DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    That machine is a slant shank, so if you need to buy accessory presser feet, remember that they must be made for a slant shank machine. I have a 401a and love it. They are pretty burly machines, and parts availability is no problem.
    "Interesting! No, wait, the other thing.....tedious!"- Bender Bending Rodriques

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    That machine is a slant shank, so if you need to buy accessory presser feet, remember that they must be made for a slant shank machine. I have a 401a and love it. They are pretty burly machines, and parts availability is no problem.
    Thanks for that...I've been reading up (ya know, while working diligently at my day job). There are a couple web pages dedicated to supporting these machines, even ones that specialize in rebuilding them with parts and manuals and all that.

The lady just E-mailed me back that I can pick up the machine tonight. Apparently I'm getting it with 13 different cams, and a box full of presser feet:

------------------------------------------------------------------

Straight stitch/Zig Zag foot, Zipper foot and another adjustable zipper foot, buttonhole foot - to sew on buttons, binding foot-to attach seam binding, gathering attachment, a foot that folds over the end to sew an edge, a seam guide. Cams: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11, 12, 15 cams. The manual and some extras are included. Two screw drivers 1 large and 1 small and a brush. The 0 cam which is included is often lost and very expensive to replace, this is in the machine.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds pretty well rounded to me. I figure if it doesn't work for me, or I find I'm not the sewing wizard I think I can be, I could probably flip it for what I paid for it.

Hammock
    DIY CamoHammo
    Tarp
    DIY Catcut
    Insulation
    Body fat!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Just for comparison, I bought a Dressmaker SWM 1000 for $35. The lady had a dozen machines, bought them up at yard sales over the years and now is clearing out closets. She cleaned and oiled it for me and gave me an hour long lesson on it so I left knowing it worked and how to thread it and wind the bobbin. Got the manual too. She had a Montgomery Ward machine for $25. I saw this on Craig's List, same time period there were 5 other machines I was interested in, none of them over $50. Most were Brother brand. Mine was made late 60s in Japan. It's pretty solid, not a high dollar machine by any means but it seems to work fine despite some operator error.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim Mac View Post
    Just for comparison, ...snip...
    It is very difficult to accurately compare the value of different brands of machines. Some are classic machines, and like classic cars can demand a higher price. Some are knock-offs and use "off the shelf" parts that were very available when they were made but are no longer plentiful. Some, like the slant needle Singers were high end tech machines when they were new. To say cheaper machines are out there is correct. But to make a comparison does not work for me. The availability of repair parts for a Singer is one of the reasons they often go for higher prices. Singer has had the reputation for having parts for just about every older electric machine they have made. Whether this is still true I can not vouch as I have not had a Singer for years. But many of the early machines are still being used in third world cottage industries and might be still supported by the company. They were several years ago.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing

Looks almost new. Looks fine to me.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    diy
    Insulation
    IX
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Your ready to rock and roll now. Made in USA also. I like the secondary compartment on the right on your cabinet. One of my cabinets has a knee throttle which I like. When I was researching for mine I read that a 401 was equal to costing like $2500 today. One of these days I'm going to put a hot rod paint job on one of my Rocketeers.
    "If the women don't find you handsome,they should at least find you handy"-Red Green

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by tasthree View Post
    Your ready to rock and roll now. Made in USA also. I like the secondary compartment on the right on your cabinet. One of my cabinets has a knee throttle which I like. When I was researching for mine I read that a 401 was equal to costing like $2500 today. One of these days I'm going to put a hot rod paint job on one of my Rocketeers.
    I read that same article.

Mine does have the knee throttle as well, though I'll probably stick with the foot throttle, because that's what I learned on (20 years ago!).

I was going to fire it up last night, but I couldn't find my ripstop scraps and I was tired.

I did however make another score that's soon to be put up in the For Sale section:

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    8x10 made by me
    Insulation
    JRB winter UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Looking good Raven!
    Now lets see that thread injector crank out some gear.

My newer machines balk at webbing, I'd like to get one of those old work horses to do the heavy stuff.

Texas, just down the road from South Fork Ranch
    Nice Machine!! Make sure to keep a dust cover on it whenever you're not using it; prolongs the life of the motor.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Just an FYI: I have a 150+ year old Singer, it will sew the heavy stuff like a dream. IT DOES NOT LIKE SIL NYLON!! Nothing I do will get this sewing machine to sew more than about 3 inches of Sil, IF I can get that out of it.

I say that because as suggested, take a sample of material or two to try.

All of my modern machines (I have 4 & access to 2 others) have no problems with the lighter stuff. My 2nd oldest is about 50 as yours is, so prolly not an issue.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast