Hammock
    ENO, HH ULB, WBBB, GT
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    AHELR,Agnes,WInCub
    Suspension
    Cinch,Tglides,Whoo

Heels Over Heads: But I Can't Sleep> Any Tips?

I have slept in my variety of hammocks lately (Hen, Warbonnet, ENO, GTs) both indoors and out—I’m new to this hobby. It has taken me some time to come to the conclusion that I may be sleeping poorly/uncomfortably in the hammock because my head is slightly lower than my feet when in it. Although fine initially, it bothers me as the night progresses, and as a side sleeper, it's very hard to adjust position when my feet are higher than head.

I have read on here many times that most prefer feet higher than head. Are there others that prefer head over feet, or is it just me? Any tips on getting head higher than feet? I see that, if the suspension straps are the same length, given that the upper body is heavier than the feet, the hammock will tilt headward. So, I suppose the “fix” is to have the head strap shorter, or the head strap higher on the tree.

Any other tips or observations about head over feet would be appreciated.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    How much higher are you hanging your feet? I like mine about 1-2 inches of difference from one end of the hammock to the other. It only takes a little to keep you from sliding. You may also want to try a small pillow if you aren't already. It makes a big comfort difference to me. And try different sized ones, to small seems useless and to big makes things miserable for me. But when I found the "Just Right" one I was set, not even a warm bowl of porage or a angry bear will get me to wake up.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkayaker1 View Post
    I have slept in my variety of hammocks lately (Hen, Warbonnet, ENO, GTs) both indoors and out—I’m new to this hobby. It has taken me some time to come to the conclusion that I may be sleeping poorly/uncomfortably in the hammock because my head is slightly lower than my feet when in it. Although fine initially, it bothers me as the night progresses, and as a side sleeper, it's very hard to adjust position when my feet are higher than head.

I have read on here many times that most prefer feet higher than head. Are there others that prefer head over feet, or is it just me? Any tips on getting head higher than feet? I see that, if the suspension straps are the same length, given that the upper body is heavier than the feet, the hammock will tilt headward. So, I suppose the “fix” is to have the head strap shorter, or the head strap higher on the tree.

If your straps are the same length and the hammock is pitched equidistant...and level...you'll wind up with your center of mass in the center of the hammock and feet/legs will be pushing toward the foot end of the hammock. In other words, the laws of gravity still apply!

Even if you pitch your head higher, you will still slip-n-slide over time with your center of mass seeking the low point in the hammock. With the head-higher pitch, that low point will be even further toward the foot end.

One of the keys to comfort in a hammock is having "enough" sag to enable a flatter diagonal lay when you're in the hammock. This applies whether you are a back sleeper, side sleeper or something in-between. I don't know whether you've got this dialed in for yourself or not (no pictures!!). It's also my understanding that serious side sleepers have been known to find bridge style hammocks to work better for them. I don't have enough first-hand experience with a bridge to make a good comment, though the two nights I slept in one showed me that it is flat, flat enough to mandate some pillow or head support for comfort.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    Hanging...
    Tarp
    Up...
    Insulation
    Down...
    Suspension
    Tight at 30'
    Images
    I hang my hammocks foot end about 5-6 inches above my head end( hang your foot end suspension higher(check out the setup video on warbonnetoutdoors.com)) . That keeps me centered all night. I also like to sleep on my(semi side) i actually find this easyer in my hammock(well i only sleep in hammocks so maybe i´m biased) than in a bed.... YMMV though

/Bomber

@2.ooohhh, FIXED, thanks. i got to remeber to use my head
    Last edited by Bomber; 09-23-2010 at 03:16. Reason: wrong link
    /Bomber.LTD
    Member of the infamous "Hyperborean Hang Gang"
    ]
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    -Thomas Edison
    "If there is anything bigger than my ego in here, i want it dragged outside and shot"!!!
    -Zap Brannigan

To much time on your hands? Waste some time here

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    BWDD WD
    Insulation
    KAQ TQ/DIY KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    AHE CB/WEBBING
    Well coming from a stomach sleeper that is also new to hammocking, I can relate to "how did I end up down here" and finding just the right spot to lay. I tend to start at the top slightly on the diagonal and work my way down to the sag area on my side by morning or with my legs crossed indian style. I understand having your feet slightly over head. But I find that it can be a little of an adjustment to get used to. My first overnighter in my hammock, I slept until noon! Being an insomniac this was quite a feat!! I wish that I had paid attention to how I had it hung so I could do it again!....Keep at it and try different things....You will find your sweet spot

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Ultralight
    Tarp
    Moss Parawing
    Insulation
    REI Sub-Kilo
    Suspension
    webbing 'n 'biners
    Quote Originally Posted by Bomber View Post
    I hang my hammocks foot end about 5-6 inches above my head end( hang your foot end suspension higher(check out the setup video on www.warbonnet.com)) . That keeps me centered all night. I also like to sleep on my(semi side) i actually find this easyer in my hammock(well i only sleep in hammocks so maybe i´m biased) than in a bed.... YMMV though

/Bomber
    I think you might be thinking of http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/ as the link you gave is pictures of trains?
    “Rivets are the new duct tape.”

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkayaker1 View Post

I guess what is important is: at what point do you start sliding towards the foot? And if you are not sliding towards the foot, there is no reason to raise the foot. The directions I got with my original HH said nothing of raising the foot end, instead it said equidistant between the trees and LEVEL hang. But when I 1st tried doing that, I ended up near the foot end of the hammock. So, I started raising the foot and was more comfy. The amount I must raise the foot varies with the hammock and how well centered I am between the trees. But it is all what works for you in a particular hammock. Hand closer to level and see at what point you start sliding down.

With my JRB BMBH, I actually have to hang the head ~6" higher!

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Many have echoed my experiences

with both a Hennessey and Clark. With the HH, having the foot end too low places my butt too close to the entry slit. Not uncomfortable, but not good for the stress on the slit. With the Clark, sliding to the foot end results in an uncomfortable lie.

I think Beep summed it up best with his description of gravity always winning.

And dang, when one tree is downhill from the other it is difficult to judge "level" and "slightly elevated". And I take pride in my transit-equipped brain!

Jim

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    MacCat/Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Go Lite/3S Incu
    I understand your frustration. A few years back I set up a tent on a very slight incline. Almost unnoticeable. I slept with my head on the down hill side. When I woke in the morning I was very dizzy and felt drunk. In the hammock I think the key is to be as flat as possible but even if your feet are slightly above your head your mass will still be low keeping the blood out of your head. What the solution is for you I don't know. Just experiment. Try small lines of silicone on your back. This should keep you from sliding down.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ulyssesjones View Post
    Try small lines of silicone on your back. This should keep you from sliding down.

I hate sleeping with elevated feet, too. i actually prefer absolutely level or even a teeny bit lower at the head--somehow with the WBBB footbox I don't slide anywhere and it just feels more secure. But I'm still a newb--my experience is limited...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast