Homemade Cat-style Tarp Question

I picked up 10 yds of 1.1 ripstop silnylon from Walmart and am considering making a Black Cat style rainfly/tarp out of it. It is only 44 inches wide. Is this wide enough to get good coverage with a Black Cat? I know BB uses something like 61 inch silnylon for his but this seems like overkill to me. Any help/advice welcome.

Edit: Sorry, I guess I should add that this will be used with my HH Expedition Asym.

Images
    The MacCat standard is 42" wide, so you can clone that. Lots of people love their standard, so I don't think you will have a problem. The width is not really anything I would be concerned with. It is the length that seems to be the bigger problem.

MacCat Standard 11.8oz 125" 84" (42" per side)

My MacCat Deluxe clone is 130" long and I would like it to be longer. However, I have been in rain with no problems. Using something to cover that the ends of the tarp helps. I used my rain coat to cover one end. You can also use gear hammock to cover an end.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    I think it may be a little short. By the time you get your cat cut and allow for seam allowances you will be shorter than most
    tarps.

I just looked at the MacCat's and the micro is only 31". I agree that the length is more important though. It's only time and not much money so go for it.
    Last edited by hangnout; 08-28-2007 at 07:36.

tarp length

lvleph, In your experience how much longer would you make your tarp? What hammock do you use? I would like to make this tarp and have no regrets on demensions when I'm done. Thanks for the great info everyone.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    you could use a storage end cover at one or both ends.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...5/P2110149.JPG
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    I made mine exactly the dimension of the MacCat deluxe, and I have a homemade hammock that I believe is 9' long with sag (structural ridge). If I were to remake my tarp, I would want another 1' to 2' I think. The biggest problem that you will have by doing that is the angle of your edges.

If you were to make a MacCat Standard clone, it would work. You will just have to be a little more diligent on how you pitch the tarp in bad conditions. It will most definitely still be an improvement over the stock rainfly. In fact, you will have an additional 28" on the ridge over the stock rainfly. It will work, but at times will make you nervous. Truthfully, the only reason I would make mine longer, is to make me less nervous about the ends being open. I think most people would probably say that is their reasoning too. Or that they want more room to cook and what not.

Thanks for the advice lvleph.

Hey slowhike, that's the first time i've seen the beaks. Are there MYOG instructions anywhere?

Thanks again fellas.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wamyteipen View Post
    Thanks for the advice lvleph.

Hey slowhike, that's the first time i've seen the beaks. Are there MYOG instructions anywhere?

Thanks again fellas.
    not yet, but i'll try to lay out the basics soon. it's pretty simple really.
    if you take a full width of silnylon about 25" long, & drape it over the ridge line, you'll begin to get the idea.
    i hemmed the edge that forms the large large opening facing the hammock & the edge that forms the small opening where the hammock support goes through.
    at the bottom i just sewed it together to form the shape i wanted, then trimmed away the excess.
    that kind of simple seam is plenty strong for some of your extra gear & there's no way for water to pool if any were to some how find it's way in.

here's a picture showing storage end covers on both ends.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...5/P2110139.JPG

i'm still working out a few details on that smaller, simpler, "storage end cover" for the foot end & also a some what larger one for the head end that holds empty pack, rain gear, etc.

but i should probably move this to another thread so this one can stay on topic<g>
    Last edited by slowhike; 08-29-2007 at 21:18.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Cat-Tarp finished

I finally finished my Homemade Cat Tarp today. The seam sealer is drying as I type. I ended up going with a 12' x 8' tarp. The gal at Wal-mart told me the material was only 44" but I measured and it was 48". It seems to hang pretty well considering I can't sew, this was my first sewing project, and I was using an early 1900's model Free Westinghouse sewing machine. There are some spots that don't look so pretty (cant' seem to get the tension right on this darn machine) but it is structurally sound and looks like it should do the trick. I used BB's Blackcat instructions and lvleph's caternary calculation spreadsheet (which is pretty slick....I'm kind of an amature Excel spreadsheet geek.) The project was a bit more difficult than I expected but do-able for a novice with some patience and a bit of time. I'll be taking it into the field later this week to test it out. I'd post pics but I don't carry a camera.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wamyteipen View Post
    I finally finished my Homemade Cat Tarp today. The seam sealer is drying as I type. I ended up going with a 12' x 8' tarp. The gal at Wal-mart told me the material was only 44" but I measured and it was 48". It seems to hang pretty well considering I can't sew, this was my first sewing project, and I was using an early 1900's model Free Westinghouse sewing machine. There are some spots that don't look so pretty (cant' seem to get the tension right on this darn machine) but it is structurally sound and looks like it should do the trick. I used BB's Blackcat instructions and lvleph's caternary calculation spreadsheet (which is pretty slick....I'm kind of an amature Excel spreadsheet geek.) The project was a bit more difficult than I expected but do-able for a novice with some patience and a bit of time. I'll be taking it into the field later this week to test it out. I'd post pics but I don't carry a camera.
    I wouldn't have suggested it as a first project, but it is cool that you went all out.

• + New Posts