Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images

Hot Springs Trip Report

A big Whooo Buddy to Shrek for pulling off the Hot Springs Hang !

Others at the hang should fill in any parts I left out. This was my first group hand and I had a great time.

Picked up Hoop Cheese in Greenville NC at 9am Friday and we got to Hot Springs about 5pm (got stuck on the interstate for an hour when a tractor trailer decided to catch fire). We did stop by REI in Durham where I picked out a new back pack to replace my old Kelty which finally died after 30+ years.

Met Shrek at the camp site and got oriented as to where everything was at.

We found some trees by the river and set up camp. A group of us (Hoop Cheese, Shrek, myself and two others (their names escape me at the moment) were given the grand tour of Hot Springs by Shrek which took a whole 5 minutes and we proceeded to have dinner at the Smokey Mountain Dinner. Nothing fancy, just some good food. Excellent ice tea.

Sat around the campfire to BS with the others and watching the stars and airplanes overhead. Detail Man showed up late in the dark with his family and several of us went over to help him set up his brand new DIY hammock and tarp. Very nice for a first time and we got to ooo and ahh at his work.

Hit the hammock and never did hear the trains people talked about. Decided to sleep on top of my sleeping bag and used my poncho liner as a blanket. As first I thought I had the foot end of the hammock too high but I decide to leave it as is for the night. My only complaint in the morning was that I had to get up due to natures call as I was sleeping sooo good.

Had my self some Spam for breakfast, the breakfast of backpackers everywhere. Good Stuff.

Went around and took some pictures of the hammock and the setups. I think we had just about every type of suspension set up possible and a good variety of hammocks from homemade to Enos to Warbonnets and a variety of tarps and underquilts and topquilts.

The folks familiar with the area studied the maps and decided on the hikes and we divided up based on who was hiking which route.

I went with the group of ten doing the 5 mile section of the AT ending up back at the campground. Excellent day for a hike and I got a chance to test my new backpack and it held up fine. Saw lots of other day-hikers out along the tail. We found an excellent spot on top of the mountain for hanging. Took lots of pictures of the hike of which only a few turned out OK. A couple of the hikers had to return to camp early as they ran out of beer on the hike.

Got back to the camp site and sat around BS'ing with the others until time for the great hot dog roast. Everyone got a chance to burn their dogs the way they wanted and there was some discussion on the proper fixins for the dogs.

There was a wedding party going on across the way so we got to listen to some Jimmy Buffet music that night while we sat around the camp fire, burnt marshmallows and told bad jokes. There was even some wild bear encounter stories.

Finally had to call it a night and hit the hammock. Sleep good and hated to get up Sunday AM but had to break down camp for the long drive back to the coast. While it was only 62 degrees Sunday AM, I was walking around in my T shirt and shorts enjoying the cool weather while most of the others were bundled up like it was cold.

While I can not remember everyone’s name at the hang just wanted to say thanks and I had a great time and hope to do it again.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gunner76; 09-20-2010 at 20:45.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WB Blackbird SL 1.7
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Adjustable Web
    Images
    Great report and thanks for the photos.

I thought I was going to my first group hang when I saw the original invite posted on the forum.

Hot Springs is not far from Oklahoma City I excitedly thought. Then I realized from the web link in the post for the hang site info that you guys were hanging in HOT SPRINGS NORTH CAROLINA and not HOT SPRINGS ARKANSAS.

Sounds like everyone had a good time, and the trees in the area did their part. I'll just have to wait for a group hang much closer to home.

Hammock
    BB 1.7 Dbl, ENO SN, Switchback
    Tarp
    SWT, Diamond Fly
    Insulation
    Infl. Pad, Fleece
    Suspension
    Ring Bckl, Whoopie
    Thanks, Gunner. I'll try to get a few of my pics posted later this week. Things are a bit busy, here, as Mom had some surgery today and I'm having to play nurse.

It was Groundhog and Hogg Tyed that went on the grand tour with us.

The unofficial first night (Thursday) was quite an adventure. Snakeman and I rolled into town around lunchtime. Hangin' Burrito around 5:00. We had sunny skies and warm temps. Clear skies were in the forecast for that night, as of the last forecast I had seen. We were getting settled in for the evening, and awaiting the arrival of Shadowmoss. She arrived at 8:30, and we helped her get set up, as she was pretty much zombified by that time. Hammocks were hung, tarps pitched, and pleasantries shared before crashing at 10:30. That's when the fun started. It started raining. I'm not talking a gentle shower. This was a biblical proportion, need to build me an ark, gully washer. I think we had about 2" that night. We stayed dry in our hammocks, but there was a bit of concern about everything else floating away. And, did I mention the lightning? It was more exciting than watching fireworks. Finally, around daybreak, the thunder and lightning stopped, but the rain hung around until almost 9am.

Fortunately, the weather cleared up in time for everyone else to show up. Turned out to be a beautiful weekend.

I can't thank everyone enough that showed up and helped make this hang the success that it was.
    "I used to be sane, but now I'm better."

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Shrek. do you have a list of everyone who attended ?

Hope you mom is doing OK.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    Shrek, give your Mom my best. Sorry to hear she is under the weather.

I really, really appreciated the help setting up. Something about driving 3K miles in one fell swoop kinda had me unable to think or move right. I also really appreciated the hang and the time to spend with friends before heading out on my next adventure.

As an aside, for those who want to follow my travels in Central America, my blog is:
    http://shadowmoss.blogspot.com/
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

Hammock
    BB 1.7 Dbl, ENO SN, Switchback
    Tarp
    SWT, Diamond Fly
    Insulation
    Infl. Pad, Fleece
    Suspension
    Ring Bckl, Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    Shrek. do you have a list of everyone who attended ?

Hope you mom is doing OK.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmoss View Post

As an aside, for those who want to follow my travels in Central America, my blog is:
    Mom is doing well. This was a scheduled surgery that just happened to be the day after we returned from the hang.

Let's see if I can make a list of attendees by memory:
    Shrek
    Snakeman
    Hangin' Burrito
    Running Feather
    Shadowmoss
    Vic
    Groundhog
    Seuss
    Gunner76
    Hoop Cheese
    Bearpaw
    Sleeps with Skunks
    Hogg_Tyed
    Sweetpea & Andre
    Detail Man & Tweaky & kids

That should be everyone.
    "I used to be sane, but now I'm better."

Hammock
    warbonnet blackbird
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    3 season yeti
    Suspension
    straps/whoopie sli
    Well I'm glad you had a great first hang. I myself am going to my first hang this winter at Mt Rainer... wooooo frostttty cant wait

Hammock
    warbonnet blackbird
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    3 season yeti
    Suspension
    straps/whoopie sli
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmoss View Post

I really, really appreciated the help setting up. Something about driving 3K miles in one fell swoop kinda had me unable to think or move right. I also really appreciated the hang and the time to spend with friends before heading out on my next adventure.

Wow and I thought I was driving a long way to get to the Mt Rainer hang this winter, I am just going about 12oo miles.. SO why does my wife think I am crazy." to do all that driving just for two nights" She will never understand

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Congrats looks like you all had a good hang.
    Terry

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Sorry we missed it... Thing1 and I went to Dolly Sods. We'll be there next time!

Glad everyone had a good time!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast