Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    I had a Cl. JH and diamond tarp. I sold it mainly because I thought I was getting a little obsessive with number of hammocks, including TWO Claytors ( other a No Net). Plus, someone was WTB for a JH, so I sold it. Sure have missed that tarp though.

But as to comfort: going by memory, it seemed to me like I slightly preferred the No Net, which is very similar except different material and of course no net. Still, there were a lot of things I liked about that Claytor JH.

But, I still rate my Claytor No Net at or very near the very top of gathered end hammocks for over all comfort. Along with the HH Safari, it probably has the least left calf pressure among the GE hammocks. Which is a problem I seem particularly prone to, more so than others. It also seems comfy with a wide variety of sag amount, lots of sag or very little. I have no ridgeline on it. And it is my go to hammock for use with the Speer PeaPod.

But, a No Net is not a JH. And my memory is not certain as to if the No Net is significantly MORE comfy than the JH.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BlackBird!!!!
    Tarp
    BIG FLY (3x4m.)
    Insulation
    SnugFit & JRB HR
    Images
    I have had my Claytor Jungle Hammock for a few years now.
    It was my first hammock. I settled on it for the price and the fact
    that it came with a tarp. One thing that I really enjoy about it is that
    you have the option to flip the hammock over and sleep on it upside down
    so that the bugnet is on the bottom. I like sleeping without a bugnet in the colder
    months, but It is always there if I need it. Just flip the hammock back over.

The Claytor Jungle Hammock is a Rock Solid design with options.

That being said, I have the Claytor JH, a WBBB and a WB Traveler. I cant truthfuly tell you which hammock I like better because I sleep in all of them. They all have pros and cons. I think it will come down to a very personal decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    Go to a hang, and try 'em both. There will always be 'birds there, and someone can probably bring a Claytor.

A side note: I have been sleeping in my WB Traveler a lot lately... hmm..

-Ricegravy

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    One more thing that really needs saying: the Warbonnet is built in the United States, by an American, and the money spent there will churn, at least for awhile, in the US, thereby preserving other American jobs. Yes, it costs more money, but the only patriotic acts that are free are of the sunshine variety.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    When I was looking for my first hammock, I was stuck between buying the Blackbird or a Hennesy since the both get a lot of recommendations.

I then saw the Claytor and it was love at first sight .... I normally don't buy camo gear, but somehow it just makes sence with the Claytor Jungle

If you're concerned about the weight, just leave something else behind before going on a trip.... do you really need food and water etc.

The whoopie sling + treehugger does save a bit of weight, but not that much - unless you're packing ultra light, then a few grams would be significant. I just threw one of the stock Claytor straps on my scale and it comes in at 112 grams, just over what the All-In-One suspension (whoopieslings.com) + Dutch Clip weigh.

IMHO the Claytor is really comfortable, and not that far from the comfort level in a Blackbird (I've tried the Blackbird, but haven't slept in one... so it might not count ).

It can't compete weight wise, but it's cheap, really durable, includes a tarp and you get free shipping!.

/Wild
    Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ricegravy View Post
    The Claytor Jungle Hammock is a Rock Solid design with options.

That being said, I have the Claytor JH, a WBBB and a WB Traveler. I cant truthfuly tell you which hammock I like better because I sleep in all of them. They all have pros and cons...................................

-Ricegravy
    Hmm,,,, where have I heard that before, sounds real familiar? Oh... Me!
    R&G, that's how I feel about several hammocks. Pros and cons, sometimes even when you have them it's kind of hard for me to choose. Out of 3 or 4 of my favs, none is a clear cut winner in all areas over the others. One might win in one or 2 areas, but then another will win in other areas.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWild View Post

IMHO the Claytor is really comfortable, and not that far from the comfort level in a Blackbird (I've tried the Blackbird, but haven't slept in one... so it might not count ).

It can't compete weight wise, but it's cheap, really durable, includes a tarp and you get free shipping!.

/Wild
    What does the CL.JH actually weigh minus the the tarp? If the web site weight are correct ( I'm not sure they are- I know my No Net weighs more than they claim), about 1 lb 13 oz? If that is right, that is actually a bit less than my WBBB 1.7 double weighs. Again, the JH might weigh more than claimed.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    What does the CL.JH actually weigh minus the the tarp? If the web site weight are correct ( I'm not sure they are- I know my No Net weighs more than they claim), about 1 lb 13 oz? If that is right, that is actually a bit less than my WBBB 1.7 double weighs. Again, the JH might weigh more than claimed.
    Heres a list of various Claytor weights (without the stuff sacks):

Claytor Jungle - No suspension
    830 grams

Claytor Jungle - Original suspenion
    1054 grams

Claytor Jungle - All-In-One suspension & Dutch Clips (the precious 15 grams each ones ) + a few leaves from my last trip )
    1055 grams

Claytor Diamond Tarp
    560 grams

The Claytor site lists the combined weight of the hammock and tarp as 1,5 kilo, so in my case it's a bit more than the listed weight.
    I'm of course no gram weenie, so I'll live happily with it.

/Wild

Hammock
    GT UL and Home Made
    Tarp
    Home Made sil
    Insulation
    UQ and TQ Homemade
    Suspension
    Home Made Woopies
    Its really not the weight of the suspension. Its the hassle of hanging it compared to other suspension setups(adjustablity). Also the wicking of water.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Bags4266 View Post
    Its really not the weight of the suspension. Its the hassle of hanging it compared to other suspension setups(adjustablity). Also the wicking of water.
    I agree.
    The stock suspension is terrible. It's so much easier adjusting with the whoopie slings!

/Wild

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12