WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Another way to try (at least look at) alot of hammocks is to attend one of the hangouts.
    Ed Spears Has several through the year. A notable one is on Springer Mt in GA Newyears eve.
    There is one at Red River Gorge in KY in a few weeks.
    AND a Hang out possibly at Mt Rogers in VA at a date to be determined.
    At Traildays in Damascus we have our own "gated community" of hangers, Last year I counted at least 28 different hammock set ups. Um, OK, I counted 28 Hangers, all 28 were different set ups, even the commercial "complete set ups in a box" were modified in some way. PLUS, there were 6 hammock vendors.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Buy one of everything, figure out what you like best, then wait for the next new guy to login and ask about his first hammock and sell him your extras.

Just joking, if you're like me you'll never sell them; just start a collection. The HHs are great, but the bottom entry is a challenge for lots of folks. It was my first hammock above $20. But, why get something with a bug net this time of year? Go grab a Trek Light or an ENO for the price of a tank of gas and see if the hangin thing is for you. There will always be sales.

Images
    One nice thing about Clark and Claytor hammocks - they both allow you to return the hammock if you are not satisfied. the Clark return policy is the more definitive - 90 days. the Claytor is a little bit fuzzy - it just states return it if you don't like it.

That gives you a try-before-you-commit option. As it turns out, my son like the Clark and I like the Claytor, so I'll return one of the Clarks.

But had I had the chance to try several commercial hammocks at a hangout, I probably would have concluded that no one commecial hammock offered all that i wanted and I would have either started making my own from scratch, or assembling one from commercial products.

Here is what I would want now:

A hammock at least as large as the Claytor with top entry

A detachable bug net (Clark and Claytor bug nets can be unzipped but not detached) .

A detachable weather sheild/over cover (I made one for the Claytor, Clark has one but it can't be detached).

I want detachable so I can leave the unneeded parts at home. There might be a few cross-over seasons when I have to pack all parts, but most of the year one or both would not be needed.

Outside storage pockets like the Clark (most people who make their own hammocks on this forum advise against sewing anything into the bottom of the hammock, but the Clark pockets are sewn in the bottom so I'm wondering if that is possible - and alternative is the Just Jeff storage hammock: http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGe...arHammock.html )

A 10 x 12 tarp.
    Last edited by nogods; 11-05-2007 at 09:25.

Steps 1 and 2

Hennesy Hammocks are the "entry drug to hammock addiction", was right on the money. The first step is to decide you want to try .... second step is to purchase something..... third step fill your closet with hammocks and hammock related gear.
    OK, I just ordered a HH Expedition Asym, no bug netting, for $49.00 (so they *do* still have some!). Has to be shipped from Canada, could take a while. So that's Step 1 and Step 2. Trying to avoid Step 3.

Thanks, y'all!

Jonathan

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootstrap View Post
    OK, I just ordered a HH Expedition Asym, no bug netting, for $49.00 (so they *do* still have some!). Has to be shipped from Canada, could take a while. So that's Step 1 and Step 2. Trying to avoid Step 3.

Thanks, y'all!

Jonathan
    good call.

As for avoiding 3, well, it's futile. The only constraints known to work are a) financial, and b) a partner whose willingness to encourage behavior modification goes above and beyond normal mechanisms.

There's a number of folks here who have put zip-in bugnets on HH bags, or clones. There will be lots of help if you got that route.

Grizz

Quote Originally Posted by tight-wad View Post
    No, you don't need a bug net this time of year, but you do need some warmth! Lots of ways to skin that rabbit, double layer with pads, SPEs, underquilts, more pads, double layer with air bags, etc. etc. This forum is rife with ideas and pros and cons. Just beware that a simple sleeping bag, no matter what the temperature rating, won't cut it.
    The guy at Hennessy suggested I get one of those things you stick on the windshield of a truck to keep the sun from heating the inside in the summer. Think that would work well?

Be sure you pick a method and try it before you head for the woods!
    Oh don't worry, I always do that with an equipment I take to the woods. I've been playing with tarps for the last few weeks ;->

Jonathan

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    The guy at Hennessy suggested I get one of those things you stick on the windshield of a truck to keep the sun from heating the inside in the summer. Think that would work well?

Oh don't worry, I always do that with an equipment I take to the woods. I've been playing with tarps for the last few weeks ;->

Jonathan
    The car windshield reflector would work but not near as well as a pad.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    The car windshield reflector would work but not near as well as a pad.
    A pad ... like a Ridgerest?

Jonathan

Images
    "Hennesy Hammocks are the "entry drug to hammock addiction", was right on the money. The first step is to decide you want to try .... second step is to purchase something..... third step fill your closet with hammocks and hammock related gear"

Funniest and truest thing I have ever read.I guess I could consider myself a TYPICAL hammock addict. I learned about hammock camping, bought an HH Explorer then proceeded to make hammocks out of everything that was not nailed down.
    Hammocking addiction leads to other addictions..Like stove making, pack making, etc..
    I would like to think that there is a 12 step program somewhere for us, but then again there's NOTHING wrong with us.

Welcome, Bootstrap, to the group. Make a cheap hammock (like Risks $9 hammock) (http://www.imrisk.com/testhammock/testhammock.htm)

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    A pad ... like a Ridgerest?

Jonathan
    The RidgeRest Thermarest is a nice closed cell pad at 5/8" thick. They have a deluxe model which is 25" wide compared to the standard 20" wide one.
    The Wal-Mart 3/8" thick 20" wide blue closed cell pad is very popular here either used with a SPE or used to supplement an underquilt. The wrapping on the one I just bought said it was 1/2" thick which is not true. They also carry an egg crate shaped 1/2" thick 24" wide pad that would work.
    Do a search on pads here as well as checking these sites out. www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingWarm.html
    http://www.hammockcamping.com/Free%2...rSleepPads.htm
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 11-05-2007 at 19:57.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast