Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Images

IX UQ Shifting Issues

Hey all,
    I recently made a 3/4 length IX underquilt, and I'm having trouble keeping it in place while sleeping/tossing and turning. I am using it in the Warbonnet Blackbird. I don't have time to test it out again before a big trip, so I need to modify it blind.

The UQ is a basic rectangle with a couple pleats on the short ends. It's three layers of IX with a nylon layer on the outside. I have channels on all four sides, but there's nothing in them yet. I sewed on six grosgrain loops: one on each corner, and one in the center of each short side.

I used it over the weekend by attaching it to the hammock with shock cord and micro-biners on all four corners.
    It seemed to be working fine, but I'm a side sleeper, and each time I would switch sides, the UQ would slide away from the left/door side of the WBBB. I could open up the zipper and pull it up, but it wouldn't stay there for long. I also got a cold spot near my neck where I think the top short edge was gaping. The coldest temp of the night was around freezing (32 degrees).

Any advice about what I could add to keep it in place?
    Would running shock cord through the channels on the long sides do it?
    Should I use one long piece of shock cord through the long sides that doubles as the suspension?
    Any thoughts are appreciated.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Sprite; 09-27-2010 at 17:23. Reason: adding photo

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I have the same trouble with every UQ. I may be a restless sleeper. What I do is sew small 1/4" elastic loops on teh hammock where I want the 4 corners of the UQ to be. I either use a mitten clip but usually just use the same biner that holds the UQ. Also AHE has those triangle thingies that hold an UQ in place better. I never tried one but I bet it would work.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
    ...The coldest temp of the night was around freezing (32 degrees).
    Fantastic results! If you were acceptably comfortable at freezing with a poorly fitting 3 layer IX UQ, you done real good!

I have channels on all four sides, but there's nothing in them yet.
    From the picture, it appears that you have brought the suspension together up at the ridgeline, so the end gaps will go away when someone is in the hammock. That's a good rig.

...the UQ would slide away
    Tighten the suspension.

...got a cold spot near my neck where I think the top short edge was gaping.
    Try putting a shock cord in that end channel, and tightening it up. Also, you can bring the legs of the suspension together at the head end, like you did at the foot end. (Hard to tell which end is brought together above your top cover.)

Any advice about what I could add to keep it in place?
    It might help... give it a try!

Should I use one long piece of shock cord through the long sides that doubles as the suspension?
    That will make it easier to adjust it while you are inside. IMHO, you just need to tighten the suspension.

Did you use a differential cut?

- MacEntyre

P.S. The triangle thingies Dutch mentioned help do what you did when you brought the suspension legs together at the ridgeline.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Images
    Wow! Thanks for all the feedback already. I will definitely bring along the supplies to try out some of these techniques next week.
    I hadn't considered modifying the actual hammock at all, as Dutch suggested, and that's a great idea.
    MacEntyre, I only tied up the suspension around the head, and I didn't tighten the suspension at all once it was on initially, so that's a quick fix I will definitely try.
    Thanks!

Hammock
    Hammecks, WBBBs
    Tarp
    WB Edge+SuperFly
    Insulation
    DIYIXUQ+TQ+SngFit
    Suspension
    webbing, whoOpies

Any thoughts are appreciated.
    Yes, at this stage of your experiment running a shock cord thru all of your channels will give you a full range of adjustments.
    You can try various adjustments on your trip.
    Then perhaps make them permanent later.

Both of our experimental IX UQs now have four channels.
    One UQ from the beginning. Second as adjustment to figure were and how deep to adjust the darts.

Having one long shockcord with cordlocks on 2 diagonal corners will give you a range of adjustment.
    ( or 4 corners for more range of adjustment ).

I agree with MacEntyre, you have done well.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I only tied up the suspension around the head, and I didn't tighten the suspension at all once it was on initially
    Then all you need to do, IMHO, is put a shock cord in the head end channel and tighten it a bit, then tighten the suspension at the foot end. Oh, and get triangle thingies from AHE.

The reason for tightening the suspension at the foot end is so you won't move the UQ up. You want your shoulders to be on the edge of the head end, to spread it and close the gaps.

The reason you need to use the head end channel is because you did not put in enough darts. (Kinda what G...Hawk said...) I use four (4) darts, each 1.5" wide at the edge, in each end including the corners. No biggie, though, since you have a channel.

Good luck!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    HH UExpl; WBBB; JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    CCS; HH Hex; WB Su
    Insulation
    MW-3, Sierra Sniv
    Suspension
    Woopie, Dutch Clip
    Sprite,

I've been field testing a Baby Orca with a WBBB for a few months now and love it, but I noted the same issue. I've got 20 nights camping with it and more than 20 nights in the back yard. Low temp so far only 37°F; still looking for the minimum, but getting close.

On an outing I became frustrated and improvised this: cut up some para cord into two 12" lengths (one for each end). Hang the UQ shock cord suspension in the usual fashion around the knobby gathered ends. Follow the ridgeline in from each end about 14", then pull up the elastic suspension cord from each side. Attach the short paracord to the elastic cord at that point using a Prussic knot. Then take the two ends (now 6" long) and wrap them a few turns around the other elastic cord, draping it over the ridgeline. Secure with a shoelace knot. You can slide it to fine tune the underquilt hang. This acts like suspenders for the elastic line, bringing the corners up. You release the shoe knot and can leave the short cord attached when you take it down. It was a temporary fix, but I've not changed it yet.
    Last edited by canoeski; 09-28-2010 at 04:34.
    Not all who wander are lost.

• + New Posts