ENO, HH ULB, WBBB, GT
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    AHELR,Agnes,WInCub
    Suspension
    Cinch,Tglides,Whoo

A Truly Single Line Marlin Spike Suspension

I am wondering why a strap suspension directly around the tree—perhaps with a couple wraps—cannot be used with the marlin spike hitch and one toggle, but no second “rope” toggle or other hardware.

Please see Grizz’s video at precisely 7 minutes, 55 seconds:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPpndtQKWH4

Notice that he is showing how to wrap a single rope line around the tree strap toggle and using a second toggle for the rope.

Why would one not simply have a single line permanently attached to the hammock, bring it around the tree once or twice (the line could be a rope, a la Hennessy, or a tree-saving 1” strap), back down parallel to the ascending line (to the tree), and then do precisely what Grizz did in the video with his rope toggle: put in a single marlin spike hitch. The adjustment for tension is simply to put the spike hitch at the proper spot in the rope/strap.

This would seem to have advantage of a truly single line (strap or rope) suspension—just one line from hammock, around tree, then toggle/spike hitched to proper length. Need only one toggle, or better yet, a trail stick. No descending rings, carabiners, Dutch clips, Tri-glides or second ropes (one from hammock (e.g whoopie) and another one from tree (e.g treehugger)) required. No knot tying (other than learning the marlin spike). Don’t even need a sewn loop in the rope or strap—just a free end.

I tried it tonight on a chair back, and it holds very firmly (I did not sit in a hammock) and shows no sign of slippage and is adjustable.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by coolkayaker1; 08-29-2010 at 00:11.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Score! ... have a toggle take the place of a tri-glide...

Maybe....

I had to visit the video to see just exactly you were referring to, but that came back fast. The point is that in the video a cord is brought around a toggle (but it could be a biner...just something that is an anchor) and then after running down the suspension towards the hammock a little, is "tied off" using another MS hitch.

I very much like your idea, although I am long out of the straps-as-suspension game. The open question, the one difference I see between what I did with cord and what you propose to do is that in your approach there will be an appreciable angle between the two lengths of straps coming to the join from the tree. I don't think this will be a a big deal, but intuition has failed me before.

So just make sure your life insurance is paid up before you try this, and if somehow we don't get together in the next few weeks to compare notes I will infer that it didn't work. Will be keeping my one on the News Gazette too... <grin>

Quote Originally Posted by coolkayaker1 View Post
    I am wondering why a strap suspension directly around the tree—perhaps with a couple wraps—cannot be used with the marlin spike hitch and one toggle, but no second “rope” toggle or other hardware.

Please see Grizz’s video at precisely 7 minutes, 55 seconds:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPpndtQKWH4

Notice that he is showing how to wrap a single rope line around the tree strap toggle and using a second toggle for the rope.

Why would one not simply have a single line permanently attached to the hammock, bring it around the tree once or twice (the line could be a rope, a la Hennessy, or a tree-saving 1” strap), back down parallel to the ascending line (to the tree), and then do precisely what Grizz did in the video with his rope toggle: put in a single marlin spike hitch. The adjustment for tension is simply to put the spike hitch at the proper spot in the rope/strap.

This would seem to have advantage of a truly single line (strap or rope) suspension—just one line from hammock, around tree, then toggle/spike hitched to proper length. Need only one toggle, or better yet, a trail stick. No descending rings, carabiners, Dutch clips, Tri-glides or second ropes (one from hammock, one from tree) required. No knot tying (other than learning the marlin spike). Don’t even need a sewn loop in the rope or strap—just a free end.

I tried it tonight on a chair back, and it holds very firmly (I did not sit in a hammock) and shows no sign of slippage and is adjustable.

Thoughts?
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    ENO, HH ULB, WBBB, GT
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    AHELR,Agnes,WInCub
    Suspension
    Cinch,Tglides,Whoo

Ha ha, Life Insurance--funny Grizz!

Grizz: "So just make sure your life insurance is paid up before you try this, and if somehow we don't get together in the next few weeks to compare notes I will infer that it didn't work. Will be keeping my one on the News Gazette too... <grin>" -- pretty funny stuff. The only thing that will save me from a tragic end is the fact that the flatlands of Illinois don't allow any of those fancy hanging spots like in the ENO ads---rocky ledges, high sierras, etc. No, the worst that could happen here is a bruised ego if "me fall down and go boom". LOL

Grizz: "what you propose to do is that in your approach there will be an appreciable angle between the two lengths of straps coming to the join from the tree."
    True, but I see a similar sharp angle in any Tri-glides photo or in your Tri-glides video.

Rope, the ultimate lightweight total suspension, could be used with a few vertical trailsticks inside it for tree protection.

So, all in all, I got this notion from watching your video and a light bulb went off. So, there are Grizz Beaks and Grizz Bridge, and now the Grizz Truly Single Line Marlin Spike Suspension System.

(See how quickly I give you full credit when liability and litigation issues loom like tornado skies over Meadowbrook Park).
    Last edited by coolkayaker1; 08-29-2010 at 16:49.

Hammock
    ENO, HH ULB, WBBB, GT
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    AHELR,Agnes,WInCub
    Suspension
    Cinch,Tglides,Whoo

Tested---It Works! The CoolGrizz Suspension.

I went to Lake of the Woods today briefly with my ENO DN. I have the Tri-glides setup, using a permanent attachment through the seam on the gathered end. I removed the Tri-Glide, leaving me with essentially a 7 foot strap with a free end (no loop, nothing).

Wrapping the free end around the tree, and simply doing the marlin spike hitch with a stick, it was pure magic! Did same on other end, tentatively sat and reclined in the hammock, and then Ahhhh! It was very stable. No slippage of knot, and no slip of strap down tree (although I was on large trees, and another wrap around the tree might have been nice).

So no Tri-glide. No 'biner. No Dutch clip. No descending rings. No whoopie slings (adjusted easily--I just wrapped strap around tree, pulled it to proper tension, then added a MSH with twig). No knots (unless you consider the MSH a knot--but it's so idiot-proof that even I could learn it). One line, permanently fixed to hammock, other end free.

If nothing else, this can be used for emergency situations in the woods: broken carabiner, whoopie sling rips, etc. But it seems to be a great primary method.

Grizz gets credit for this based on the 7:55 min epiphany that he gave me from his video primer, a lightbulb went off in my head. The CoolGrizz suspension!

Okay, I'm being funny here. But for those that have been on HF longer than I (which is all of you), is there another example of a true single line suspension? Maybe there is.

P.S. Next up for me, is to use "hollow" padded strap that allows amsteel through it---simple cut a piece about two feet long, slide it over the amsteel, unsecured, and slide it easily to the part of the rope that is against the tree. I also have thick plastic tubing, etc.-- many ways to protect the tree. If this was done adequately to protect the tree, then the entire system could otherwise be made of a single piece of permanently-affixed-to-hammock amsteel. ultra lightweight!
    Last edited by coolkayaker1; 08-29-2010 at 16:56.

Hammock
    ENO, HH ULB, WBBB, GT
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    AHELR,Agnes,WInCub
    Suspension
    Cinch,Tglides,Whoo

Photo proof

Edit: (to Mike's comment below) Thanks, Mike, for the link. I feel upright (vertical) sticks (2-3) under the amsteel would sufficiently blunt force on tree, but that is a 'hot topic" on HF. I know, though, I brought it up.

I hope to get others to comment on the merits, demerits, pros and cons of the CoolGrizz system before we apply for our patent and then sell it online.

Wait...it's so despicably simple, there's nothing to sell!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by coolkayaker1; 08-29-2010 at 18:13.

Hammock
    WB Traveller Dbl 1.7
    Insulation
    DIY PLUQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Marlinspike hitch on a bight? Neat idea!

However, the covered amsteel won't work - a flexible covering won't spread the force. You'd still need to use straps.

Here's a link to the discussion.
    Mike

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeN View Post
    Marlinspike hitch on a bight? Neat idea!

However, the covered amsteel won't work - a flexible covering won't spread the force. You'd still need to use straps.

Here's a link to the discussion.
    Howdy MikeN—in the video (and in practice) I put this MS hitch on Amsteel—but the toggle has to be tough enough to take it. Toggles made of Easton tent pegs have proven themselves tough enough to take it.

CK1—doesn't matter if an idea is obvious to be able to patent it. But you have, ah, muddied the waters by posting the idea and the pictures in a public forum prior to filing. Guess they just don't bring you up to speed on patent law in med school——just malpractice law
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    ENO, HH ULB, WBBB, GT
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    AHELR,Agnes,WInCub
    Suspension
    Cinch,Tglides,Whoo

Ha Ha. yes, waters muddied, idea sullied by online posting

Perhaps we will now have to give this revolutionary idea away to the masses, and when the world is hanging from a single strap marlin spike system, and we eat Spam sandwiches on day-old Wonder bread, at least we'll know we've contributed to the greater good.

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Idea sounds good to me. Way back when I was working with strap suspensions, I ran a spike through a bight that was pushed through an end loop.
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    ENO, HH ULB, WBBB, GT
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    AHELR,Agnes,WInCub
    Suspension
    Cinch,Tglides,Whoo
    frawg--cool. but how did you adjust length?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast