Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images

Bunching thread Help!

I need some help here. I have a nearly new machine (12 years old but barely used, probably has run less than 10 yards of stitches). Here is the machine, and here is what is happening on the bottom.

Here is what I have done to try to fix the problem.
    1) Replaced the Bobbin Case, which had been properly installed years ago an was broken.

2) Cleaned and oiled the machine

3) Replaced the needle, which was visably bent (once removed). None of this appeared to improve the situation, in fact, the "loops" on the bottom only appear to be larger than when I first tried this.

Any suggestions are welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The round dial under the threading diagram is the top thread tension adjustment. It sounds like it is too loose. Tighten the top tension to about the middle range and see what happens. Doo this before doing anything else. Take things one step at a time. Make sure the top thread is threaded properly. It has to snug up into that tension dial.

Did you deal with the new bobbin case or did you get it from a local shop? If the local shop played around with it then leave it alone. If on the other hand... you are the only person to have messed with it then this is one of those times it might make sense to adjust the bobbin tension. (don't freak people... the end times have not arrived.) The bobbin should dangle from the thread and just barely move when bounced dropped (not thrown) like a yoyo. If the local store fit it too the machine then they should have adjusted it. I would recommend you not change it.

If the tension adjustment does not solve the problem then something else is wrong which will take some additional tweaking.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    The thread tension is currently exactly in the middle. A friend of mine assisted with bobbin tension (easily adjusted if necessary). I will play with both and get back to everyone....
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Skipper View Post
    The thread tension is currently exactly in the middle. A friend of mine assisted with bobbin tension (easily adjusted if necessary). I will play with both and get back to everyone....
    Take the thread completely out of the machine on both the top and bobbin. Then rethread the whole thing and try again.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Take the thread completely out of the machine on both the top and bobbin. Then rethread the whole thing and try again.
    All right. Did that. Adjusted the bobbin tension all the way up and all the way down (5 or 6 different attempts). No noticable difference in the result. Same large 3/4" loops on the bottom.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Why did the machine stop being used? Is there someone you could ask? It is sounding to me like there ius a major problem with the tension parts. If the machine was doing that when it was put away, then it will still be doing it now. It might need a mechanic to check it out. Occasionally tension srings and tension plates break or warp or some such problem.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    Hennessay Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Stock Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    Potomac
    Suspension
    Homemade whoopie
    Two things to check and try.
    1. are you sure that the thread is going thru the thread take up arm (in the vertical slot). I had similar problem and had missed getting the thread in the slot in the arm.

2. try a different weight of material to make sure it's a mechanical problem before taking it to the shop.

Alan

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Burd View Post
    Two things to check and try.
    1. are you sure that the thread is going thru the thread take up arm (in the vertical slot). I had similar problem and had missed getting the thread in the slot in the arm. Alan
    Good call on that. The take up arm is hidden beh9ind some kind of shield. Does that remove or lift up or something to show the arm? If not then you MUST pay particular attention to the position of the needle mount. It _must_ be in the extreme upright position before you thread the machine. Otherwise your chances of having the take up arm pick up the thread is distinctly reduced. Kind of a weird arrangement if you ask me. But then they didn't didn't when they designed it.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    Hennessay Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Stock Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    Potomac
    Suspension
    Homemade whoopie
    my machine is a singer of the approx same age and looks a lot like Buffalo skippers that how I knew how easy it is to miss the arm.
    Last edited by Alan Burd; 10-02-2010 at 20:45. Reason: spelling

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    Thanks Alan. I may call you tomorrow if that doesn't fix it. My ultimate goal here is to be able to machine stitch the loops in my webbing, and to convert an old sleeping bag into a usable underquilt.

The sleeping bag is currently rigged very crudly to the bottom of my hammock and I will be sleeping in the hammock for the first time tonight. Next weekend, I will hope to have a better arrangement.

More to follow on all counts tomorrow....

View from my hammock tonight at sunset:
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast