Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bug nets, Worth their weight?

Ok, So no-see-um is pretty heavy compared to the rest of the fabrics we use in backpacking, but is it really worth it? Many times I'll just reapply bug spray before I go to bed, or take a smoke bath if there is a fire, and I'm fine for the night. One specific example, during this last summer, near a lake I slept shirtless and shoe less, laying on just a camp mat, and when I woke up I didn't have a single bug bite, even though they were out pretty heavy.

One of the ultraliters mottos is no duplicates, isn't my bug dope, and bug net, a duplicate?

Discuss

Edit: I primarily backpack in the midwest. If I end up in alaska, I'll have netting... and a rifle, to fend of the mosquitos
    Last edited by Impington; 09-26-2010 at 09:42.

Hammock
    Blackbird DL1.1 / ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    WntrYeti/Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie + Webbing
    I like it. Horseflies don't give a hoot about bug spray and their bites hurt as well as itch. I was recently on a solo trip and had tens of horseflies (the really big ones the size of a cicada) move into my camp and wanted nothing more than to pick my bones clean. After fighting a losing battle and killing about 10, I ended up getting into the hammock early and reading a book until I was sleepy enough to turn in for the night. Had I not had a bugnet, I would have packed up and left.
    oldgringo's reply to my worrying about owning extra hammocks:

How many pairs of underwear do you own? Do you refer to them as "extras", simply because you're not wearing all of them as we speak?

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    a hike or paddle in n.England,s.Florida or the coast of s.Carolina or Georgia might demonstrate the futility of chemicals though they help; its just that i haven't found one or two chemicals that stop all the possible bug combinations.
    Look at what Sgt.Rock and PoppaBear have done with bug nets--at less than two ounces who can resist?

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Depends on the person and the circumstances. If there are skeeters out there; they will find me so I use a hammock with a bug net when camping plus I treated my hammocks with permethrin. Don't like to use DEET as it can cause the hammock material to deteriorate over time.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Wow, I got some bad numbers. I can't remember where it was, but I read that no-see-um netting was a few oz per yard. Yea, that's a little wrong.

Maybe I just read it wrong. My bad <.<

Yes 2 oz is worth a bug net.

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    Eno Dry Fly
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    1&quot; Webbing
    It really just depends on the "bug conditions" of where you plan to be hiking/backpacking/sleeping. If you've never been there before, I would take it to be on the safe side. If you have been there before and there weren't any bugs, it's more of an optional item.

Personally, I like the peace-of-mind that my bug-net gives me. Not only will it keep out the bugs, but it will also will keep out any of the other creepy-crawlies. Without one, I feel more like I am "out in the open" and more susceptible to the creepy-crawlies (in my head) that are out to get me.
    “Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe.”
    -Abe Lincoln

"There is no replacement for displacement" - Unknown

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Bug nets are necessity for me. If there is even one mosquito or deer fly in 500 yard radius they will find their way to me.Check out Papasmurfs bug nets for sale here http://www.mydiygear.com/pages/for-sale/bugsock.php. You can not beat the weight. If you are not a DIY'er this is an excellent way to get good lightweight bug protection.
    Terry

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    8x10 made by me
    Insulation
    JRB winter UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    I don't believe no-see-um is what they are making the 2oz bug nets with. No see um is heavier than some options. It all depends on where you are going and what the bugs are like there. There are places where the no-see-um is probably the best option and other places where you can get away with bigger holes in the mesh. Only you can answer if bug dope is enough or if a bug net is worth the weight. Some of the bug nets out there like the one from ENO are heavy but there are many other lighter options.

FYI- When I was in Alaska I didn't have a problem with the bugs.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    My tulle BugSock using .28 oz/yd material weighs 2.28 oz. total.
    The same BugSock in .96 oz/yd noseeum weighs 7.6 oz. total.
    The lightest noseeum that I've seen is .7 oz/yd from Thru-hiker.
    http://thru-hiker.com/materials/breathable.php

Hammock
    Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing &amp; Buckles
    If there's bugs, I want one. They also hold in quite a bit of warmth in the winter too. One 2 night trip last winter I took both my Blackbird & my Traveler. Using the same insulation both nights I was warmer in the BB. I now have the WB net for my Traveler. I'm interested to see if that type of net holds warm air in like the closer net on the BB does. But a no net hammock is alot easier to make UQ adjustments too.
    It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast