Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    JRB Universal Tarp
    Insulation
    Thermarest Regulus
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing

Snug Fitting UQs

Howdy! New to hammocks and UQs and reading voraciously all I can about them. Have a Warbonnet Blackbird on the way and am trying to find a good UQ for it. I know Brandon makes the Yeti, but I think I want a full length UQ.

I was reading this post regarding the SnugFit and Mt. Washington and how they are designed to fit up snugly against the hammock and are claimed to be pretty idiot proof in that regard since you can't compress the insulation: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=3082. My question is, what is it about the design of these UQs that makes them so (differential cut, radial baffling, something else?) and what other UQs also have this feature?

Why are more UQs not designed to be this way? Is there something about the design of a non-compressable UQ that is a drawback?

~Dan

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Yes, a differential cut makes a tremendous difference in fitting a quilt to an end gathered hammock. It helps maintain the full loft of the quilt it's snugged tight to the hammock fabric.

The thread you linked is from 2008. Since then, more UQ's with differential cut have become available.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    JRB Universal Tarp
    Insulation
    Thermarest Regulus
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Thanks, angrysparrow. I wasn't sure if it was the differential cut that did the trick or something else. Everything I was reading regarding UQs always said you had to be careful not to compress it, but the differential cut does away with that, doesn't it? Seems like you can get it as snug as you want on your back and know you're good to go.

~Dan

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Yes, that's the idea.

Differential cut means that the inner shell material of the quilt is smaller than the outer shell, such that you can pull the inner shell fabric taut and it doesn't constrict the loft of the insulation between the inner and outer shell.

Some of the quilts also have specially shaped inner baffles (the SnugFit in particular), but the differential cut is the biggest factor in easy fit.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Karo + HG TQ
    Suspension
    AHE Web/Buckles
    Images

Smile Mt. Washington.

Hi Danny Boy,

Just wanted to add my $.02 about the Mt. Washington. I own a MW3 for my warbonnet blackbird and find it to be warm and comfy no matter how tight to my back I put it, the elastic shock cord that the jacks supply with the quilt keeps it from getting so tight that its supporting you so its pretty fool proof. The MW3 is good spring to fall, and then they reccomend the MW4 if you do any early spring/late fall/winter stuff (In Canada Anyways).

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    JRB Universal Tarp
    Insulation
    Thermarest Regulus
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Awsome, thanks guys! That really opens up the number of UQs to look at. Just look for anything with differential cut and I should be fine, right?

Cheers,
    Dan

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7
    Tarp
    OES Spn Dlx w/drs
    Insulation
    Crowsnest 3 Ssn
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    I have the WBBB 1.7 Dbl. I use the Crowsnest 3 season underquilt. It has been with my on many treks and kept me plenty warm. The lowest so far has been 50 degrees. I will be going on a trek next week where I expect the temps to drop down to 30. I have no fear of this.

John
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results - Albert Einstein

http://www.youtube.com/user/SavageOutdoors

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Yes, that's the idea.

Differential cut means that the inner shell material of the quilt is smaller than the outer shell, such that you can pull the inner shell fabric taut and it doesn't constrict the loft of the insulation between the inner and outer shell.

Some of the quilts also have specially shaped inner baffles (the SnugFit in particular), but the differential cut is the biggest factor in easy fit.
    While there are several differentially designed UQs including the JRB MT Washington series ...The JRB Mt Washington Series of UQ are the only UQs commercially available with radially shapped baffles... The Snugfit is no longer in production.

pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    JRB Universal Tarp
    Insulation
    Thermarest Regulus
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    And I find I still have much to learn! Thanks, Pan and Savage. I'm sure there has been discussions regarding baffle design, but what benefits would radial baffles offer over the more common longitudinal designs out there?

~Dan

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    While there are several differentially designed UQs including the JRB MT Washington series ...The JRB Mt Washington Series of UQ are the only UQs commercially available with radially shapped baffles... The Snugfit is no longer in production.

pan
    A little birdy has told me that, along with the the shells being differentially cut, the guy over at Hammock Gear also uses radially shaped baffles in all of his under quilts and top quilts as well.
    And I find I still have much to learn! Thanks, Pan and Savage. I'm sure there has been discussions regarding baffle design, but what benefits would radial baffles offer over the more common longitudinal designs out there?
    Radial baffle design just means that they are shaped along the length of the baffle...kind of like a rainbow. This means that as the chamber of down makes its way around the curve of a hammock, in both the x-axis and y-axis, there is minimal compression. Another way to say it is that the outside of the baffle is longer than the inside. Not sure if I cleared it up but there it is.

~stormcrow
    Last edited by stormcrow; 09-20-2010 at 09:28.
    Owner/Founder at Hammockgear.com - Hammock Camping Outfitters
    Home of the Burrow, the Incubator, and the Phoenix

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast