Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images

wearable quilts

on the thread "shamless plug" we were talking about quilts that could be worn around camp in place of other insulated clothing.
    i wasn`t sure how to transfer my last post from that thread to this new thread, but if you look at that you`ll get the idea.

i posted 4 photos in the gallery under "images for homemade gear forums directions".
    this is an idea i`ve been thinking & talking about for a while so i thought i`d better make an attempt to do it.

what you see in the photos is just a single layer of fabric i got from the $1.00 bin, but decided it`s to heavy to be much use.
    on this mock-up, there`s no insulation & no collars for the head hole or the arm holes like i described on the other post. but in the home made gear gallery you can see photos of the collar i used on the top cover of an insulated winter hammock.
    the adjustable collar works great. fairly easy to make, light weight, & very effective. ...tim
    Last edited by slowhike; 11-13-2006 at 07:20.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    ENO Double & HH Expedition
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Quilts rule!
    Images
    I went camping with the scouts this past weekend. There were clear skies both nights with temperatures in the 40's on Friday and in the 30's for Saturday. I ended up wearing my Nest under my jacket on Friday because the wind was so strong and cutting. I didn't need it on Sunday morning when I woke up because the wind was non-existant.
    Peace,
    Joe

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    i have a wearable sleeping bag,its is less than 20 bucks,wieghs less than 3 lbs,doubles as a oversized hooded parka.plus it is camo,i own 2 of them,one desert camo,one woodland camo neo

me wearing it

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/...imageuser=3462

packed

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/...imageuser=3462

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    No Sniveler. The Cadillac of wearable sleeping systems.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

how do you guys sleep in those things. I can't sleep with much on no matter how cold it is.

Hammock
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Quilts rule!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    how do you guys sleep in those things. I can't sleep with much on no matter how cold it is.
    I used my nest as a top quilt this past weekend. It just lays on top of me. It's so light, you don't even feel it. I make a foot box on the lower end. I pull the drawstrings on the top to fit around my shoulders to keep the drafts out. Tuck in the sides and you're good to go!

I wore polypro tops and bottoms and a pair of socks. I could've used a hat but was ok without it. The polypro is so thin, it's almost like wearing nothing at all. They slide pretty well on the hammock material so it's no problem to move around or turn on my side.
    Peace,
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by txulrich View Post
    I used my nest as a top quilt this past weekend. It just lays on top of me. It's so light, you don't even feel it. I make a foot box on the lower end. I pull the drawstrings on the top to fit around my shoulders to keep the drafts out. Tuck in the sides and you're good to go!

I wore polypro tops and bottoms and a pair of socks. I could've used a hat but was ok without it. The polypro is so thin, it's almost like wearing nothing at all. They slide pretty well on the hammock material so it's no problem to move around or turn on my side.

I am not talking a quilt or sleeping bag laying over you. I am talking about wearing one to sleep in. That seems to confining. Please tell me you don't wear that plus get into a bag or use a quilt.

Hammock
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Quilts rule!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    I am not talking a quilt or sleeping bag laying over you. I am talking about wearing one to sleep in. That seems to confining. Please tell me you don't wear that plus get into a bag or use a quilt.

No, no. At night, the quilt is that, a quilt. Though, with special designed features. I would wear it during colder weather as part of my layering during the day (as needed). But at night, it reverts to a quilt for sleeping. As stated earlier, I sleep in polypro longjohns. I would add socks, hat and gloves as needed.

I should also let everyone know that I did a little more multipurpose with my gear this weekend. I take my fleece sweater and use it as a pillow/neck support at night. Because I did forget my hat, I took the bottom of the sweater and pulled it over my head to cover my eyes and ears, then folded it back. I then folded the arms under my neck for the support that I like. I was then able to pull the hem down over my eyes without it being restrictive. It kept my head warmer and had the added advantage of blocking out the moonlight.
    Peace,
    Joe

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Tx,

Been using a similiar trick for years.... My jacket gets thrown in the head end...most is used as a pillow...some covers the back of the shoulders and a sleeve or some remaining edge covers the head... plus it is warm to put on in the morning.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    the quilts are fun to wear- and when you get up, they're right there, ready to be put on.

TH
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast