WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing

Thanks Jeff...

BTW help out a newb y'all, any reasons you like brand A over brand B would you tell why? I am in agreement about mass manufacturing from China and really wish more American companies (especially companies like HH etc) would quit using their labor. On that note, I'll wager many American companies wish Americans would spend the extra filthy lucre to have it made here.

Moderator; could you please move thread thread to General? Thanks.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Brand A over Brand B is very personal for each person. For instance, the only Clark I can actually get comfortable in is the Vertex and that's only because I can 'cheat' and throw my feet into the other hammock bed. Soon enough, a Clark person will post to this thread and say they don't understand that because the Clarks are the most comfortable thing they've ever laid in.

The Blackbirds get a lot of play here because, in part, of the designer's interaction on this Forum. It doesn't hurt that he has created a very comfortable hammock that is still light enough for our needs and even incorporates some luxury features, like the shelf. I think the Warbonnet stuff is large enough and configured in a way that makes it comfortable for a wider group of folks. Doesn't mean it's the best for you.

There is really no better way to make an informed hammock purchase decision than to try them out in real life. All of us around here have opinions, unfortunately, most don't realize that I'm the only one that's correct. (smileys mean that's a joke) Point is, opinions aren't worth much unless they are similar to yours.

Maybe that would be a perfectly good excuse to get on your bike and go. Make yourself a map with HF members that have the hammocks you're interested in trying, then take a little roadie. You can call it "Hammock Quest 2010".
    Trust nobody!

I have both/all. Two Clarks, Two HH's a Grand Trunk and an ENO. Money being no object the Clarks get my vote hands down. I like the integrated tarp, weather shield, zip bug net, top entry, storage pockets. As a base camp hammock it has it all. What it does not have is they same thing all the others do not have.

I like the two HHs for a light quick overnight warm weather hammock though the bugs being able to bite through becomes a real problem here in GA.

The Grand Trunk and ENOs are good inexpensive travel hammocks but they do not have the bells and whistles of the others.

I bought a WBBB because of hype here. No doubt it is a quality product. I found it too warm (I got the double layer) for the hotter climate here in the summer. The sides come up high and block much air flow. The foot box boxes in your feet and there is no air circulation there either. The tie-off for the zipper side in above the zipper and right above my head so I have to fight with it getting in and out. The tarp is not integrated. I have really begun to prefer the integration of the tarp and hammocks on the Clark and HH.

They all are good hammocks and have features that make each original. Because the Clark has it all in one package for the most part that is the one I would choose if I had to get rid of all but one. Thankfully I don't have to get rid of any so I can choose which one I want to use for each trip.

A week long trip not knowing all the conditions or as a base camp on long trips, I will choose one of the Clarks.

A quick warm weather overnighter, I will choose the HH.

A quick hang the ENO gets the nod.

A two or three day trip where I want a seperate tarp or no tarp the WBBB goes.

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

My sentiments exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by Riverpirate View Post
    A week long trip not knowing all the conditions or as a base camp on long trips, I will choose one of the Clarks.

A quick warm weather overnighter, I will choose the HH.
    And well-argued.

Jim

Hammock
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing

Thumbs up Good info y'all...

Thanks R.Pirate. The Clark NX 250 has a separate tarp as well (I'm thinking of the Vertex upgrade one). The beauty of this is the hammock goes into a stuff sack and the tarp goes into a separate one for soggy stuff. You set up the tarp in the rain and then the hammock (reverse take down). As to foot boxes etc, I am a side sleeper (jack knife position mostly) and so just about any gathered end hammock is going to work for me.

No matter what hammock I end up with I'm looking at the Molly Mac IX Hammock Soc with added IX UQ. Also I am thinking of adding a 2QZQ UQ protector for skeeters and added protection (the HH Exp Del needs one for sure). An Exped Multimat will be for added insulation (under the sleeping bag liner with the bag for an OQ) and for those times when I must go to the ground as protection. I almost always find cooler spots to camp in so the insulation will be used more times than not.

Weight is not as big an issue when moto camping, space and multi use is. Grams mean nothing as do ounces...multiple pounds are where we start fretting.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverpirate View Post
    They all are good hammocks and have features that make each original. Because the Clark has it all in one package for the most part that is the one I would choose if I had to get rid of all but one.

Agreed but then probably because it is what I have been thinking. The big planned trip is Bakersfield to Alaska on a BMW F800GS set up with luggage (that set up a thread all its own). The conditions will range from too dang hot/dry to too dang cold/wet. I will be hanging as much as possible but also know I will have to go to ground at times. The trip is planned as my retirement celibration and may last months (Kitchen Warden permitting).

And well-argued.

Jim
    Well balanced too with no dog in the hunt for other makers. Really like the "if I could only have one" line of reasoning.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Quote Originally Posted by Law Dawg View Post
    The Clark NX 250 has a separate tarp as well (I'm thinking of the Vertex upgrade one).
    That was my thinking too, so I went with the Vertex tarp for the NX-250.

Now everyone has me thinking...If I decide that the Clark is the one I like the least, I suppose I'll just keep it rather than lose too much money selling a new hammock and tarp.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by gtshouse View Post
    That was my thinking too, so I went with the Vertex tarp for the NX-250.

Now everyone has me thinking...If I decide that the Clark is the one I like the least, I suppose I'll just keep it rather than lose too much money selling a new hammock and tarp.
    I'm looking forward to reading your hang report. Have you read Jsaults' Clark 250 report? http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=21398 Good read so far. If cash was more disposible I would copy you plus add a HH to boot...when I grow up I want to be like Riverpirate.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    Incubator
    I have only hung it one time and I did not have the time to get it dialed in. I posted a couple of pictures asking for suggestions on how to make it better.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=22028

I have been busy and have not had a chance to try everyone's suggestions. The ten minutes I spent in it was nice though!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by gtshouse View Post
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=22028

I have been busy and have not had a chance to try everyone's suggestions. The ten minutes I spent in it was nice though!
    Read that one too. This poster brings a question though.

Quote Originally Posted by odds View Post
    IIRC the Clarks tend to keep you more in line than other hammocks. I have a Clark Jungle from years ago and I found the same.
    So hammock guys for a better flat lay would you tend toward the 250 or the WBBB? The top pic of the WBBB shows an A-sym style lay that would fit me perfectly (right side jack knife)...if the pic is any measure.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast