Tarp
    OES Mct, WB Sprfly
    Insulation
    leighlo,HG burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/straps

Whoopie to HH ASY UL PKR

Can someone help me out?

I've recently decided to switch my suspension from the stock cord to whoopie slings and after I had taken off the covers of the whipping ends I found this hennessy version only has one molten hole in the material for the whipping of the whoopie.

I noticed that if I whip the end with my fixed-eye loop end, the adjustment leg of the whoopie will be buried under the nylon cover.... so I used a larks head through the hole and through the rideline. I slept in it last night and it held fine but I am not sure if this is a safe long term method since most of the tension seems to be on the material through the molten hole.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Hennessy Asym Cape
    Insulation
    Wal-Mart pad
    Suspension
    Tree huggers
    Images
    I'm a little surprised that you only found one hole. I checked mine and there are two. So, I would check with Hennessy first to see if it's a manufacturing defect.

If I understand you correctly, I think you're correct that you are stressing the material if the only support is a line through the hole because you're only using part of the end material to support the load. Did you undo the fixed eye loop? If not, you'll pick up more than enough rope to whip it properly.

Otherwise, you said the adjustment leg is buried under the nylon cover. Could you bring it out the other end of the cover or isn't there enough rope?

As a last resort, buy some more Amsteel and follow the instructions at the manufacturer's website to splice in an extension on the support line.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1, HH Bkpkr Ult Asym , GT
    Tarp
    OES Mct, WB Sprfly
    Insulation
    leighlo,HG burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/straps

Ok... above is a picture of the fixed eye loop double whipped...

Below is a picture of the adjustment leg outside of cover.

I think that once the whip tightens up from a couple of hangs the adjustable leg will be even more exposed.

Do you think this looks like a safe amount of whipping?

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Whoopies-n-Huggers
    Ditto on the one hole. I know there is a thread that someone posted showing a jig they made out of 2x4's that they clamped to the end of the hammock to burn holes in the fabric without destroying the hammock. Would looping the sling the opposite direction so the brummel goes back over the top of the wraps do any better? (hard to explain)..That may apply more pressure to the wraps so they cannot slip off. I'll look around and see if I can find the video for that jig.

It shouldn't be too hard to move your bury(adjustable) so it's farther away from the end of your hammock. My apologies if I'm confusing. I'm having an off day and my wordsmithing skills are on the back burner.
    Last edited by Silverlion; 09-24-2010 at 15:41.
    We must all learn to live together as brothers--or we will all perish together as fools. MLK

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Hennessy Asym Cape
    Insulation
    Wal-Mart pad
    Suspension
    Tree huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nojack View Post
    Do you think this looks like a safe amount of whipping?
    You're breaking new ground here as far as I know. All I can recommend is you hang close to the ground while you evaluate the adequacy of only two turns, and check it frequently after that. By the way, why not just make a longer sling?

Hammock
    HH UL Bckpker -2QZQ mod 4
    Tarp
    Spinn Mambajamba
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.W & No Sniv
    Suspension
    DC's & Whoopies
    Sorry I didn't see your post sooner, seroiusly it looks fine to me espically if that's how it held before... Try it, but I would be contacting hennessy to see what happened or why that is the way it is.

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES Mct, WB Sprfly
    Insulation
    leighlo,HG burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    Sorry I didn't see your post sooner, seroiusly it looks fine to me espically if that's how it held before... Try it, but I would be contacting hennessy to see what happened or why that is the way it is.
    Thanks for your input, as well as the others. I will try to contact via email, but I would bet it isn't a defect... although no one else has ever seen one hole.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Hennessy Asym Cape
    Insulation
    Wal-Mart pad
    Suspension
    Tree huggers
    Images

did you tell Whoopie ...

that you had a Hennessy when you ordered your sling(s). They ask you to do that. I think its because they need to make the sling a little longer for whipping the hammock.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Winter Dream Vs. 2
    Insulation
    Yeti 3 Season
    Suspension
    Whoopie w/ Biner
    Images
    Just got your message,

I did the same thing, There really isnt a large amount of the whoopie that I lashed to the hammock. Looks almost identical to yours. My fixed eye end was just longer.. I think It will work fine for you.. just a little hassle if you were going to attach a under quilt to the line.. I would not fasten the sheath towards the end of the bury so that you can pull it back when attaching your underquilt.

"dirt"
    “Our ordinary mind always tries to persuade us that we are nothing but acorns and that our greatest happiness will be to become bigger, fatter, shinier acorns; but that is of interest only to pigs. Our faith gives us knowledge of something better: that we can become oak trees.”

E. F. Schumacher

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES Mct, WB Sprfly
    Insulation
    leighlo,HG burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Pak-Man View Post
    Just got your message,

I did the same thing, There really isnt a large amount of the whoopie that I lashed to the hammock. Looks almost identical to yours. My fixed eye end was just longer.. I think It will work fine for you.. just a little hassle if you were going to attach a under quilt to the line.. I would not fasten the sheath towards the end of the bury so that you can pull it back when attaching your underquilt.

"dirt"
    I will post some new pictures. After the whip tightened up, I had ample room to make adjustments of the whoopie. I was really looking for some reassurance of the amount of whipping.

Do you happen to have any pics of your mod?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast