Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images

Sylnylon? what should I make with it

I was near a walmat today so I stopped in and check the 1.00 bin. There was some material that felt like nylon but was not ripstop. It ssems slightly heavier than 1.9 ripstop (going by how my 1.9 ripstop tent feels. I asked the "associate" if she knew what it was. She said no, but she thought it might be waterproof. She cut a piece off and I tested it at a water fountain. Sure enough, water just beads on it. In fact, you can get water droplets to act like mecury beads on it. If I made a bag out of it it would not leak. It is not plastic. One end was frayed like cutoff jeans get after several washings.

There was only 4 1/2 yards so I bought it for $4.50. I think it would be too heavy to make a tarp even if there was enough of it.

I'm thinking of making snake skins out of it - but I'd like some suggestions.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    How about a gear hammock?
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Stuff Sacks
    BB Sacks
    EndCaps for your hammock
    PackCover

Go crazy!

Images
    Thanks for the suggestions guys - when I cut the material for the wethershield for the claytor I ended up with a piece that is 60 by 36 which I'm going to use to make the gear hammock linked by angrysparrow.

Hammock
    DIYZipper top entry
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    I was near a walmat today so I stopped in and check the 1.00 bin. There was some material that felt like nylon but was not ripstop. It ssems slightly heavier than 1.9 ripstop (going by how my 1.9 ripstop tent feels. I asked the "associate" if she knew what it was. She said no, but she thought it might be waterproof. She cut a piece off and I tested it at a water fountain. Sure enough, water just beads on it. In fact, you can get water droplets to act like mecury beads on it. If I made a bag out of it it would not leak. It is not plastic. One end was frayed like cutoff jeans get after several washings.

There was only 4 1/2 yards so I bought it for $4.50. I think it would be too heavy to make a tarp even if there was enough of it.

I'm thinking of making snake skins out of it - but I'd like some suggestions.
    Is the fabric breathable. Way to test it to press it against lips and blow, if air passes through it is breathable. I found some that was in a Wal Mart bargin bin here that seems to have the same properties as you are describing as far as water beading off of it. Another test you might want to try is to make a pouch shape with the fabric and put a cup of water in it. Then close the top and squeeze gently to see if water oozes through the fabric. The real test for any " water resistant" fabric is to put about a quart of water in a pouch of it suspended over a bowl and time how long it takes for water to ooze through it. My son in law and I have been testing various fabrics in that way and will post the results if anyone is interested. The winner here so far ( inclubing some high tec brand name gear store bought ) is two fabrics that came from Wal mart bargin bins. They were still dry on the bottom after 2 hours of holding a quart of water. The best the brand name fabrics did was 20 mins and water was dripping through. The DIY raincoat/pack cover posted in my pics here is made of the Wal Mart fabric. I am heading out for an overnite and once again the forcast is for rain so it will get a good test over the next couple of days. Will post the results here when I get back.
    What I lack in knowledge I MORE than make up for with opinions.
    Green Therapy

Images
    It is the same color as the material used by Green Therapy for his rain coat. I held it close to a mirror an breathed throug it and the mirror became fogged so I think it is breathable. Just wish it were ripstop.

Images
    Ripstop as a "feature" is overrated IMO... seriously anytime I've had an failure of fabric in gear its been irrelevant whether it was ripstop or not.

I suspect that for most of the applications you'd put it to, this is true here also.

Images
    There is fashion ripstop which is just about worthless. But ripstop made specifically for outdoor applications is pretty durable. The added crossing threads are designed to stop rips.

Images
    Trust me I KNOW this, but typically the failures I've seen are not due to a rip that started and then gets stopped by the somewhat heavier threads in ripstop. But rather due to loading the fabric way beyond its working strength or wearing through it...

There are some "high tech" ripstops with kevlar or spectra out there, but they're all WAY heavier than we want in hammocks, or ultralight tarps... At least any I've seen. Maybe there's some that are light.

Closest choices are high strength spinnaker cloths or parachute canopy fabrics. Neither are going to be available for $1 a yard or even $5 a yard...
    As an example look at the price of Cuben material...

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Yeah but, the ripstop at least gives you the chance to be able to repair prior to total failure. I wouldn't even carry duct tape if I didn't use ripstop.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast