HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images

Need Suspension ideas (TMI)

Too Much Information!

I need some help with suspension ideas. I just ordered my GT Skeeter Beeter Pro, and I want to upgrade the suspension. I found this thread http://http://www.hammockforums.net/...ad.php?t=22257 which really helped (thanks Irishman and miisterwright!), as I am looking at whoopie slings. What else should I need? Tree huggers? Anything else?

I want to keep it light and easy, but I am not (yet) a gram counter. I come from both a boy scout and sailing background, so knots are no struggle for me.

Any ideas will help.
    Last edited by Buffalo Skipper; 09-21-2010 at 12:14.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Noah 9
    Insulation
    3S Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have tried tons of different suspension systems lately on my ENO (the ENO included suspension, Tri-Glides, ring buckles, etc) in an attempt to find my personal favorite. I will tell you that Whoopie Slings are hands down the best option. Just get some poly webbing (i use 10 feet per tree... overkill, but I'd rather be safe than sorry), sew a loop in the end (to secure it to the tree), use a marlin spike hitch in the webbing tail and attach your whoopie (which is attached to your hammock of course)... easy as pie and super adjustable, not to mention light as can be.

Hopefully that was clear enough... there are tons of posts here about it if mine didn't make sense lol

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Noah 9
    Insulation
    3S Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    just to clarify, I would ditch the S hook and rope that come with the hammock and attach a whoopie to each end through the pre-sewn channels...

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    I recommend to everyone that is trying to figure out what suspension to pick to take the few minutes and check out each of Grizz's Primers on Suspension.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f2Xt...eature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPpnd...eature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGRAn...eature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw6P3...eature=channel
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    lincolnstrong, thanks for the ideas. I have a question about using a 10' strap. Is it possible to get your straps too long? I guess you could just tie a loop in the middle to shorten them and use a Marlin spike hitch to set a good length for the whoopie slings. Am I understanding this right?

Remember, I am learning all this in the abstract. I have seen Shug's and Grizz's videos (multiple times) but I have yet to lay in a hammock. I was out camping over a week ago, and I met several hangers. All had ENOs and their suspension was crude at best (straps tied directly around the trees; no slings, no biners, clips or anything else). Seemed to work fine, but none had netting or tarps. Even after talking to 3 or 4 different people, none offered to let me lay to try out.

I am truly ready to move off the ground....

Just realized that I forgot to insert the link to the thread which I found so helpful. Your clarification, lincolnstrong, is exactly what is posted on this link.
    http://http://www.hammockforums.net/...ad.php?t=22257
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Skipper View Post
    lincolnstrong, thanks for the ideas. I have a question about using a 10' strap. Is it possible to get your straps too long? I guess you could just tie a loop in the middle to shorten them and use a Marlin spike hitch to set a good length for the whoopie slings. Am I understanding this right?
    That's it exactly! Insert one end of the tree webbing through the sewn loop end (or use Dutch Clips or a 'biner) and tie a marlinspike hitch in the free end sorta close to the tree (I usually have about a foot or so between tree and marlinspike hitch). Slip the whoopie sling over the toggle/marlinspike hitch (keep the sling on the knot part of the hitch), adjust the whoopie sling for length and you're ready to lie down.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    OK, let's see if I can follow the math here. If I get two 10' tree straps, minus the diameter of the tree, I would have about 4' (ish) times 2, plus two 6' whoopie slings and a 10' hammock, all at 30° would give me (thanks to Pythagoras) roughly a 20' range between trees. Approximately.

Right?

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Skipper View Post
    OK, let's see if I can follow the math here. If I get two 10' tree straps, minus the diameter of the tree, I would have about 4' (ish) times 2, plus two 6' whoopie slings and a 10' hammock, all at 30° would give me (thanks to Pythagoras) roughly a 20' range between trees. Approximately.

Right?
    Yep...I usually use trees from 15' to 20' apart. At the long end of that range, my straps are up pretty high...about 8 feet or so...maybe a little more.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Noah 9
    Insulation
    3S Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    you've got it! I just use long lengths of webbing to ensure i have enough to go around the tree + make it to my whoopie sling. My whoopie sling can extend out to 6 feet though, so i usually have a lot of excess webbing hanging beneath the marlin spike and a lot of tail hanging from my whoopie sling. but, like i said, for a couple extra ounces, i'd rather be safe than sorry!

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    I hope not to start a riot with this one, but now, where do I go to get all this. I can sew, but would prefer to get 10' straps pre-looped (I can make my own later). Likewise with the whoopie slings. I have been splicing 3-strand, single and double braid for some time, but, even after looking at the tutorials on making whoopies, I would like to purchase a set first.

Is there a "supplier" who can provide all this for me? Network security at work prevents me from going to whoopiesling.com or to access all the pages of arrowheadequipment. Anyone else I should consider to custom the slings? If I go with a clip/biner, what should I consider? What are the advantages of triglides over a loop and biner or dutch clip? It is difficult to form an opinion on something here when I have not yet seen or tried any of these methods....

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast