Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Sorry to hear about your fall poppa bear. Amsteel is certainly different from rope. Backups are important. Not to be discouraging, however; I bruised my tailbone severely jumping off a cliff into the Colorado River on my 50th birthday. I would do it again if I had the chance. Took me nearly 2 years before the pain was totally gone. Nurse it, and take it seriously. Pain is our bodies telling us to pay attention. Best to you and "hang" in there.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Thanks for the all the well wishes everyone. I truly appreciate them. I am humbled, bruised and sore but I am able to function. I went to work and had no great problems. Other than being extremely cautious of the rear area if you know what I mean. It is going to take a bit to get over but I will get through it. I do not think that my tail bone is broken as I am able to sit and walk pretty much normally. I must say that this accident has really got me reconsidering my hammock suspension system. Like I said in my post I intended to proof test all of my suspension equipment and options. When Naccra biners hit the forums I jumped on that band wagon and I like them a bunch. I have used them for tarps and other non load bearing chores. A few weeks I made up a set from 7/64 Amsteel with the idea of trying them out on a hammock suspension to try and save a few grams. That idea is now permanently scrapped. I will use nothing but Dutch Biners or something like the Camp Nano 23's. I am not taking any chances on any more knots slipping on me.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    The moral of the story here is that Amsteel should be spliced, not knotted. Knots derate the strength of the rope and as you saw unless properly dressed with sufficient tails they will undo at the most inopportune times.
    Amen to that!

Quote Originally Posted by beep View Post
    Sobering story...with a good moral. I hope you're feeling better soon! In this case, I think we can forego the "pics or it didn't happen" part!
    Thanks! I assure you it's not a pretty picture. It would scare even the most stout hearted amoung us.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyBoy2k View Post
    I'm trying to picture this. Did you essentially make a continuous loop with a double fisherman's knot? Or did you join the lines together with a single double overhand knot, sort of like a square knot with an extra turn? Brian is right that a splice would be better, but otherwise, the double fisherman's knot would be the way to go and will not let go.
    When I made the suspension up I did not even think about double fishermans knots. They probably would have worked better and not let go on me. I joined the two ends of the line and tied the both of them together with a single double overhand knot. Then threaded that resulting loop through my hammock end and larks headed it.

Quote Originally Posted by dand76 View Post
    The hammock stands always make me a little nervous with that metal bar directly below the tailbone/ backbone. I've debated looking for some sort of foam pipe insulation or something that could be used for padding.
    I think foam padding would help cushion the blow so to speak. But I think it would have to be a pretty dense foam inorder to be effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    I've said it before, NO KNOTS IN AMSTEEL.In addition to being slippery, so knots unwind, amsteel is weak in compression so knots weaken it much more than they do nylon rope.Be safe out there people.
    NO MORE KNOTS FOR ME IN AMSTEEL. I've learned my lesson the hard way
    Terry

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    A hard fall like that will make you "gun shy"... I know
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Remembered something about knots and amsteel.

Somebody here tested the nacrabiners with at least the lanyard knot and the overhand knot. Their results for the overhand were the same as yours - it slips out. The lanyard knot didn't, the amsteel broke first at 75% to 90% of the rope breaking strength.

Also, I have found the Zeppelin Bend works well in amsteel. It has never slipped, but I have never tested it to the rope's breaking strength. It is also easy to tie and easy to adjust and easy to untie. It has become my favorite knot for joining amsteel.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post

Somebody here tested the nacrabiners with at least the lanyard knot and the overhand knot. Their results for the overhand were the same as yours - it slips out. The lanyard knot didn't, the amsteel broke first at 75% to 90% of the rope breaking strength.

Also, I have found the Zeppelin Bend works well in amsteel. It has never slipped, but I have never tested it to the rope's breaking strength. It is also easy to tie and easy to adjust and easy to untie. It has become my favorite knot for joining amsteel.
    <add to favorites>...Thankee
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis &amp; Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Poppabear, real sorry to hear about your crash. Bruised tailbones are no fun and I feel for you there buddy. Glad it wasn't too serious and it's always a good thing when you can get back in the hammock and sleep.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing &amp; Buckles
    First off, glad your ok! I've changed out the suspension on a few hammocks, and I also use the Zeppelin Bend. Its never slipped and I'm around 200 lbs. A great knot for connecting Amsteel.
    It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit

Images
    Poppabear, Sorry to hear about your tailbone. Glad that it seems to be getting a little better. Makes me rethink how high I hang my hammock. Thanks for sharing.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap

Thanks for the link Tired Feet. I intend to tie up a test sample using the Zeppelin bend. You can bet I will test it 7 ways from sunday before trusting it though.
    Terry

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    JRB Universal Tarp
    Insulation
    Thermarest Regulus
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I love the Zepplin bend, but wasn't sure it would hold in amsteel. It's so easy to tie and easy to untie, regardless of the load you had on it. Now I know, so sweet!

~Dan

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast