Tarp
    Factory original
    Insulation
    Roll Mat
    Suspension
    Factory Original
    Images

Tiny Tarp and high winds

Is it just me, or is the tarp just a little bit too small...

When I lay in it, I've generally been finding that the fly net peeps out under the bottom and I can see almost 360' around. Which is lovely in the morning and when it's dark, well, it's dark. My main problem is getting changed.

Similarly, when it's very windy, The tarp lifts, and in heavy rain (whilst I've not had that yet) I could get wet.

Any ideas? Am I just hanging it wrong?

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    3 Season Pheonix
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    ive had the same problem and i have gotten wet due to that

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    If you expect bad weather you need to make sure the tarp is down closer to the hammock. It can protect you in some very powerful storms, but you need to get it low and close to do so. I've used my Hennessy in a tropical storm without getting wet.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The stock HH tarp is pretty small, but plenty adequate to stay dry if you pitch it correctly and in a good site. Sometimes that's a bit of a challenge.

Doing anything besides sleeping under that tarp is definitely a challenge. It can help if you use snakeskins on your hammock so you can get the hammock out of the way while you work under it. Or just use some cord to tie it into a tube so you have more area under the tarp.

That's why a lot of people upgrade to a bigger tarp. Downside is more weight/bulk to carry.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe Asym
    Tarp
    Factory original
    Insulation
    Roll Mat
    Suspension
    Factory Original
    Images
    I assume therefore detatching it from the main suspension cord and putting it on some 550 lashed to a tree at the hight you think it should be when you get in it would be better, but then that's a catch 22 as you'll not be able to tension it correctly. Bah. I do have a much, much larger 3mx4.5m tarp, but that can be a little too big...

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    When I had that hammock and tarp, I changed out to bigger tarp just for reasons you mentioned. I camped with scouts and needed the privacy for changing. Now I go to hangs and also like the privacy for changing. Hangers don't stay strangers for long, but no need to scare 'em with too much information too soon!
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

My Hennessey experience is that

in a "tropical" type of downpour, where the wind is minimal, the stock tarp works fine. As previously noted, there is not much room for anything else under the tarp.

I gave up with having the tarp attached to the suspension lunes. I could never get the tarp to pitch acceptably (yes, I know that as a flat tarp it will never pitch taught like a cat) so I started using a separate ridgeline. Much happier now!

The separate line allows you to attach the tarp BELOW the suspension lines, which results in the hammock being closer to the tarp and getting more protection in a rainstorm.

But for wind-blown rain, prepare to get wet with the stock tarp. The Hex is giant, and there are many other alternatives available.

Jim

Images
    What are you using to keep your back warm? If you don't have anything yet, the HH Supershelter + stock tarp attached as designed = dry in severe wind blown rain. At least the one or two times I have had it set up in those conditions. I actually think it is more wind and rain protection than a larger hex tarp tied to the trees- but with no SS- provides, unless it is a LOT larger maybe. At least more protection when you are actually in the hammock.

Of course, that still doesn't help if you need more dry space when you are not sleeping. And most folks prefer down UQs, which MUST be kept dry. And some need more privacy at least some times. And a fair number of folks don't like the SS, though it has it's few fans.

If you don't mind a few extra oz and spending some more money, there are some great tarps available. I have found the JRB rectangular 11x10 to provide GREAT coverage and stability in the wind. I thought the OES MacCat dlx was a work of art, at only a couple more oz than the stock tarp. But you still have to have a larger tarp pitched correctly for windy, stormy conditions. If the ends are not fairly close to closed on the windward side, wind can still blow rain onto the hammock/quilt and splash up from the ground can get you. I've seen it happen with a normal "A" frame pitch. It could have been easily prevented with a "storm" pitch, or by mostly closing the windward end, but I had not done that on that one occasion.

Hammock
    Dutch netless 9ft
    Tarp
    Zpack cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ/ JRB TQ
    Suspension
    mule tape
    I'd say that if you can see all around that you're not pitched for high winds! I have 2 small (6 in. x 6 in.) sil bags that I clip to the out side corners of my standard HH tarp. I have 2 16 oz soda bottles that I fill with water and place in the bags. This REALLY helps keep the tarp down and (more importantly) eliminates a lot of the flapping noise so I can sleep. Plus, the extra water frequently saves another trip to a water source and gets me out of camp earlier. You can also tie a fist sized rock to the clip.
    "A bore is a man who deprives you of solitude without providing you with company." Gian Vincenzo Gravina (1664 - 1718)

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe Asym
    Tarp
    Factory original
    Insulation
    Roll Mat
    Suspension
    Factory Original
    Images
    Thanks for the tips guys - unfortunately being a UK person, there isn't much choice in hammock tarps unless I import from the US. Hammock camping is very much in it infancy in Europe I'd never even heard of them till 6 months ago.

DD Hammocks has a super tarp (3x4.5?) which I have. I also have a 3x3 which I'm going to try out this weekend. I've used the XL tarp in conjunction with the stock tarp which provided me with a sitting area as well as a cooking area - worked out pretty well tbh.

trying to mobilise the troops for this weekend to do a bit of hammocking in cooler weather - I'm also going to mod a cheap sleeping bag into an underblanket - expect an instructable or similar.

I already use a self inflating roll matt which I fully inflate, then release air, seal and it works fine for me in summer conditions, but I think an underblanket would be nice for colder, windier and rainer conditions!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast