Tarp
    SG 12 x 12 camo
    Insulation
    CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Rings!
    Images

New IX UC and Sock!!

Well, my UQ arrived a little while ago. I got my sock in just a few days ago. I tried sleeping with just the uq the other night.

Well here's a little back story, when I first got it I was messing with it,adjusting it, tightening it and loosening it and all that, trying to get to foot end to seal correctly, well one time I adjusted it too tight, when I went to sit in my hammock, the uq started to tear, all my fault, everything is made very well, high quality stuff!! I had it too tight, and when I went to sit in my hammock I somehow put all my weight directly on the uq. But I was afraid it would tear further, so rather than risk it, I took it to a friend (ricegravy) and he put a stitch or 2 in it to make sure it wouldn't rip any further.

So after getting it back it was rather warm out, and work got in the way, but finally I had a chance to try it out. So without any adjusting anything at all, I just hooked it on my hammock and jumped in and hoped for the best.

Well for starters, the uq was too high in my hammock, when i was in the right position I was warm as toast, but when i would slide down, a gap would open up in the end and I would immediately feel the cold on my back.

I finally got up off my lazy back and made an adjustment and got back in. Still something wasn't right, everything was warm except my upper back. I still think it wasn't sealing up on the end, kinda hard to tell in the middle of the night all by yourself. Well about 6:30am I decided that it was going to work, I was just gonna need to make some adjustments in the daylight, with some help, while not sleepy. I checked the thermometer on the way in the house, it was only 49 degrees.

Well, my sock came in so time for round 2!! I made some adjustments on the uq, I still need another person to help me!! I put the sock on, took a guess as to what seemed right and waited for bed time!

When I got out to my hammock I realized that I had left the tarp pulled back and everything was soaking wet from very heavy dew. And though I know the sock isn't designed to be water proof, I am pleased to report that it is water resistant enough to keep everything inside safe from heavy dew!!

On my way out I checked the thermometer, 47, already this hang was starting out cooler than the last one ended. I wore the same clothing and used the same sleeping bag as a topquilt. After only a few minutes I noticed how much warmer I was on top, last time I had a balaclava on to keep my face warm, didn't need it this time, the sock kept everything within the hammock nice and warm.

But then I began to notice that my backside was cold. After some investigating I realized that the sock was very tight against my back. So I climbed out and made some adjustments. I was a little shocked by how cold it was when I threw the seep back to get out, it was at least 15 degrees warmer in the sock vs outside, nice!!

Anyways, the adjustment worked, I fell asleep shortly thereafter, I woke up several hours later cold, but my back was still toasty, I had used the same sleeping bag that I had used several days before, but I was colder this time and I didn't have enough insulation on top. But the sock and quilt worked great, I decided to head in the house after this, it was around 6 am, I checked the temp, it was 42 degrees.

I am now very confident that with everything adjusted correctly and with the right insulation on top I can get to and probably below freezing with just the sock and uq, and I still have another ix insert and many other options of things I could put inside the sock for extra insulation.
    Relax, monsters under the hammock are easily distracted by twister-playing squirrels.

Hammock
    Treklite Double
    Tarp
    SG 12 x 12 camo
    Insulation
    CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Rings!
    Images
    And for those of you who Like to say pics or it didn't happen

Relax, monsters under the hammock are easily distracted by twister-playing squirrels.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Good review of your experience ... and we believe you ... because of the pictures!

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Great report!

That SEEP looks like it's too long, but when a person gets into the hammock and spreads it out, the SEEP is pulled back over the ridgeline, and lifts off the ground.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Images
    Good report, Dameon! It is a hassle trying to adjust UQs by yourself. But if you don't have a net, you can reach around and feel around your back and shoulders to see if you have a good seal at the edges. If you have a bit of gap in your preferred position, you can adjust it so that it is pulled more towards the foot after moving the head end connection closer to the middle. If the adjustment is fine but then you slip down causing a shoulder gap, you might need to raise the hammock foot end a few inches.

But, sounds like you did pretty good overall!

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Thanks for the report. Can you take a pic of the IX gear all packed down to show how it would pack?
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Treklite Double
    Tarp
    SG 12 x 12 camo
    Insulation
    CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Rings!
    Images
    Here is a pic of the sock, the underquilt, and the insert all in a compression sack, beside my hammock, just for reference,

• + New Posts