Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Images

Needing a new tarp

Wednesday night it got down to 30*, ao I spent the night hanging in my parents' back yard to test out my winter setup. This is the coldest I have been able to hang since I got my thru hike gear together. Everything went fine, but the next morning my dog tore my hammock. He slept inside, and when my mom let him out to paint the town yellow, he got too excited when he saw me and pounced on the tarp. Atleast he missed me.

Anyways.. now there are two little holes and some abrasion marks in my MacCat tarp, and I don't feel it is reliable for a thru hike anymore. I email Brian about a new one, but don't have much hope of hearing back in time. My two optinos are either a homemade Blackcat, or Speer's winter tarp. A Blackcat is out of my sewing abilities at htis time, so I won't even try to attempt it. Does anyone know if Speer's winter tarp would be good or a thru hike. I know it would require 4 extra stakes, but the tarp is still pretty light, and the wind flaps would be nice.

My other question is, is there anyone here who has made a Blaccat already, and would be willing to make one for me? I can pay with money, beer, or helpful services. For example, if you have a cute daughter around my age, I would be willing to keep her company while you make the tarp. That way she doesn't get bored, or go hop on the back of some strange guys motorcycle and run off forever.

Any advice, tips, comments, or daughters would be appreciated. Thanks

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Cerberus- I just spoke with Brian yesterday. He is gearing up for a couple of exams, but said he is going to be tarp building after that. I bet you can still get the tarp in time if you decide to stick with a MacCat.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Cerberus- I just spoke with Brian yesterday. He is gearing up for a couple of exams, but said he is going to be tarp building after that. I bet you can still get the tarp in time if you decide to stick with a MacCat.
    I hope so. I did send him an email yesterday evening. When I say I don't have hopes of hearing back, that isn't a comment against Brain. Just wanted to get that out for anyone who reads this thread. He has a life and future to plan for, so if I never hear form him than that means he is focusing on his future.

I would like to stick with the MacCat design. One thing I noticed about Speer's winter tarp is that if you cut off the wind darts and cat cut the new edges, you have an exact copy of a MacCat. So if I can't get one, I will probably go with a Speer, and modify it. I wonder if Speer can make it in black? I'll call him in a couple hours. Give him time to wake up and have some coffee.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I do know that Speer has some Winter Tarps in stock. Since they just came out a couple of days ago, the opinions on this tarp may be sorta sparse. There was a prototype at Speer's last Hot Springs camp out so maybe someone who saw one there can offer some comments. I asked Ed about different colors and they are only offered in the gray.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

I am waiting on Ed to call me back to order one.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    I do know that Speer has some Winter Tarps in stock. Since they just came out a couple of days ago, the opinions on this tarp may be sorta sparse. There was a prototype at Speer's last Hot Springs camp out so maybe someone who saw one there can offer some comments. I asked Ed about different colors and they are only offered in the gray.

I was at the hangout, and saw the tarp. Unfortunately I didn't look it over too closely. My only concern would be the extra stake out points, and how much area it coveres. If it coveres a large area, then that's a large area I have to find that is free of limbs, bushes, and saplings that may damage the tarp. It is a couple inches longer, and 1.5 feet wider than the MacCat deluxe. I think it should work, and it provides great coverage for only 2 oz. more.

Speer's website said he will be closed from the 15th to the end of the month. I figure I will wait until the end of the month for Brian to reply to my email. If I don't hear aything from him by then I will get one of Speers.

Images
    You might also PM Brian through the forum.
    It might not get lost as easily as an email.
    Also, I wonder if you could still use just four stakes on the winter tarp.
    Based on the pics, if you stuck with just the A-frame setup (like th maccat), it looks like you could pull two lines to one stake.
    That wasn't clear, attached is an artiste rendition.

Disclaimer: Winter tarp sketch was hoisted from the Speer site in order to possibly show a point and therefore perhaps lead to sales for the Speers and therefore is in no way intended to be thought of as stealing or some other such nonsense
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott

"Man is a stream whose source is hidden."
    RWE

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by schrochem View Post
    You might also PM Brian through the forum.
    It might not get lost as easily as an email.
    Also, I wonder if you could still use just four stakes on the winter tarp.
    Based on the pics, if you stuck with just the A-frame setup (like th maccat), it looks like you could pull two lines to one stake.
    That wasn't clear, attached is an artiste rendition.

Disclaimer: Winter tarp sketch was hoisted from the Speer site in order to possibly show a point and therefore perhaps lead to sales for the Speers and therefore is in no way intended to be thought of as stealing or some other such nonsense

I had the same idea in mind to help eliminate 2 stakes. You can always tie your guy line around rocks.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I saw the prototype at TrailDays - looks like a great product. I didn't inspect it too closely b/c all of Ed's stuff I've seen has been high quality...I just looked at how the design was different from other tarps I've seen. I like the idea...not sure how leaving off two stakes would work out for this design, though. Maybe you could stake out the middle sections and tie the ends together to keep them from flapping? I'm sure Dave would have some ideas if you asked him over on the yahoo group. He has an account here but I don't think he visits regularly.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    A question for those of who who have seen the Speer Winter Tarp: is there a seam where the flaps are (green dotted line in the picture above)?

www.meancatcoffee.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast