Golite poncho tarp
    Insulation
    Down UQ / Down bag
    Suspension
    Amsteel whoopies
    Images

A couple of UQ questions

Hello folks,

I've been thinking about picking up an UQ made by a chap over on another forum I frequent for my upcoming winter trip around Europe but as I've never had one before I wanted to run things by you guys

The ones hes selling at the moment are 3/4 length with 350g (just over 12oz) of 800 fill down. He confirmed personally hes taken it down to ~ -5C (23F), this sound about right?

I'm a cold sleeper and always put a hat on to go to sleep when I'm camping. As I understand it with the lengths of UQs (2/3s, 3/4s), the idea is because your main body mass is centred in the middle of the hammock (ie your head is closer to the centre than your legs) a 3/4 UQ would in effect cover my head chest and thights and leave my lower legs exposed, is that right?

I'll be using it in conjunction with my Alpkits SkyHigh 600 (rated to ~0C) as a quilt, which is a great bag and as I am the only hammocker (that the right word LOL) in the group I'll no doubt have to go to ground occasionally.

I'm going as far out as the Czech republic, maybe through Poland also, thats' probably as far east, but we'll be following the med's coast right back round to Spain. We've not decided the route yet but it'll be through January to May so as well as mild temperatures I'm sure I'll see some nights WELL below 0.

Will that UQ be sufficient, do you think? What would you recommend? Unfortunately funds are getting a bit tight but I have a couple of items (goretex bivvy bag and thermalite pad) I can sell to help with the purchase...

Help much appreciated

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    The 3/4 underquilt I got from Phil comes from the top of my shoulders down to the back of my knees. Take along a section of mat for your feet for when it gets really cold and you should be fine. Also having a stuff sack hanging from the gathered end of your hammock inside makes a really good pillow that doesn't slip down your back when you move.
    If you sort your foot end out and use something for a pillow I reckon you'll be fine.

Are you going up high into the mountains ?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    That is a great deal of down .... should keep you good and warm. Like Shewie said ... pad for the feet.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY + whoopie SLR
    Tarp
    Golite poncho tarp
    Insulation
    Down UQ / Down bag
    Suspension
    Amsteel whoopies
    Images
    Doesn't your head get cold? Or is that a silly question? So far I've had my matt under my head as well as the 'hood' of my sleeping bag, plus my hat - and it's only touching ~5C (41F) at night!

Could I use a 3/4 length UQ to cover my head/body in exchange for exposing my legs slightly more, or an UQ designed to cover from shoulders down and isn't flexible enough to allow you to set it up to cover your head?

I'm probably just worrying about nothing

I'll have a CCF matt with me for my feet / for going to ground so no worries there Shugster!

Shewie, how'd ya get a stuff sack attached to the inside of the hammock gathered end? And yep we'll probably head up to the mountains, at the very least to the Alps as my uncle has a chalet.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Highbinder View Post
    Doesn't your head get cold? Or is that a silly question? So far I've had my matt under my head as well as the 'hood' of my sleeping bag, plus my hat - and it's only touching ~5C (41F) at night!

Could I use a 3/4 length UQ to cover my head/body in exchange for exposing my legs slightly more, or an UQ designed to cover from shoulders down and isn't flexible enough to allow you to set it up to cover your head?

I'm probably just worrying about nothing

I'll have a CCF matt with me for my feet / for going to ground so no worries there Shugster!

Shewie, how'd ya get a stuff sack attached to the inside of the hammock gathered end? And yep we'll probably head up to the mountains, at the very least to the Alps as my uncle has a chalet.
    Usually a pillow or stuff sack with extra clothes (or something similar) is sufficient to make it unnecessary for your UQ or pad to have to insulate under the head. Your head may still need a hat or the hood of a sleeping bag, but the "pillow" is good for keeping away the cold from contact with the hammock body.

A partial UQ is designed to insulate from the shoulder "down" toward the knees.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    DIY + whoopie SLR
    Tarp
    Golite poncho tarp
    Insulation
    Down UQ / Down bag
    Suspension
    Amsteel whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by beep View Post
    Usually a pillow or stuff sack with extra clothes (or something similar) is sufficient to make it unnecessary for your UQ or pad to have to insulate under the head. Your head may still need a hat or the hood of a sleeping bag, but the "pillow" is good for keeping away the cold from contact with the hammock body.

A partial UQ is designed to insulate from the shoulder "down" toward the knees.
    I have a synthetic travel pillow which I use when camping - hasn't let me down yet. Waiting for a reply from the chap who makes them and then only time will tell - I have another couple of months of experimenting with gear before my trip so plenty of time to iron out the kinks I guess!

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    When conditions cool down I pack a hooded jacket (~12oz MontBell thermawrap). Doubles up as my camp insulating layer and hooded inner sleeping layer. Gives at least 5*C more warmth to the tq in addition to keeping the head warm.
    Noel V.

Hammock
    DIY + whoopie SLR
    Tarp
    Golite poncho tarp
    Insulation
    Down UQ / Down bag
    Suspension
    Amsteel whoopies
    Images
    Ookay one more question, might as well stick it in here: Can you put your clothes between your UQ and hammock to help keep them warm till the morning? Ain't nothing I hate worse than putting on cold trousers and jumper when I'm out camping!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Highbinder View Post
    Ookay one more question, might as well stick it in here: Can you put your clothes between your UQ and hammock to help keep them warm till the morning? Ain't nothing I hate worse than putting on cold trousers and jumper when I'm out camping!
    Not a good idea ... it will cause your UQ to sag and have gaps .... that equals drafts and cold.
    Just put the clothes in the hammock with you.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY + whoopie SLR
    Tarp
    Golite poncho tarp
    Insulation
    Down UQ / Down bag
    Suspension
    Amsteel whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Not a good idea ... it will cause your UQ to sag and have gaps .... that equals drafts and cold.
    Just put the clothes in the hammock with you.
    Shug
    Ah ****. I had visions of toasty warming trousers slipping on over my legs

• + New Posts