DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Dblcorona View Post
    And that's what I'm talking about. I have been using a single layer 1.9 for awhile now (as I'm sure alot of people are) a double layer of 1.0, if hung right should be pretty strong. A double layer of 1.7 seems like way overkill. Especially when have ENO styles rating out at 400lbs.
    WBG uses pretty good ripstop for his hammocks so i think that has alot to do with it
    like i said i think you should be ok....but i wouldn't jump around in it
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Hennessy Asym Cape
    Insulation
    Wal-Mart pad
    Suspension
    Tree huggers
    Images

It's a little more complicated than that

Quote Originally Posted by creativeKayt View Post
    Often manufacturers will test out limits and tolerances, but communicate safe tolerances that are far less than they've proven out. It comes down to an "acceptable risk" of avoiding lawsuits (meaning money paid out or lost if sued) ...
    For starters, if I was a manufacturer, I wouldn't want anyone to get hurt simply because I don't want to hurt anybody. Not all manufacturers are solely business so to screw people out of their money.

That said, if you tested a hammock to failure and it failed at say 400 lb, would you tell people the maximum safe limit was 399.9lb? I wouldn't.
    There are variations in manufacturing to consider as well as aging and environmental concerns not to mention the added stresses when someone plops down on the hammock, an event that might easily exert forces double their weight.

A good criteria for safety is to rate the product so it won't fail unless there is obvious damage that would alert any reasonable person to the fact that the product is unsafe. As far as I can tell, that's what WB and HH have done.

Regarding the safety of a particular fabric; you can't just consider the fabric. you have to look at the construction of the hammock. Stress points and the amount of fabric used all figure in. A hyperbolic example would be a strip of nylon 1 inch wide used as a hammock. It would break under much less stress than a sheet several feet wide.
    Last edited by JumpingJack; 09-24-2010 at 13:30. Reason: clarity

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle
    Tarp
    3x4m & 6x8m silnyl
    Insulation
    An hotel suite
    Suspension
    Gripper Drippers
    Images

It's a "Hands Down" thing ...

When getting in and out of a hammock it is often necessary to grab the sides and shift your body around. In these maneuvers you place half or more of your body weight on one hand. That is considerably more stress than the mythical concept of evenly distributed body weight.
    "Trifles make perfection, and perfection is no trifle."
    -- Michaelangelo

Hammock
    11' gathered end
    Tarp
    Hex 11' DIY
    Insulation
    Revolt/Enigma
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    i agree that you don't want to risk using a fabric that is too light (or a single layer when you need a double) but it is good to know what realistic usage could be. I've heard reports of over 400# in a single layer 1.1 without failure. That doesn't mean that the 1.1 will hold 400# comfortably (max stretch for sure) or that it won't fail under dynamic loading-bouncing, plopping down on the hammock, abrupt re-positioning...

I plan to test out a single layer 1.1 i made for a friend (with the promise of replacing it if needed) and i am 300#. I have sat in the hammock but i want to see if i can break it. I want to see if i can bounce it, centrally load it, or even what it will take to shred under me.

I think this might give a better idea of what can hold a larger fella under normal conditions.

I am pretty sure this material will stretch badly so even if the single layer holds fine it probably isn't a viable option for long term use, maybe a night or two if you really needed, we'll see what happens.

-Tim

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Sleeping BearTQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    i agree that you don't want to risk using a fabric that is too light (or a single layer when you need a double) but it is good to know what realistic usage could be.
    That was kinda my point in this whole thing. I actually got to thinking about this after the test if the BB i have and the thread you had in BPL, so I'm glad you popped into this one.
    "We don't stop hiking because we grow old,
    we grow old because we stop hiking."

-- Finis Mitchell,

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshLaw303 View Post
    i agree that you don't want to risk using a fabric that is too light (or a single layer when you need a double) but it is good to know what realistic usage could be. I've heard reports of over 400# in a single layer 1.1 without failure. That doesn't mean that the 1.1 will hold 400# comfortably (max stretch for sure) or that it won't fail under dynamic loading-bouncing, plopping down on the hammock, abrupt re-positioning...

I plan to test out a single layer 1.1 i made for a friend (with the promise of replacing it if needed) and i am 300#. I have sat in the hammock but i want to see if i can break it. I want to see if i can bounce it, centrally load it, or even what it will take to shred under me.

I think this might give a better idea of what can hold a larger fella under normal conditions.

I am pretty sure this material will stretch badly so even if the single layer holds fine it probably isn't a viable option for long term use, maybe a night or two if you really needed, we'll see what happens.

-Tim
    i agree tim ....it may hold you now...but who's to say 3 weeks from now after a few nights in it

if i was him...i Deff would NOT jump in it or move to much
    at his weight he should get a Dbl 1.7 like i said befor ...this way he knows he will not end up on the ground in the middle of the night

Hammock
    11' gathered end
    Tarp
    Hex 11' DIY
    Insulation
    Revolt/Enigma
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    i am not sure i am saying that he should use a dbl 1.7. I am saying it is important to know the limits of your gear. If the results of my tests show that it is hard to destroy the SL1.1 then there should be no reason not to use a DL1.1 for guys our size(yeah i'm fatter) I am not sure what i will discover, but i am sure it will be fun!

-Tim

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshLaw303 View Post
    i am not sure i am saying that he should use a dbl 1.7. I am saying it is important to know the limits of your gear. If the results of my tests show that it is hard to destroy the SL1.1 then there should be no reason not to use a DL1.1 for guys our size(yeah i'm fatter) I am not sure what i will discover, but i am sure it will be fun!

-Tim
    pics or it never happend LOL

let us know what you find out ...

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.7dbl,Dangerbird 65
    Tarp
    Speer WinterTarp
    Insulation
    UGQ,JRB,MM
    Suspension
    WB, Whoopie Slings
    Could another factor involved here be active sleepers and the increased stress placed on the hammock while tossing and turning. I have a double hammock basically the same as an ENO Double and it is fine if I'm laying still but when I start tossing the thing seems to creak and grone...I'm worried I'm going to end up face first in the dirt!

BTW I'm 240-250lbs.

Hammock
    HH Ultralight Backpacker
    Insulation
    Nest & Sniveller
    Suspension
    Whoopies & E trunk

Ultralite possibilities

I am curious what the possibilities of hammocks getting lighter. Now w/ lighter materials coming out. I am not famiar w/ cubeb fiber but is it possible that it might be used for hammocks? I am happy w/ my hh ul backerpacker but wonder when the next gen of hammocks will come.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast