Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    In your browser, on the left holding this pose in real-time, for your amusement
    Hammock
    WBBBH (summer) and WBTH (3 season)
    Tarp
    Not blown away yet
    Insulation
    UQ Connoisseur
    Suspension
    Fig-9's no huggers
    Images

DISCUSS- Hot-tenting with hammocks, a JRB prototype

In response to Review of the JRB prototype hammock tent http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=2244

Okay so this is a companion thread to discuss anything about the JRB tent, wood stoves, hot-tent concepts and safety and of course to get some of your expert thoughts and opinions and pick your brains on this topic.
    I will thank all of you in advance for the help you have already given me with
    general hammock hanging, and this new and sort of un-touched realm of hammocking.

As Far as I know, there is only one other person I have ever heard of using a stove inside a tent designed for hammocks. I tried hard to get in touch with this person, but never got any response. It would be great if more people were into this kind of thing. There are so many new variables that come into this type of a system. Woodstoves are very easy to build, and I would be happy to share some resources if someone wanted to whip up a DIY one to help me co-explore the uncharted lands of this concept.

Anyways I wanted to share a bit more about the first 2 easy mods I did to the JRB prototype.

1. The stove-jack is sold as an all-in-one kit, from titanium goat's website.
    www.titaniumgoat.com The outer cover is a patch of 1.1oz sil that keeps out rain and storm proofs the shelter for nights when you don't want to use the stove and chimney.

2. the sil-cover is velcro on 4 sides and peels back to reveal the rubberized fireproof fabric that contacts the stove pipe directly. In the titanium goat instructions, there are details on permanently attaching the storm flap. But... call it my own paranoia, or whatever. I just thought it would be easier to keep anything, and everything flamable, away from the scorching hot chimney pipe. In practice it has been very easy to just remove the storm flap and keep it inside the tent with my other gear, when I am setting up the stove.

3. There are 2 layers to the fireproof rubber-like material under the storm flap.
    The top layer flap serves 2 purposes. It keeps the chimney hole covered to give you extra protection when you aren't using a stove, and it also flips up to maintain a fireproof barrier between your chimney and tent fabric when you push the chimney through the hole.

4. There is an upper tab of velcro sewn separately to seal the storm flap from both sides.

5. You have to cut your own hole for the stove pipe. I have done this twice now with Ti-goat stove jacks, and this is the best one yet. I found that making the hole 1/8" larger in dia. than your stove pipe, lets it slide though easily, (but still carefully) and still supports the chimney in winds. Okay go ahead and laugh at my hand stitching. The circle of stitches around the hole for the chimney was just to secure the tent fabric with a couple inches of clearance from the stove pipe, and make sure that if anything did touch the chimney, it was only the fireproof, stove jack material.

6. A better picture of how the flap protects the tent fabric from touching the
    chimney.

7. here is the underside of the stove jack. I struggled and struggled trying to sew the jack myself. i broke 2 needles my cheap borrowed walmart sewing machine, before finally throwing up the white flag. Trying to sew through the velcro, and the tough rubberized fireproof material was really hard. The thread kept shredding, and I couldnt get the right tension on the bottom of the lock stitch. I took it into an upholstery shop, and the guy had it done for me ready for pickup in a couple of hours, for a mere 10 bucks. Wow... that was easy!

8. I added a ridgeline across the roof of the whole tent to serve a coupe of purposes. I will demonstrate this idea I have about hanging up all your wet winter clothes for drying in a future post. There is a little slot in the very top of the JRB tent where the 2 sides of omnitape meet the peak. This was a great place to slip in some small cordage to serve as a ridgeline.

9. On the other end I added a micro biner to make the ridgeline removeable.
    and adjustable for tension if I want to hang heavier items.

10. works great, just like the Hennessey ridgeline we all love, but mine is
    integrated with the shelter rather than the hammock, and 11ft long.
    Last edited by turk; 11-06-2007 at 23:51.

i would be happy to usually, but I am already a warm sleeper, and Im making a tarp that is small enough to cover my hammock and a little more room, but thats it (maybe a folding camp chair too)

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    nice review turk. that is a nice looking set up.
    you're right, the trade off of less insulation would go a long ways in covering the extra weight of the fire resistant material.

i have a friend who has converted to hammocking, but does more hunting than back packing. this may be of interest to him.

the main concerns that stick in my mind at this point are...
    1)... the need for a person using this kind of set up to learn & pay attention to the "learning curve" involved w/ the wood stove.
    2)... the lack of pitch on the roof makes me wonder if a person in heavy snow might have problems w/ build up through the night (or through the day while they were out doing other things for that mater).
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Tarp
    Not blown away yet
    Insulation
    UQ Connoisseur
    Suspension
    Fig-9's no huggers
    Images
    Oh ya... forgot to mention. If Mt. Rogers ends up being the place for the winter hang. This is what I am bringing. Hopefully if some of you get to see it in real life, you will have some good insights and suggestions to make it better.

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by turk View Post
    Oh ya... forgot to mention. If Mt. Rogers ends up being the place for the winter hang. This is what I am bringing. Hopefully if some of you get to see it in real life, you will have some good insights and suggestions to make it better.
    i hope that works out. that would be pretty cool to see that heated tent in action.
    we may want to all come hang out w/ you<g>.
    i'll bet you could just sit in your hammock & not get bored for lack of company

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    How did you get the JRB Tarp Tent? I've been begging for one of the 8x8 TT for a while, even a prototype would suit me. I think Pan said they would be available soon so I check the site every day. I was hoping to get one to use at the Red River Gorge hang out next week, but It looks like they are gonna take a little longer..
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Tarp
    Not blown away yet
    Insulation
    UQ Connoisseur
    Suspension
    Fig-9's no huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    How did you get the JRB Tarp Tent?
    Just a couple of days before I was heading back home, for my north of Superior trip on the cdn thanksgiving long weekend Pan approached me to see if I would be interested in testing this proto hammock tent. I was very excited, as at that point I was about to unleash my own DIY version of similar design. I had just finished my DIY model cut from a Kelty Noah 16 tarp and was doing the final field test before featuring it here as an article. But to anyone that read that thread, my DIY tarp tent was destroyed on that trip, and I lost all but one pic of the project.

I will say that the timing was very fortunate. The JRB design had solved many problems that were immediately apparent in my own DIY attempt. I was not thrilled with several choices I had made in my own version that became apparent with backyard testing. I was a little over cautious with the stove placement and gave up considerable usable space in the DIY version. Velcro doors are no comparison to omni tape. And the most important aspect being the exact shape and placement of sewn seams has really made the JRB version stand on a pedestal far above my DIY. It pitches so much tighter, and maintains good tension across a larger surface area in all its configurations.

having a second chance has been great. I was able to avoid several key mistakes I had made with the DIY. I very carefully chose my location for the stove jack in the JRB tent. I tightened my clearances to the tent fabric and made sure that I could reach the stove to load wood in, or even cook, without getting out of my hammock. I keep telling myself this will become a great feature with more testing. Half-asleep in the middle of the night, and tending the stove without the need to get up.
    Last edited by turk; 11-07-2007 at 17:32.

Hammock
    homemade hand knotted
    Tarp
    Neo
    Images

I am very interested in your results

I have been waiting for a way to hang during ice fishing forrays into the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness (southern cap on Quetico Provincial Park). I have always used snow huts or quinzees (sp?) in the past.
    It was half a day before my back loosened up enough to do much of anything. This led me to quit going years ago.
    With daylight at a premium during that time of year, one spends a lot of time in the shelter. It really sucks when you are uncomfortable.
    It must only be colder still in your area. The wolves and northern lights are what I miss most. No **** mosquitoes or black flies either!
    This would be the answer. Keep us posted.

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by turk View Post
    . I tightened my clearances to the tent fabric and made sure that I could reach the stove to load wood in, or even cook, without getting out of my hammock. I keep telling myself this will become a great feature with more testing. Half-asleep in the middle of the night, and tending the stove without the need to get up.
    now i like that

yep heated lightweight shelters are great! i also bougt a stove jack from (TIG) and took a golite lair tarp and enclosed the front to form a door out of some 1.1silnyl worked great,even made a wood stove out of the old ladys cook pot.but sounds like being able to hang off the ground would be a whole lot more comfertabel.since then i converted to kifaru.net 4man tipi!! whole lot lighter with their stove than my old ladys cook pot. just curious TURK what did you use for stove pie?? is it a one piece or two or three sepperate sections?
    Last edited by TIMfrom_indiana; 11-07-2007 at 20:45.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast