Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Images
    I suspect it would mess up the system. The rings need to be able to "lock" together and stay reasonably aligned. Pulling on them with two separate ends of webbing isn't likely to do that very well.

But you can try it out and see. If you don't want to sew them in just tie them on with a larkshead or girth hitch to see if it works.

The whole point of the using a biner is so you don't have to thread the one end through. If you're going to do that just use a sewn loop on the end. No need for a ring.
    So many projects, So little time....

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Oh, ok. That answers my "big tree" question. Very interesting idea!

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Homemade 1.9oz
    Tarp
    Homemade cuben
    Insulation
    Homemade synthetic
    Suspension
    Strap-biner-buckle
    Images
    Yeah, I haven't ruled out the loop in the end of the strap. I'm a little concerned about the wear on the strap, though. Seems like I've heard I'll get longer longevity with a piece of hardware in there. For 11g, I wouldn't mind doing that, but I guess the problem of finding small rings that would fit through the big one is a significant one. Maybe I'm overcomplicating that part of it.

Another idea that appeals to me for simplicity is the double rings attached to the hammock line and just a straight piece of webbing using Ed's four-wrap knot at the tree, then threading through the ring buckle. That would require no sewing of the strap at all.

The only drawback to that is that you wind up with kind of a lot of webbing.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    You might as well go with the 'biner, if you're going to do all that. Maybe less webbing required (no four-wrap) so the weight would balance out?

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Homemade 1.9oz
    Tarp
    Homemade cuben
    Insulation
    Homemade synthetic
    Suspension
    Strap-biner-buckle
    Images
    So many choices...

Seems like the goal is minimizing the webbing and the hardware.

I also spent forever reading that huge thread on the Nite Ize gizmos for this.

I really thought I'd be able to log in and do a search on "perfect adjustable suspension" and have a single, brilliant diagram.

Images
    LOL!

We're still working on that... But the Fig 9 thread is the place where it'll happen.

Also you're REALLY unlikely to have significant wear issues with webbing on webbing (through a loop)... The wear issues reported have all been fine rope lines on webbing. Personally I like the biner (or C from the fig 9 thread) as the best option for convenience and short webbing. Then use line from the end of the webbing to the rings/hooks/slider on the hammock.

There isn't a big wear problem with the line on the webbing since its tied once and never moves again. Then you get a complete fully attached system that you only adjust. The problem comes in what you use for adjusters and who you have make them. The production of the hooks is on the new product list for my company, but we can only develop and introduce so many new products at a time and there are several in front of them.
    So many projects, So little time....

Here's my setup:

Stock HH huggers larksheaded to rings. Biner for easy on / off the tree - this could be a larger loop to pass the rings through, but a biner isn't a bad thing to have around - makes getting the height correct after setup easy, and for the weight I'll diet first before I worry about it.

I run the line through the rings and I do a stopper knot - but I think with Tree Dwellers method I could forgo the stopper.

I'm going to sew some straps with larger loops - it will move the stitching further away from the rings - and I'll be able to pass the rings through the loop if I want to ditch the biner.

Hammock
    Homemade 1.9oz
    Tarp
    Homemade cuben
    Insulation
    Homemade synthetic
    Suspension
    Strap-biner-buckle
    Images
    Rapt, I loved that thread and can't wait to see what you come up with.

bmike, that's almost exactly what I had in mind. Do you use this setup while hanging over broken glass and hungry crocs? I'm looking for a very secure solution. Could you expand on what Tree Dweller's method is and how and why you use the stopper knot?

I think what I'm starting to like the most is like what bmike has pictured, but maybe with just the sewn (or tied) loop instead of the biner and either the rings or some variation of the figure 9 for adjustment.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Rapt, I loved that thread and can't wait to see what you come up with.

bmike, that's almost exactly what I had in mind. Do you use this setup while hanging over broken glass and hungry crocs? I'm looking for a very secure solution. Could you expand on what Tree Dweller's method is and how and why you use the stopper knot?

I think what I'm starting to like the most is like what bmike has pictured, but maybe with just the sewn (or tied) loop instead of the biner and either the rings or some variation of the figure 9 for adjustment.
    Pics are worth more than words, I think.

I spent my first night in my hammock set like this... never worried about it. It slipped the first time I got in, so I added the additional wrap through the rings. That would probably hold on its own... but I added the stopper for security.

Hammock
    Homemade 1.9oz
    Tarp
    Homemade cuben
    Insulation
    Homemade synthetic
    Suspension
    Strap-biner-buckle
    Images
    That's awesome, thank you. Can you still pull it tighter after the fourth picture (before the stopper)? I wouldn't mind tying the stopper after I'd gotten everything set up, but I'd like to be able to fiddle with everything, including sitting in the hammock, before doing so.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast