Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Where to start ....

I'm considering making a hammock, or buying one cheap (I have a few deals available to me on a Hennessy, with or without bug netting).

I'm trying to avoid trying 7 different options that will all clutter up my closet until I find the right one, but I don't have any real experience with hammock camping. Now maybe that means I just have to try out different things, starting with something simple, cheap, and homemade.

Or maybe that means I should take a deal I could get on a Hennessy without a bug net for really cheap. Or maybe I should borrow a hammock and then decide whether to spring for the Hennessy. Or maybe I should just go ahead and get something with a bug net ....

But I don't know nothing about hammocks. Most use would be for 3-4 day backpacking trips.

Where should I start?

Jonathan

Hammock
    Switchback, DD frontline, or speer
    Tarp
    tttghex DD 3 x 3
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, DD, bags
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling, web
    Images
    As a fellow newbee, here are my thoughts, for what it is worth. I wanted to make my own hammock, as I am a cheap guy, but when I realized that I could pick up a HH for less than half of list, I picked up a Safari, without noseeum screen. This helped solve a number of issues, like where to get some reasonable material, proper rope, what thickness of both? It also helps answer some of the absolutely newbee questions like How is this supposed to hang? How should it feel? As I have no other hammock users near me, as far as I know, a pre made, popularly used hammock, in my estimation, would eliminate the question of did I make it right. If you have anybody who currently hangs, that you can hang with, it would be invaluable, as this crowd seems to be genuinely willing to get other people hooked on hanging.

Hope this helps

John
    Last edited by OldnSlow; 11-04-2007 at 19:33.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootstrap View Post
    I'm considering making a hammock, or buying one cheap (I have a few deals available to me on a Hennessy, with or without bug netting).

I'm trying to avoid trying 7 different options that will all clutter up my closet until I find the right one, but I don't have any real experience with hammock camping. Now maybe that means I just have to try out different things, starting with something simple, cheap, and homemade.

Or maybe that means I should take a deal I could get on a Hennessy without a bug net for really cheap. Or maybe I should borrow a hammock and then decide whether to spring for the Hennessy. Or maybe I should just go ahead and get something with a bug net ....

But I don't know nothing about hammocks. Most use would be for 3-4 day backpacking trips.

Where should I start?

Jonathan
    My $0.02 worth.

If you buy a commercial hammock you don't have to mess about with hemming, whipping, and so on. One of the things people tend to like about the HH is lying on the diagonal. When people get irritated with the HH it tends to be due to the floor entry, and not being top loading.

A bug bivy you can make for not very much $$, or buy one for the ENO (about the cost of a low-end hammock).

So my advice is to go for the really cheap bugnet-free HH, see how you like it, and if you do you can then deal with the bugnet.

Grizz

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    welcome to HF Jonathan. i'm near the Winston-Salem area & there are a few others near by.
    mater a fact, i believe there's at least one or two HF members in your general area. there's a map on the home page that shows HF member's locations.

i would just echo what the others said. i prefer a top loader myself.
    some of the local outfitters may carry the eagles nest outfitter (ENO) hammocks. that was my 1st & it's still a great hammock for a good price. nice feeling material too. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIYZipper top entry
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon
    Images
    Hello Jonathan

Most on here have pondered the best way to get started in hammocking and all the previous advice pretty much covers it. From my experience something I read, I believe in this forum was..... Hennesy Hammocks are the "entry drug to hammock addiction", was right on the money. The first step is to decide you want to try .... second step is to purchase something..... third step fill your closet with hammocks and hammock related gear.
    What I lack in knowledge I MORE than make up for with opinions.
    Green Therapy

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    welcome to HF Jonathan. i'm near the Winston-Salem area & there are a few others near by.
    mater a fact, i believe there's at least one or two HF members in your general area. there's a map on the home page that shows HF member's locations.

i would just echo what the others said. i prefer a top loader myself.
    some of the local outfitters may carry the eagles nest outfitter (ENO) hammocks. that was my 1st & it's still a great hammock for a good price. nice feeling material too. ...tim
    The Eno would be a nice first choice. Also consider a Treklight hammock.www.treklightonline.com I have a Treklight double that is very roomy and doesn't weigh much more than the single. Really let's you stretch out on the diagonal. It is virtually identical to the Eno as far as quality and appearance. Nice time of the year to get a hammock without a bug net due to those skeeters, etc. not being a problem in colder weather. You might consider upgrading your suspension system with cinch buckles, webbing, and carabiners. Due a search here for much info. on this. This tarp is pretty popular around here. Nice coverage at a nice price. www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=97247
    That being said, I have pre-ordered one of the new JRB Bear Mountain Bridge hammocks. www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/BMBH.htm
    Here's a thread that talks about it. http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...=bear+mountain
    I also pre-ordered one of their new cat tarps http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_fi...010%20Tarp.htm
    Whatever you do, do check this great site www.tothewoods.net
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    So my advice is to go for the really cheap bugnet-free HH, see how you like it, and if you do you can then deal with the bugnet.

Grizz
    As of Friday, I don't think any more are available. Unless, of course, they decide to make some more. I may think about selling mine though, since I have the JRB on the way, I am about to have too many hammocks!

Hammock
    HH Expd Asm or DIY or WBBB or .....
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!....
    Images
    Jonathan,
    I don't have a ton of experience with all the avail. hammocks but I grabbed one of these in camo & think it would be a great first hammock.

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=84256747

Then you can pick up a SG tarp & be in business. (This was the best price I could find on this hammock, if you are a camo fan they are about $4 more)Also the real weight is 12oz but the steel hooks are about 1oz each.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    As of Friday, I don't think any more are available. Unless, of course, they decide to make some more. I may think about selling mine though, since I have the JRB on the way, I am about to have too many hammocks!
    My mom talked to Tom last week, and he said she ordered the last one. He did say he was surprised about the response to them, and asked her why she wanted one. When she told him the pros of netless, he kind of hinted that he will start making them full time.

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    No, you don't need a bug net this time of year, but you do need some warmth! Lots of ways to skin that rabbit, double layer with pads, SPEs, underquilts, more pads, double layer with air bags, etc. etc. This forum is rife with ideas and pros and cons. Just beware that a simple sleeping bag, no matter what the temperature rating, won't cut it.

Be sure you pick a method and try it before you head for the woods!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast