Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    JRB 10X11, MacCat
    Insulation
    Snugfit, 2 JRBs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddleback View Post
    Bouncing around the 'net tonight I found what looks like an exact match for this (pics at post #22) for $8.97 @ http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...TSB&lpage=none . What I haven't found are any specs on this thermometer.

As luck would have it it's out of stock at my local Lowes.

FB
    Just bought one of these at my local Lowes.

Quote Originally Posted by qpens View Post
    Just bought one of these at my local Lowes.
    Any specs on its temperature range, how low, how high...? Overall impressions?

FB

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle Zip XL
    Tarp
    MacCat deluxe
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    I was suprised to find this thread on hammock forum because I have been looking for a minimum registering pocket thermometer myself. They used to sell these things at campmor but I can't find it anymore and it doesn't sound like anyone else has found one either. This was a small thermometer in a case, about the size of a pen. It read the current temp and then always recorded the minimum temp from the last time it was reset. It weighed almost nothing and needed know batteries. But alas I can't find one anywhere anymore (only large ones like for outside your window or something). Here's a link explaining the principle: http://www.atmos.ucla.edu/as3/scrns/...re/Note08.html
    If anyone knows where you can but one of these, please let me know.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Hennessey hex
    Insulation
    RW quilt, GG pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings.
    Images
    Check these out:

http://www.tempgun.com/main.html

I have the smallest, which weighs just 20g and costs $15. You can measure the temperature of a specific area by pointing it at a spot and holding it less than an inch away, or you can measure the ambient temperature just by taking a reading while holding it aloft.

Images
    the coghlans dig from rei records min and max, just takes a long time to regester an accurate temp when going from warm to cold (like half an hour), and the alarm clock is not loud enough to wake you and there's no light. it's pretty light weight though. you might check your local rei, mine had another one that wasn't online, it was 50$, was small, backlight, dig compass, alarm clock, i cant remember if it registered min and max, but it had many more features that i cannot recall. i bought the cheaper coglahans b/c of the drastic price diference. you get what you pay for i guess.

that bimetal mechanical thermometer is exactly what i need. i was thinking about getting the glass pen shaped one from the rei website, but didn't realize they might be available somewhere with min and max, did you do a google search?

the problem with most of the mechanical ones is that it only has 5* increments, so it's hard to get an accurate temp reading.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle Zip XL
    Tarp
    MacCat deluxe
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    thats what I'm trying to say, in this case analog is better than the elecronic stuff. If you could find the old min/max analog red alcohol minimum registering thermometer that I used to have you could save weight and assure an accurate reading with no batteries etc.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by greggg3 View Post
    thats what I'm trying to say, in this case analog is better than the elecronic stuff. If you could find the old min/max analog red alcohol minimum registering thermometer that I used to have you could save weight and assure an accurate reading with no batteries etc.
    i used to have one of those (until i broke it).
    you held it up so that the little bar inside sank against the end of the mercury (or what ever), then laid it on it's side.

as the mercury dropped to it's lowest point, it slid the bar w/ it. then when the mercury would rise, the bar stayed at the lowest temp.
    worked great as long as i didn't get careless & bump it in the morn before seeing where the bar was<g>.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle Zip XL
    Tarp
    MacCat deluxe
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    thats the one slowhike! I wish I could find them again but I've searched the net with no luck

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by greggg3 View Post
    thats the one slowhike! I wish I could find them again but I've searched the net with no luck
    i was looking a while back too, but had no luck.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Me too. Mine rolled out my gear cabinet, hit the floor and broke. Haven't been able to find a similar (or acceptable) replacement which is why I'm always in these 'thermometer' threads.

As for mercury-based thermometers...I don't know if they're easily available anymore...

FB

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast