Danger Bird
    Tarp
    Varies with season
    Insulation
    UGQ Everything
    Suspension
    Webbing Suspension

Thumbs up Corrected hang=better sleep

Ok, so I rigged up some hang points in my garage (since I figure that is most of my R & D will come from.) I have the "hangers" at 15 and 13 feet apart(for various hang positions/scenarios) and 8 feet up (ya a little high I know but that is all I had to anchor too.) Any way I dug out my angle gauge-o-meter from the welding cabinet and proceed to properly hang my hammock. But only after watching the WB videos like another 6 times. I managed to get a 55 degree hang on each end and the hammock at chair level. According to the video 30 -70 degrees is ideal. I then tested my RL (the proper way) and voila it was dead perfect.

I took about an hour nap and had no foot issue as previously mentioned. And I was quite comfy...not perfect, but comfy non the less. So after my nap I then tried to play with the different variances. I put the foot higher then the head (as mentioned in the vid) and that really did not work for me. It ended up hurting my feet again...unless I just ad it too high. So then I re-adjusted everything again (all along using the angle gauge on the webbing as a guide) and got things to where I thought the should be. And slid in again. And was very comfy for the next 45 mins or so that I was in it.

The next day I went back out to the garage, and this time took my GG thin lite pad and my poncho liner and took another nap. I hadn't messed with anything from the previous day so it was all the same. After some sliding up, down and around I found that "sweet" spot everyone talks about. I fell fast asleep and was actually pissed when the timer went off for me to get up and finish my day.

It's nice to have something in my garage to be able to play with. Just from the couple of times I messed around I was better able to see what a good angle is, proper RL, and how if I pull on this, like this, it does this, or if I let out here, and pull there, it does this. So I am now able to get information in the old noggin so that I can start getting the "techno tard" in me satisfied.

The only thing that I can see as a minor deal now, is that the hammock is directional. As in I may not be able to hang it looking out at the view I want to fall asleep/wake up to. Do to its dictative zipper/shelf/foot box configuration. But that is minuscule in comparison. To the problems already alleviated.

I is now a happy hanger
    I miss my 4.8Lb base weight as a ground dweller...But I sure DON'T MISS the ground.

Hammock
    warbonnet blackbird
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    3 season yeti
    Suspension
    straps/whoopie sli
    I am glad you are getting the "hang" of it. How you hang the hammock really does make a big difference in how you sleep/ and most of all how you wake up, weather you are sore or ready to hit the trail running.
    hope all works out for ya, and have fun and be safe(watch the dead tree's) they hurt

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Quite a revelation, isn't it?

For years I had been hanging my HH too low & too tight. after reading this forum I gave a higher & looser hang a try, and it was like night and day comfort-wise. And for a "heavy hanger" like me, has to be better for the hammock.

Jim

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    It is great once you get it sorted out. I had knee pain and calf pressure, and it was all because the only two trees in my yard are about 25' apart. It took a while to get the angle right, but once I did, I felt very rested and ready for work the next day.

I'm glad you sorted those issues out, and have an R&D location...I'm working on the same idea. I just need to figure out where I can safely hang without bonking my head on a table saw or swinging into a rake handle or something.

Hi guys, perhaps you could clear up a little confusion for me? Obviously this whole thread is talking about adjusting the hang of the hammock. The last 2 posts in particular mention hanging "higher & looser" and "taking a while to get the angle right."

I'm having a little difficulty understanding this

I thought that with hammocks with structural ridgelines - such as the Warbonnets & HHs being discussed, there is only 1 thing you can do to alter the 'hang' of the hammock. That is to alter the inclination of it by changing the height of the head/foot ends relative to each other?

Anything other than that can affect the angle that the suspension lines sit at, and also, the height of the hammock relative to the floor, but will have zero affect on changing the actual 'hang' or shape of the hammock.

Unless, of course, people are referring to hanging the hammock so slack that the ridgeline starts to sag even before you get in? Surely this can't be what is meant is it?

Hammock
    Amazonas Barbados.
    Tarp
    5$ stock tarp
    Insulation
    Wool poncho & bag
    Suspension
    Webbing
    It's all about the shape of the hammock. Too deep a 'U' shape and your feet will dangle over the edge, too shallow and the hammock won't support you like it should. Everyone's built differently, so it's just a matter of trial & error before you hit the sweet spot.

-Aduro
    Set fire to the night, for light is only made bright by darkness.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    JRB Universal Tarp
    Insulation
    Thermarest Regulus
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by ozziepom View Post
    Unless, of course, people are referring to hanging the hammock so slack that the ridgeline starts to sag even before you get in? Surely this can't be what is meant is it?
    Actually, from what I've read and seen, that's what you want with a Blackbird. This Shug video demonstrates it best, I think:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_XozJ9Br0k

See how much sag Wanderin' Fool had in that ridgeline before he laid down?

I've found it does make a difference, even with a structural ridgeline. The ridgeline only helps to an extent.

~Dan

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by ozziepom View Post
    that's exactly what I found that worked for me!!! I set my Blackbird up so that the ridgeline is loose and when I'm inside it, I can bend the ridgeline just a little bit. Sometimes I don't get it loose enough and when I get inside, I can't bend the ridgeline. I'm still able to sleep pretty comfortably though. For me, I've found that if the trees are further apart, I need to hang the hammock straps higher on the tree so that I can get the right sag to the hammock. The closer together trees are, the lower I put my tree straps. I just have to make sure I watch how low I'm setting up the hammock, don't want to end up actually on the ground!!

TinaLouise

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Ideally the structural ridgeline should provide a fixed amount of sag (unless you use too steep a hang angle which slackens the ridgeline). If you're uncomfortable with your ridgeline taut then you might want to consider changing the length of the ridgeline an inch or two.

Once you have a ridgeline dialed in to your personal tastes then the hammock should be comfortable over a range of ridgeline tensions from super tight to just short of slack and you won't have to worry as much about suspension angle.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    HH Exp w/ side zip
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Mod Marmot 0* down
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Great thread guys. Lots of good info for a newbie.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast