MLD Cuben Hex CTRL
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    1/8 Whoopie Slings
    Images

Please Critique My Setup - Pictures Within

All,

Please look at the pictures and let me know if there is anything to better adjust my set-up. I tried the new dutch-biners and found they were kinda cumbersome for me so I put them back in my pack. Not really sure I need them.

This may seem like a stupid wuestions, but how does one keep their underquilt underneath them? Both nights, when I woke up, the pad was either on my left or right and I was awoken to CBS due to the 36 degree nights at sleeping bear dunes this weekend. Thinking I need a wider UQ too, my shoulders got very cold.

Also looking for suggestions to make it lighter.

Thanks for everyones help!

Hammock
    Ask me tomorrow
    Tarp
    Old Blue
    Insulation
    DIY, HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Agnostic
    Images
    Specifically on the underquilt question, I recommend you visit Shug Emery's YouTube "How To" videos. Part 2 of his "How To" videos, at about 6 minutes in, Shug starts to talk about underquilts (link: http://www.youtube.com/user/shugemer...30/XjL4ric6JZc). Great stuff there! Shug also talks through suspension options, too.

Another great site for suspension is Professor Hammock at: http://www.youtube.com/professorhammock

My best to you!! Looks like you've got a great start there.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Very nice set-up! I love the tarp. Going into fall, you could switch to a netless hammock to save weight. I find it easier to adjust an underquilt in an open, netless hammock because you can easily move. How do you have the uq attached?

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Okay, I got a closure look on your uq. The suspension lines go to the ends of the hammock not around the top.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Just from the pictures of the empty hammock, the yeti is too far to the head-end.

Forgive me if I'm saying something you already know, but the only trick to the Yetis is getting them to 'cup' your shoulders. For me, the top edge of the quilt stops at the top of my shoulders. I get a very positive seal at the top of the Yeti and the shockcord suspension cups around the top of my shoulders. The other thing is to make sure the shockcord suspension runs above the footbox. That little error in set-up makes a big difference.

Don't know if that helps, but those are the obvious things.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    Okay, I got a closure look on your uq. The suspension lines go to the ends of the hammock not around the top.
    Good catch!

Yes, the shockcord loop goes around the whipping mass at the ends of the hammock. If you had it set the way it looks in the pictures, you wouldn't have a very good seal at each end. That explains why your shoulders were cold and the onset of CBS.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Here is a shot from Gordzilla where you can see the suspension line running down the length of the hammock.

Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL W/ ADJ RL
    Tarp
    MLD Cuben Hex CTRL
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    1/8 Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    Thanks for that. I should have mentioned earlier, but yes, I tried that -- As soon as I got in the hammock initially, the shock cord snapped in two. I bought this Yeti used from the boards here, so I thought that perhaps the previous owner altered the shockcords. In any case, I tied a knot in the broken cord and was forced to use it like shown. It was a "trail-fix".

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Just from the pictures of the empty hammock, the yeti is too far to the head-end.

Forgive me if I'm saying something you already know, but the only trick to the Yetis is getting them to 'cup' your shoulders. For me, the top edge of the quilt stops at the top of my shoulders. I get a very positive seal at the top of the Yeti and the shockcord suspension cups around the top of my shoulders. The other thing is to make sure the shockcord suspension runs above the footbox. That little error in set-up makes a big difference.

Don't know if that helps, but those are the obvious things.
    Thanks for the help. I'll have to set it up again and play some more. Now perhaps I'm not laying in the hammock properly? because where it's shown in the pictures is very close to where I lay in the hammock to sort of keep my head slightly elevated and might explain why my shoulders themselves felt "pinched." As for the Yeti, where its shown, it cupped my shoulders well and stopped where my neck started. (I use a down balaclava or down hat for head insulation) Even then, I still had a bit of CBS and could not keep my calves warm even with a foam sit pad under them.

I still think the yeti is just too small for my size.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    LARGE!
    Insulation
    DIY Bag UQ
    Suspension
    Nacras an Whoopies
    Personally, my only obvious concern is with the choice of trees. If this was an overnight setup, i'd be picking a spot farther back in the woods away from the actual trail.

Night time traffic makes sleep interesting!
    I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    like others have said your uqis not hung right....make sure the line os over the whipping on the ends...this way it will snug up against you
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast