Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Summer Incubator
    Suspension
    SMC GH Spyderline
    I recently did 2 trips, one at Wilson Creek and the other at Raven Rock in NC. Wilson Creek got down to the mid-50s and Raven Rock on the weekend was high 40s Friday night.

My 55lb English Lab slept on a Ruff Wear Mt. Bachelor Pad Dog Bed.

I've been looking into Dog blinds for colder weather, but I haven't found anything compact enough for backpacking. I'm thinking of making my own. This way I can use it for Duck hunting as well.

I did come across this, which I thought was amusing...
    http://www.mysnuggiestore.com/p-2021...age-large.aspx

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.7dbl,Dangerbird 65
    Tarp
    Speer WinterTarp
    Insulation
    UGQ,JRB,MM
    Suspension
    WB, Whoopie Slings
    I wouldn't recommend the snuggie, I found it cheaply made and very thin. If you were to make your own DIY version with heavier material and better quality velcro or closer system, I'm sure that would be much better!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dl, HH deluxe
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix uq
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

Smile

I have been trying to figure out how to get my two greys out with me. Like your pit, my two boys are short hair and get cold real easy. (and also rescues)

Keep us posted on how the igloo is coming and maybe if I ever get a hammock setup like WV did, I'll post the pics.

Just completed a short hiking/camping trip, maybe dropped into the upper 50's. I was in my hammock, my young large lab mix was just on the ground, and my partner had her lab/pit mix in her one man tent with her.

I think the small dog hammock would be cool. I wonder if my dog Beau would even try it. I also need to modify his dog bag, it kept moving around. Luckily, I am a nice guy and we was only carrying his bowl, leash, and long leash.

Good luck.

cutter

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenal View Post
    I have been trying to figure out how to get my two greys out with me. Like your pit, my two boys are short hair and get cold real easy. (and also rescues)

Keep us posted on how the igloo is coming and maybe if I ever get a hammock setup like WV did, I'll post the pics.
    I put the Igloo on hold for a bit. Work has kept me from getting any time on the thread injector. I've got all the foam cut out, and the basic igloo shape, I just need to sew the PU coated fabric around the dome and figure out how to attach the dome to the bed. I just haven't had the time!

On a similar note, I figured out why I put the grosgrain loops on the bed!

I drove 4 hours south to visit my parents last weekend, and decided it would be a great bonding time for me and the puppy. I had her whole crate sitting in the back of the car (Scion wagon - plenty of room) with the door open, but she wanted to sit up front with me. So I used the grosgrain loops I put into the corners of the bed to bungie the bed to the passenger seat. The bungie held the bed to the seat well, even with her constant changing of position, and the fleece gave her traction enough that she could dig in during hard stops or corning.

Luna the Pretty Pitbull was a very happy puppy and we had some great quality time together on the drive down and back up. The bed is 2' X 2', and helped to bridge the gap between the bucket seats, and just barely gave me enough room to shift...so she would curl up on the bed and put her head in my lap (and snore).

Good times! I hope camping with her this upcoming weekend is just as fun!

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    P.S. My fiance was pissed about all the dog hair on the passenger seat!

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.7dbl,Dangerbird 65
    Tarp
    Speer WinterTarp
    Insulation
    UGQ,JRB,MM
    Suspension
    WB, Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
    P.S. My fiance was pissed about all the dog hair on the passenger seat!
    Lol, Tallula loves driving everywhere with me, the one side of my truck is covered in dog hair...fortunately I'm the only one who drives it!

I recently picked her up a rainsuit to wear in the canoe under her lifejacket as well as a thick wool sweater and wool blanket for sleep time...hopefully that keeps her warm this trip.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    Hate to be the boring ole stick-in-the-mud on this thread, but it bears saying:

If anyone is taking their dog into the backcountry, make sure you have a leash and control it! (This is especially important in bear country, for your own safety, too, as well as that of other hikers, and especially the bear.).

I'm getting tired of dogs running at me on trails in the middle of nowhere, scaring the %#$@ out of me and my wife, and the owners coming along five minutes late, saying "Oh little Jimmy would never hurt anybody!!" I can't know that when the dog is running at me. (This recently happened to me with a Siberian Husky---you can guess what my first thought was!)

There are so many good and decent dog owners with well-behaved dogs (I'm sure all HF members with dogs fit this profile :-) ) But there's always some bozo who gives everyone a bad name. Let's not be that Bozo.

Back on topic, looking for something for your dog to sleep in, I saw a little kids' tent in the park the other day. I think it might have been made for a baby to sleep in at the beach or something. Try looking in Baby Gear stores? just a thought..

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Summer Incubator
    Suspension
    SMC GH Spyderline
    Quote Originally Posted by sturgeon View Post
    Hate to be the boring ole stick-in-the-mud on this thread, but it bears saying:

If anyone is taking their dog into the backcountry, make sure you have a leash and control it! (This is especially important in bear country, for your own safety, too, as well as that of other hikers, and especially the bear.).

I'm getting tired of dogs running at me on trails in the middle of nowhere, scaring the %#$@ out of me and my wife, and the owners coming along five minutes late, saying "Oh little Jimmy would never hurt anybody!!" I can't know that when the dog is running at me. (This recently happened to me with a Siberian Husky---you can guess what my first thought was!)
    IMHO it is safer to not hold onto a leash while in the backcountry with your dog. It's safer for you and for the dog.

I put a 8" leash on my dog while hiking or backpacking. BUT, I also have verbal control over my dog b/c I've spent the time to field train her. In heavier terrain, I don't allow her to ever go more than 15 yards in front of me on. If I can't see around the bend, then I'll recall her or make her sit and wait.

When approached by other people (with or without dogs), I'll move off to the side of the trail, put her in a sit and hold her short leash. That's just courtesy. You don't know if the other people are scared of dogs or how well socialized the other dogs are.

Make sure the dog collar makes some noise, either from the tags or put a bell on it if there is going to be predators like bears or coyotes.

That being said, depending on where you are in the country, having a Yorky on a 10ft extend-a-leash is just asking to be eaten by a coyote. So use some common sense.

If in Cougar country, I'd seriously consider bringing a Ruger Blackhawk. At minimum make sure your own pack extends up past your neck. It could save your life.

FYI, to prevent my dog from visiting other campers at a campground, I run a light cord (like you would use for a bear bag) along the ground between the trees under the hammock. To that I attach a 6 foot lead.

By no means am I an expert with a dog in the backcountry... that's my 4 cents.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    Rob, you sound like one of the good 'uns...I wish every dog owner were like you!

Anyway, I guess I shouldn't have derailed the thread with my rant...carry on! I'll shut my yap now.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234