Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images

DIY custom suspension

Well, I did it. I bought my own supplies and made my own suspension! Early hang with the half completed suspension (one side done the other "rigged") went well yesterday. I wanted to try out what I had before dark to make sure I was on the right track....

I bought some 1" straps from Harbor Freight. I see what everyone here means about their being light. So I cut off the buckles and hand stitched loops on the end of each. I went to West Marine and found 7/64" amsteel for 27˘/ft, but they match published online prices (with a print out of the webpage), so they matched Redden's 20˘/ft (WM only had silver, so I will order the next batch from Redden, which, with shipping is still less than WM).

I watched the online videos and tutorials about suspension in general as well as making whoopies and straps (thanks guys! those tutorials were perfect!). As a sailor, I have done all kinds of splicing, but I must admit, burying that amsteel with a pull is e-a-s-y. And the whoopies are sooooo neat! I also made an adjustable SRL, which should make fine tuning my hang pretty easy. This setup is a dream to hang.

I have a small woodworking shop, and my next step is to turn down some toggles for marlinspikes. The question is what wood? I think I have some scrap mahogany, purplehart, maple, cocobolo, paduak, bocote and some others, all of which should be good. What kind of strength do I need and what diameter wood is appropriate for the toggles?
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    congratulations, post pics

• + New Posts