Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images

Ridgeline and an Noah's tarp

I have been using a 12' Noah's tarp for some time, not for hammocking, btw, but I have not been satisified with the center "pull/sag." However, with all the discussion I am reading about ridgelines, I am reconsidering the Tarp with a ridgeline.

Will adding a ridgeline (under the tarp) this keep the diagonal more straight, if a ridgeline of non-stretch line is used? And if so, will the lack of "draw down" make the rest of the tarp loose?
    Last edited by Buffalo Skipper; 09-22-2010 at 12:10.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    ENO, HH ULB, WBBB, GT
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    AHELR,Agnes,WInCub
    Suspension
    Cinch,Tglides,Whoo
    I'm posting only so I can follow this thread as I too have a Noah 9 and 12 and yuo havw a good question, BS. I do use a tarp ridgeline with mine--made by whoopieslings.com, with great success.
    Last edited by coolkayaker1; 09-22-2010 at 13:22.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Noah 9
    Insulation
    3S Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I use the same tarp, but I have never tried setting it up with a ridgeline. I will try it next time i go out to see what happens, though I would bet that the cat-cut nature of the tarp would prevent any loose flaps or sections.
    I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I have not lived.
    -Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    WBBB XLC dbl. 1.7, ENO Dblnst
    Tarp
    Superfly, MCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Zep/Incu/NewR/SSnv
    Suspension
    tree strap/whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Skipper View Post
    I have been using a 12' Noah's tarp for some time, not for hammocking, btw, but I have not been satisified with the center "pull/sag." However, with all the discussion I am reading about ridgelines, I am reconsidering the Tarp with a ridgeline.

Will adding a ridgeline (under the tarp) this keep the diagonal more straight, if a ridgeline of non-stretch line is used? And if so, will the lack of "draw down" make the rest of the tarp loose?

I have both the 9' and 12' Noah's Tarps. I tried using the 9' with my ENO DoubleNest this week and had no problem with it pitched diagonally and very low over my hammock by stringing out the corners using tautline hitches to the trees and staking the other corners to the ground. I slept in it during a windy night with no issues.

I've never been bothered by center "sag" in either of the tarps as it's more a product of the catenary cut of the tarp pieces before sewing than it is actual sag. It may look like it's sagging, but it's the cut, and it has benefits in the wind (but maybe not in set-up versatility).

A Noah's Tarp can be pitched over a ridgeline on the square and have no looseness issues, but I always assumed (and I guess that's the key word here) that there would be looseness issues at each end if it was pitched diagonally over a ridgeline. Now, I'm anxious to find out myself....

Take it easy,
    desmobob

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Tarp
    Insulation
    Lynx Winter Full
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Buffalo Skipper, I have been using my Noah's Tarp 12' with 550 cord as my ridgeline all summer with great success. It stays nice and tight just above my hammock and the ends of the tarp on the ground stay tight as well. When I take my Eno out it gives me somewhere to hang my headlamp and anything else I might want to keep close at hand. I just use Prusik knots on both ends and it is super fast to set up and get tight.

Hammock
    DIY "WARBIRD"
    Tarp
    OES STD,WB BMJ
    Insulation
    Golite TQ/leigh UQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIES
    QUOTE=Buffalo Skipper;323840]

Will adding a ridgeline (under the tarp) this keep the diagonal more straight, if a ridgeline of non-stretch line is used? And if so, will the lack of "draw down" make the rest of the tarp loose?[/QUOTE]

I find with my noah's 12 if I pitch it with a very tight ridge line under the tarp and not allow it to sag some that the diagonal edges don't tend to tighten up and stay a little bit floppy. I have in the past when I couldn't get rid of the floppy sides I clipped the tarp loops together creating a bit of a beak and that tightened the tarp edges.

Last edited by myles to go; 09-29-2010 at 08:41.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by dontknowyet View Post
    ...Noah's Tarp 12' with 550 cord as my ridgeline...

...I just use Prusik knots on both ends and it is super fast to set up and get tight.
    I am looking toward this but with loops on the ends (plus a trucker hitch or four) add 2 Prusiks in between and 4 (small) carabiners to string the whole thing. That way I can run the ridge line above or below depending on my mood during that set up. I should say here that it will be used from a motorcycle or cage (car) and weight is not the big issue.

So over or under the ridgeline...anyone done both with a 12X12 and what worked best for you?

• + New Posts