Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter
    Tarp
    DIY-needs doors
    Insulation
    CC foam pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Trying to decide

Like the title says, I'm trying to decide between a bridge hammock and a "regular" gathered end type...or even one that does both. I've found tons of great "how to" material, but what are the criteria that you ( the reader) used to make your particular decision?

Not trying to sound whiny or anything like it, but for the first time in a good long while I find myself facing too many choices. So, I invite your opinion here gentle reader, and I would ask you to tell me how you made the choices, and why....as well as what changes you made...and why. Effectively I'm looking to tap into the collective wisdom above and beyond the "how to" stage.

Thanks,

SB

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by solobear View Post
    Like the title says, I'm trying to decide between a bridge hammock and a "regular" gathered end type...or even one that does both. I've found tons of great "how to" material, but what are the criteria that you ( the reader) used to make your particular decision?
    Only you can decide for yourself which style is better for you. The quickest and easiest way to do that is to find a group hang in your area and go. People will let you check out and try out their hammocks of either style.

Check out the Trip Planning section for details. I believe there is the Mid Atlantic Hammock Hangers hang coming up mid October.

Cheers

Brian
    Last edited by BrianWillan; 09-27-2010 at 18:22.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Head to the MAHHA hang and there will be plenty of both to try out. It's all a simple matter of personal preference. I'm a gathered-end guy, but that's just me. As always, HYOH (hang your own hammock).
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Never tried one, but it would be easy to get a feel for the concept before buying,

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by weedeater64 View Post
    Never tried one, but it would be easy to get a feel for the concept before buying,

sorry but that is precisely the wrong way to test out the lay of a bridge hammock. I made several and they look nothing like that and do not function the way that would. The bridge is a much more complex design with cat cuts and an hourglass shape to the bed which simply can not be disregarded. The suspension is also a very technical system as well as the spreader bars. The best way to try before you buy as far as a bridge hammock goes is to find someone close by who has one and ask to give it a try. That's the beauty of a group hang. A virtual buffet of choices.

My wife likes her bridge but I prefer my gathered end HH for several reasons.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    sorry but that is precisely the wrong way to test out the lay of a bridge hammock. I made several and they look nothing like that and do not function the way that would. The bridge is a much more complex design with cat cuts and an hourglass shape to the bed which simply can not be disregarded. The suspension is also a very technical system as well as the spreader bars. The best way to try before you buy as far as a bridge hammock goes is to find someone close by who has one and ask to give it a try. That's the beauty of a group hang. A virtual buffet of choices.

My wife likes her bridge but I prefer my gathered end HH for several reasons.

Two questions,

When you lay in a bridge hammock,

does it lay flat head to toe?

is the side to side profile a U shape?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    It has a very flat centerline lie. Right down the middle. I would not say the side is U-shaped when it hangs. It is easy to eyeball figure it is cut straight. But in the building of it, the sides are cut in an hour glass shape. Wider at the ends, narrower in the middle. (1st generation Bridge.) There has been a lot of refinement which I have not kept up with but the essential shape has the same characteristics. There are specific ratios of the suspension system which included the spreader bars. As I say, I have not kept up with the technology because I prefer the gathered end HH.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    It has a very flat centerline lie. Right down the middle. I would not say the side is U-shaped when it hangs. It is easy to eyeball figure it is cut straight. But in the building of it, the sides are cut in an hour glass shape. Wider at the ends, narrower in the middle. (1st generation Bridge.) There has been a lot of refinement which I have not kept up with but the essential shape has the same characteristics. There are specific ratios of the suspension system which included the spreader bars. As I say, I have not kept up with the technology because I prefer the gathered end HH.
    Ok, so end to end it would function exactly like the stretcher, flat.

What about the side to side profile, if not U shaped then what?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    knock yourself out... wrong thread... Try it an report back.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by solobear View Post
    ...trying to decide between a bridge hammock and a "regular" gathered end type...or even one that does both.
    You'll have to make three and then decide!

I'd try them in this order: gathered end, bridge, does both.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast