Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images

wearable quilts

on the thread "shamless plug" we were talking about quilts that could be worn around camp in place of other insulated clothing.
    i wasn`t sure how to transfer my last post from that thread to this new thread, but if you look at that you`ll get the idea.

i posted 4 photos in the gallery under "images for homemade gear forums directions".
    this is an idea i`ve been thinking & talking about for a while so i thought i`d better make an attempt to do it.

what you see in the photos is just a single layer of fabric i got from the $1.00 bin, but decided it`s to heavy to be much use.
    on this mock-up, there`s no insulation & no collars for the head hole or the arm holes like i described on the other post. but in the home made gear gallery you can see photos of the collar i used on the top cover of an insulated winter hammock.
    the adjustable collar works great. fairly easy to make, light weight, & very effective. ...tim
    Last edited by slowhike; 11-13-2006 at 07:20.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    ENO Double & HH Expedition
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Quilts rule!
    Images
    I went camping with the scouts this past weekend. There were clear skies both nights with temperatures in the 40's on Friday and in the 30's for Saturday. I ended up wearing my Nest under my jacket on Friday because the wind was so strong and cutting. I didn't need it on Sunday morning when I woke up because the wind was non-existant.
    Peace,
    Joe

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    i have a wearable sleeping bag,its is less than 20 bucks,wieghs less than 3 lbs,doubles as a oversized hooded parka.plus it is camo,i own 2 of them,one desert camo,one woodland camo neo

me wearing it

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/...imageuser=3462

packed

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    i have a wearable sleeping bag,its is less than 20 bucks,wieghs less than 3 lbs,doubles as a oversized hooded parka.plus it is camo,i own 2 of them,one desert camo,one woodland camo neo

me wearing it

packed

I got one of these from Neo and have slept in it once already. Thanks for the Christmas gift Neo.

Light and cheap - although I cannot vouch for any temp rating yet. After sleeping in one once I think it could be modified to be both lighter and warmer for the average hiker.

The bag is one of those military "one-size-fits-all" solution. This means the bag is a lot bigger inside than most people actually need thus there is a lot of space inside the bag to warm up. If you were to get one of these bags at that low of a price, you could take the sides in to make it fit more snug and reduce the interior volume which would give you two benefits: less space to heat up inside the bag and less superfluous material for the bag for a lower overall weight. At that low a price it wouldn't be hard for most people to start making mods - not like when you spend $200 on a bag.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    I got one of these from Neo and have slept in it once already. Thanks for the Christmas gift Neo.

Light and cheap - although I cannot vouch for any temp rating yet. After sleeping in one once I think it could be modified to be both lighter and warmer for the average hiker.

The bag is one of those military "one-size-fits-all" solution. This means the bag is a lot bigger inside than most people actually need thus there is a lot of space inside the bag to warm up. If you were to get one of these bags at that low of a price, you could take the sides in to make it fit more snug and reduce the interior volume which would give you two benefits: less space to heat up inside the bag and less superfluous material for the bag for a lower overall weight. At that low a price it wouldn't be hard for most people to start making mods - not like when you spend $200 on a bag.
    your welcome sgt rock merry christmas to ya and as always happy hammock hanging to ya neo

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB and Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat Custom Spin
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ/Nunatak TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

FF Winter Wren

Just got a FF Winter Wren with a 2oz overfill. I decided not to go the full zip route as Turk did since I don't plan to use it as a regular quilt. This ought to work well with a winter hammock system.
    Last edited by Quoddy; 09-12-2007 at 20:45.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Quoddy View Post
    Just got a FF Winter Wren with a 2oz overfill. I decided not to go the full zip route as Turk did since I don't plan to use it as a regular quilt. This ought to work well with a winter hammock system.
    yep, i think that's a great piece of gear. and it looks far better than any thing i've made yet<g>.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    No Sniveler. The Cadillac of wearable sleeping systems.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

how do you guys sleep in those things. I can't sleep with much on no matter how cold it is.

Hammock
    ENO Double &amp; HH Expedition
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Quilts rule!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    how do you guys sleep in those things. I can't sleep with much on no matter how cold it is.
    I used my nest as a top quilt this past weekend. It just lays on top of me. It's so light, you don't even feel it. I make a foot box on the lower end. I pull the drawstrings on the top to fit around my shoulders to keep the drafts out. Tuck in the sides and you're good to go!

I wore polypro tops and bottoms and a pair of socks. I could've used a hat but was ok without it. The polypro is so thin, it's almost like wearing nothing at all. They slide pretty well on the hammock material so it's no problem to move around or turn on my side.
    Peace,
    Joe

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast