning Hill is one of those places where it's physical beauty is exceeded by it's spiritual presence and the transcendental nature of the events people claim to experience while lingering there. In my own crude way,that is what I am trying to relate. Al

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Reckon View Post
    Hawk-Eye, thank you for your kind words. Sometimes images framed in the mind brought about by sharing common experiences in the written word can be as vivid as the best photograph. Browning Hill is one of those places where it's physical beauty is exceeded by it's spiritual presence and the transcendental nature of the events people claim to experience while lingering there. In my own crude way,that is what I am trying to relate. Al
    Well ... ya dun' gud!

Of course pictures and bright shiny objects still delight me

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Dead Reckon ..... I want you to write my trip reports!
    That was a stirring and very descriptive story ....... I felt that wind.
    I would have dome a buttocks shot as well in those days!

Please .... write a book.

Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY Whipped End
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx.
    Insulation
    DIY UQ by Mule
    Suspension
    Web'g@Buckles

Browning Hill

Shug. I hope some day to get the opportunity to submit a report on a trip shared with you and a lot of other fine folks here on H/F. The best part of any outing is enjoying friends old and new. Al

• + New Posts