Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rapt, you are right, you'd still need a climber's daisy chain to use as a tree hugger, I forgot to mention that, and of course a carabiner. I never said it was lighter, it just gives no slip instant adjustment in six inch increments. I'm going to try this on the head end of my hammock. I'm not sure I trust the buckles/webbing thing yet.

Images
    I only have 4 test hangs with the webbing/ring buckles, but so far no slipage (I tie a safety knot) and I weigh 240.

another suggestion

Put a biner somewhere toward the center of the rope on one end of the hammock with a bowline knot. Now you can quickly hook up one end of the hammock for support while you tie up the other end to the needed length. In other words, make a semi-permenant biner attachement on one end, and leave the other end free for you to tie and adjust as you need.

You can also use the biner on one end and loop around the tree or around a slap strap/ webbing loop and secure back onto the hammock rope by wrapping twice around the biner. The biner will hold this way and you can adjust the tension by sliding the biner back and forth on the rope.

Quote Originally Posted by jscalia View Post
    Put a biner somewhere toward the center of the rope on one end of the hammock with a bowline knot. Now you can quickly hook up one end of the hammock for support while you tie up the other end to the needed length. In other words, make a semi-permenant biner attachement on one end, and leave the other end free for you to tie and adjust as you need.

You can also use the biner on one end and loop around the tree or around a slap strap/ webbing loop and secure back onto the hammock rope by wrapping twice around the biner. The biner will hold this way and you can adjust the tension by sliding the biner back and forth on the rope.
    I was thinking along simalar lines for the foot end of the hammock. TeeDee's idea of clove hitching an SMC ring into the hammock line is a similar idea. I'm of the belief that a taut hang is better, and I want some way to tighten one end snug, the slap strap idea doesn't allow that.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB and Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat Custom Spin
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ/Nunatak TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Hanging System

Ok... way back I talked of doing this type of system, but perhaps couldn't really explain it. I purchased a very heavy duty sewing machine not long ago and just finished making these. The 1" polypropylene is from Speer... the same as on their hammocks. I put a loop on each end (slightly larger on the side that was going to be around the tree, then formed three other loops about 10" apart on the hammock end. All were bar and cross tacked using heavy polypro thread.

There seems to be a lot of excess length, but I was using two relatively thin and closely spaced trees to test this. Also, I'm not going to trim the webbing that is on the hammock until I'm absolutely sure that I staying with this... forever. The rings are just over a foot from each end of the hammock and very easy to reach without going outside the tarp.
    Last edited by Quoddy; 01-09-2008 at 13:57.

Hammock
    Homemade 1.9oz
    Tarp
    Homemade cuben
    Insulation
    Homemade synthetic
    Suspension
    Strap-biner-buckle
    Images
    What do you gain on this system as opposed to one that has rings on the hammock and a single length of webbing that goes around the tree and then into those rings? I don't understand why you would want the loops.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB and Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat Custom Spin
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ/Nunatak TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    What do you gain on this system as opposed to one that has rings on the hammock and a single length of webbing that goes around the tree and then into those rings? I don't understand why you would want the loops.
    In that regard you're absolutely right. I wanted to try the method without cutting the webbing on the Speer yet. This way, I can use the loops to set the length between the tree and the hammock and achieve the same thing. Eventually, if I like the setup, I'll cut the straps, sew the rings into a loop on the hammock end webbing, and then run a one looped strap from the tree.

If I didn't have the machine to easily do it and plenty of free time, I might have gone straight to the final result.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12