Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Thermometer

Hammock
    HH
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Homemade Quilts
    I have original National Weather Service min and max thermometers. Long tubes of glass with mercury. The NWS does not use them anymore. Too fragile and requires a hazmat cleanup if broken. Excellent thermometers though...

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I use the Brunton ADC Wind that slowhike has. The 24 hour record is recorded on the hour. The min temp often reads lower than the lowest temp in the record, so I think you'll get the lowest temp no matter what time it occurs.

I'm not confident the windspeed is accurate, though...especially when it's flopping around below my hammock support!

Lowest temp I've had this gear is 14F at Mt Rogers in Jan...not sure what the min operating temp is but I bet it's on one of the websites.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Thanks, Just Jeff! A true mini-max function is my first priority so that's good news about your experience witht the Brunton.

It's frustrating to not find the 'official' temp ranges of the various Brunton models. I've gone through the manual and Brunton's web site and have had no luck. However, a Google search took me to forestry-suppliers.com where they listed the temp range for the ADC Wind, Summit, and Pocket Weather Station models all as -13F - 140F (-25C - 60C). After an half-hour of bouncing around the 'net, that was the only site I found with such specs...I have no idea where they came from. But -13F is good enough for me...I've only camped a couple times below that and don't plan anything like that soon. My outside remote bottomed out at -40F a year or two ago but I was reading that from indoors.

I wonder if I can be cheap and lucky on EBay...

FB

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0
    Tarp
    Zpack's H. Tarp
    Insulation
    Summer Crowsnest
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by rpettit View Post
    i just bought this a few months ago:http://www.rei.com/product/745064
    Does anyone have any updates on digital thermometers that record min/max (like the one in rpettit's post)? The reviews on REI's site aren't too complimentary.

Images
    i've got one from rei, don't know about the better ones, but my digital (coghlan's?) seems to have the sensor internally, so it's somewhat insulated from the cold and takes a long time to actually adjust to the air temp, like you might actually be reading the temp from an hour ago. i think some of the nicer ones have it on the outside though. i keep meaning to get a kestrel.

Quote Originally Posted by amac View Post
    Does anyone have any updates on digital thermometers that record min/max (like the one in rpettit's post)? The reviews on REI's site aren't too complimentary.
    I wasn't impressed with the Coghlans. Mine (three or more years old, now) did not read the immediate temp...it 'updated' every couple minutes or so. It's accuracy, measured against a higher quality/more expensive digital was so-so, and the weather seal failed after a long-term test. Not the easiest interface, either. Still, it's cheap.

But not what I'm looking for...

FB

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456