Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Images
    I ordered two of these "blankets" - they only cost $10 each but they charge $10 each for shipping from Texas to Buffalo - which I thought is a little unreasonable.

http://www.radiantbarrier.com/temptrol.htm

But I bought them anyway to try it I the hammocks. Supposedly they work like a space blanket but havie "microscopic" perferations for breathability and are "washable". They are trying to promote the material as usable for making clothing. If it doesn't work in the hammock or as a plain warming blanket on my bed, maybe I'll make a tuxedo out of it.
    Last edited by nogods; 11-08-2007 at 12:36.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    I bought one from Backpacking Light. Haven't tried it yet. I am assuming one is enough for underneath. Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    I ordered two of these "blankets" - they only cost $10 each but they charge $10 each for shipping from Texas to Buffalo - which I thought is a little unreasonable.

http://www.radiantbarrier.com/temptrol.htm

But I bought them anyway to try it I the hammocks. Supposedly they work like a space blanket but havie "microscopic" perferations for breathability and are "washable". They are trying to promote the material as usable for making clothing. If it doesn't work in the hammock or as a plain warming blanket on my bed, maybe I'll make a tuxedo out of it.

Yea at that cost you could my a tuxedo out of it although evertime I have been in one of those a was so blasted hot not sure I would want one.

But this might be the ticket to the pooling effect I had. Let me know how it goes

Images
    Cavediver,

Your pooling was because you put it on the cold side of the insulation. A space blanket needs to be on the WARM side. This will be most effective for heat retention AND limit condensation.
    So many projects, So little time....

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mataharihiker View Post
    I went out for an over-nighter along the St Croix River in Wisconsin...just a walk-in campsite but I was alone so it was lovely...temps got down below freezing. There was a little drizzle just as I went to bed and a little snow just as I got up...frost on the tarp. I, unfortunately, went to bed dehydrated and woke up at 2am with frozen feet. I used a full length Exped Downmat 7, GoLite Fur quilt..maybe rated at 32F...I don't remember....I slept in silk longjohns and Montbell down pants and vest with extra clothing stuffed in the pockets...I sleep cold, only weigh 110, have pneumonia all the time due to past health issues so try to not get cold...didn't work but it wasn't the fault of the Clark...

I love that hammock! I disconnected the tarp from the hammock and added lines to the foot end of the tarp. I had 3 lines running to the tree...one for the tarp, one for the netting and one for the hammock body...this gave me what I wanted...the tarp was well above the netting, the netting (I used the supplied bungee cords...added separate lines to each to attach them to their respective tree) well above the body and the body a comfortable sitting distance from the ground.

I tied one side of the tarp closer to the ground to block the wind and used sticks to create a nice porch on the other side like I always do...no problems finding sticks on the ground in the Great Northwoods. I tied the foot ends of the tarp out using reflective lines so it was easy to find in the dark.

I closed up the Weathershield around 3am and that really worked well against the cold...it was 10 degrees warmer in the hammock than it was outside according to my thermometer...I left it open a tad to vent...

I added a mesh pocket on elastic lines to an inside ridgeline...this worked very nicely to hold my glasses and gave me something to attach my ever-present water bottle (I have no saliva glands so much always have water with me)..

This was my first night in the Clark so I expect to fine tune things as I go but I must say the Clark more than met my expectations...

Pictures are on Webshots:
    http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/561328750gZWcWO
    great hammock pics thanks neo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    awsome pics mataharihiker, it brings a lot of memories....
    i do miss the midwest so much.....
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    mataharihiker, your photos and review helped answer the questions I was curious about with the Clark. THANKS !

Perkolady

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    great hammock pics thanks neo
    Neo!!!!!!! Did you used to have a Clark? Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Images
    Hey, thanks much for posting the pictures and doing the write-up. I'm waiting on some friends to bring my first Clark Camo Tropical to me when they come down next month. Mexico is not known for it' shipping services, not to mention the high import taxes, so I opted to have it hand delivered. Your photos show me more detail and design of the hammock than I can find elsewhere, even on the Clark web site. Sorry to hear you got cold feet. I suggest you get a small plastic trash bag and stick your feet it in when the temp drops too much. It can add 15 degrees to your lower body temperature. Moisture build up won't be a problem in the bag if you keep a top corner lifted just a bit. Best to you, JungleTrekker
    1Ch 16:33 Then the trees of the woods shall rejoice before the LORD, For He is coming to judge the earth

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    welcome to HF JungleTrekker. and thanks for writing the new article.
    your web site looks great! i'll check it out better later. ..tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast