Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Images
    you have to keep in mind, that a double layer hammock isn't even necessairly stronger than a single, if you put a thick air pad between the layers, all your weight goes onto the outer layer, some people use air mats between the layers and some don't, but the rating needs to account for things like that as well.

also, there are alot of varations in 30d ripstop, some are signifigantly stronger than others, but they're all generically referred to as 1.1 ripstop even though the breaking strength will vary

Hammock
    11' gathered end
    Tarp
    Hex 11' DIY
    Insulation
    Revolt/Enigma
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    makes a lot of sense. I have some samples on the way that i can test to compare strengths before choosing a production fabric.

-Tim

Hammock
    11' gathered end
    Tarp
    Hex 11' DIY
    Insulation
    Revolt/Enigma
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    So late report back. I have had over 350# (me and my 3yr old) in a single layer 1.9 and there is some stretch but not to much, just the right amount if you ask me, conforms perfect to the low back and i sleep like a baby. To destroy the 1.9 will take some work and i really don't see any point as 350# is a lot in a single and i'm sure i won't be selling single 1.9 rated over 275# so i don't see the need to test past 350#

I have a 1.9+1.3 hammock coming next hoping to get a couple guys in it to be sure of load ability

-Tim

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    I am very curious about these weight limits with fabrics. Take the nano 7 with a weight limit of 300#, the eno 400#, and the 1.1 single layer warbonnet at 185#. Seems like a major difference and the fabrics are all 1.1 I thought. I've been wondering this for awhile because I've been considering getting the nano for a ultralight set up but I would hate buying it and finding out I dislike it due to comfort. So I've thought about getting a traveler or maybe blackbird would be worth the comfort for additional ounces but with the 140# max flatness rating and coming in at 180# I'm afraid I'd be pushing the comfort. My typical weight is 150-160# so if I can lose some it may help but don't wanna risk it.

Why are the rating so different with what seems to be simlar fabric? Why isn't the warbonnet 1.1 300# too?

Hammock
    11' gathered end
    Tarp
    Hex 11' DIY
    Insulation
    Revolt/Enigma
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    In my post above my 300# tore it up on some 1.1 so if those other hammocks are using 1.1 it is some uber stuff, my guess is they use 1.9, and maybe 2 layers. I am not familiar with many off the shelf hammocks.

-Tim

Images
    the max-flatness rating refers to the stretch, you can expect ANY 1.1 fabric to stretch similarly regardless of the manufactuer weight rating

Images
    not that the fabric stretches out, but just that it stretches under weight. it will go back once the weight is removed. if you want the fabric to stretch very little (so you can be flatter), go with more strength, if the stretch doesn't bother you, go with a lighter weight fabric.

i'd also recommend not putting your hand down and putting most of your bodyweight on it, it's totally possible to get in and out without doing that

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    Thanks for clearing some of that up for me guys. I think I may be better off with the 1.7 or one of the double layers. Warrbonetguy, how do you think the stretch would be on the 1.0 double layer for an 180lber?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thexuprising View Post
    Thanks for clearing some of that up for me guys. I think I may be better off with the 1.7 or one of the double layers. Warrbonetguy, how do you think the stretch would be on the 1.0 double layer for an 180lber?
    you'd be fine in the dl1.0 or dl1.1

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    Thanks warbonnetguy. Less question ill have to ask when the time comes to order from you, haha. Hopefully by beginning of summer.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234