Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    HG 4 season cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ/Burrow TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Hey PoppaBear glad it wasn't worse...you had me laughing out loud with the comments on the wife's remarks about getting hurt and the "butt ugly"
    Thanks for sharing very helpful info at your own expense
    leigh
    Leigh
    aka LookinUp

He who would travel happily must travel light.
    Antoine de St. Exupery

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Any lingering doubts in naccrabiners have been put to rest. As I posted earlier I made up a set using Opie's tutorial. Then tested them on a DIY hammock with 200 lbs of dead weight for 24 hours. I slept in the hammock last night so they now have been tested to 240ish lbs. My mind is at ease and my faith has been restored in Amsteel. The blood knots I used on the naccrabiners held rock solid with no slippage whats-so-ever.
    Terry

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Poppa B - Blood knots on a nacrabiner? Why not use the tried and TESTED diamond (lanyard) knot?
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Knotty, I used this thread by Opie http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=16987 as the model for the naccrabiners / soft shackles that I have made and are using now. In my strictly unscientific test the blood knots did not slip / degrade at all. By looking at Opie's thread he apparently did not have any slippage either. When naccrabiners first hit the forums I made them by just creating the loop and then tying the diamond knot at the end of the legs. I found the diamond knots difficult and time consuming to tie. When the full length bury of the legs came to light I switched to them as I liked them better than the individual legs. The thicker diameter created by the full length bury appealed to me. With the full length burys I did not see any way to continue to use the diamond knot. So I switched to a double overhand knot. I can't recall if I ever used any of these naccrabiners to hang with on any of my hammocks. I believe that I mainly used them for tarp to ridge line connections and other non load bearing applications. It wasn't till my hammock loop knot failure. Which were tied with the same double overhand knots. That I gave my naccrabiners a second thought. So when Gargoyle brought Opie's soft shackles up in this thread. I reviewed all of his threads on the subject and decided to go with the blood knot. For me it is really easy to tie.
    Terry

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    That's what I call confidence - real life testing with real life loads

Quote Originally Posted by Poppabear View Post
    Knotty, I used this thread by Opie http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=16987 as the model for the naccrabiners / soft shackles that I have made and are using now. In my strictly unscientific test the blood knots did not slip / degrade at all. By looking at Opie's thread he apparently did not have any slippage either. When naccrabiners first hit the forums I made them by just creating the loop and then tying the diamond knot at the end of the legs. I found the diamond knots difficult and time consuming to tie. When the full length bury of the legs came to light I switched to them as I liked them better than the individual legs. The thicker diameter created by the full length bury appealed to me. With the full length burys I did not see any way to continue to use the diamond knot. So I switched to a double overhand knot. I can't recall if I ever used any of these naccrabiners to hang with on any of my hammocks. I believe that I mainly used them for tarp to ridge line connections and other non load bearing applications. It wasn't till my hammock loop knot failure. Which were tied with the same double overhand knots. That I gave my naccrabiners a second thought. So when Gargoyle brought Opie's soft shackles up in this thread. I reviewed all of his threads on the subject and decided to go with the blood knot. For me it is really easy to tie.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Hmm. I must have missed that conversation. Will take a look at it. Thanks.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    1.1 SL BB or 1.1 SL Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat dlx & std
    Insulation
    down UQs
    Suspension
    Whoopie+DB+hugger
    Images

thanks!

Wow! A most timely post for me. I am on the verge of getting a Grand Trunk Ultralight for AZ's winter hanging season and I definitely want to change out the suspension, too. Glad I found this thread. Now I have lots to research

Images
    So, when I made my whoopies, I just attached them to my bridge hammock wit a larks head through the outer ring. Backed up with a couple of 1/2 hitches.

I have only slept in it overnight once or twice, though I have taken numerous naps. As far as I can tell, the knots have not moved even a millimeter.

So is this unsafe with Amsteel?

If I make some more whoopies, I will make one of those dead eyes. But if I am understanding correctly, I can not add a dead eye to my whoopies without undoing trhe adjustable part of the whoopie. Is that correct?

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    So, when I made my whoopies, I just attached them to my bridge hammock wit a larks head through the outer ring. Backed up with a couple of 1/2 hitches.

I have only slept in it overnight once or twice, though I have taken numerous naps. As far as I can tell, the knots have not moved even a millimeter.

So is this unsafe with Amsteel?

If I make some more whoopies, I will make one of those dead eyes. But if I am understanding correctly, I can not add a dead eye to my whoopies without undoing trhe adjustable part of the whoopie. Is that correct?
    I think there's a way...there was a thread...I miss my memory.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast