Thread: question

question

I am new to here so thanks for all who have helped thus far. I am looking at buying my first hammock. I was intially interested in the vietnam/,military style hammock. I like them because it looks like I could lay flatter in one(true or untrue?) I prefer to sleep on my stomach I guess. Im not against trying a "traditional" style like most on here seem to use. There seems to be a bunch for sale old army navy models and also new styles. Do these things work well or are they a pain? Overall pack weight is not one of my major concerns as I will be using this for hunting/fishing trips. I would like to buy something and like most find ways to improve on one while making my ow DIY hammock. Thanks again just looking for the pros and cons.-Bhebby

Hammock
    DIY Camo Cocoon
    Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Although I have not used one, from your description it sounds like a bridge hammock will best fit your needs. I don't think the old GI style jungle hammock is what you want. The ones I have seen were not nearly as stable as the more modern hammocks available today. Good luck.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    bhebby, Since you are a stomach sleeper looking for a flat lay in a hammock. I would advise checking out the JRB Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. Or consider a DIY bridge hammock using the fine tutorials that are available here. While the Vietnam/,military style hammocks may look appealing to you. I think that you will find that they are not very satisfactory in the long run. Also with proper rigging / tweaking many other hammocks can be made to have a pretty flat lay and may also serve your needs.
    Terry

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    +1 for the bridge style.

In a bed, I like sleeping on my stomach. But I also move a lot as sides of my body get sore, etc, and I'm switching from side to side. I don't know if you've tried a brazzilian style hammock before, but when I first tried, I slept like a baby all night on my back I've never been able to do that before in a regular bed. I find that the hammock takes the pressure points away and makes sleeping on my back the preferred way to go.

YMMV

thanks

I think Im going to just suck it up and try the style that most are using, I can always make the change if I dont like it. Thanks for the info and talking me off the ledge on the jungle hammock.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    The mil. style hammocks are smaller in size, and normally heavier in weight than whats typically seen on HF. The mil. style does not pack down as well, either.
    Comfort is also an issue, due to the short design.

So, if you want a short, heavy, uncomfortable hammock, the military style is for you.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The hammocks most of us use here will let you lay flatter than a military style hammock. I'd try one out b/c they're pretty cheap. Be sure to lay diagonally in it so you're not shaped like a banana.

If that doesn't work, go for the bridge style. You lay very flat head-to-toe, so it may be just what you're looking for.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts